Odd Vibration with odd found source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have found out something I am curious about, and wanted to ask other 4th Gen RAM owners about, and also if you have other generation MOPAR trucks or even non-MOPAR but with a similar body design.

Here is what is happening. My Dad (who also has a 4th Gen) was taking me to pick up my Warlock from an oil change, and he showed me something very odd. His is a '17 RAM 4x4 Quad Cab with a 345 Hemi, as far as I know, everything stock on it, no suspension upgrade, stock size wheels and tires, etc. While driving along, he rolled down just the back 2 windows, and there started being a bad vibration. He was going about 40 at the time, and the faster he went, the worse the shaking/vibration/sound got. It got so bad as to make our ears feel all stuffed up, like when you change elevation drastically. Rolling up the windows made the "problem" go away. Rolling them down again, it came back.

Now, I have tried the following on my truck. I do not know if it would have done the same with his. Presumably yes, because it is also a 4th Gen.

'21 Warlock, 4x4 Quad Cab with 345 Hemi, and the only change I made (so far) was an aftermarket K&N filter, and stock style, but blacked outlug nuts. Nothing that should change the operation that drastically.

I did the same test as he showed me, rolled down just the back windows, and the vibration started in. It starts about 40 or so, just like on his, and accelerating up to highway speeds, it keeps going. I had it up to 80 or so on the highway, but that section was being worked on, and was really rough. Couldn't tell if it was still there or not. But around town, it definitely was. Tried starting out with just the rear windows rolled down, and with the vibration happening, and then rolled down one of the fronts, and the vibration went away immediately. Didn't matter which side. Rolling up one of the rear windows also made the vibration go away.

Anyone else notice this? Or if not, could you try it next time you think of it and let me know what happens? Especially if you are in a different mfg/style truck, like on a RAM Crew Cab, 4th or 5th Gen.

Thanks in advance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's common in a lot of various vehicles by multiple manufacturers, some worse than others. It due in part from vehicles being aerodynamic and air tight.
If you want to drive with the back window open, crack open the rear sliding window and the buffering will stop.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
One of our company vehicles is a chevrolet hhr. I had to test drive it one time and put one of the back windows down and it was unbearable. Many vehicles do it.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you are experiencing is called "wind buffeting" and it is explained in your owners manual

I’m amazed at how many questions are asked on vehicle forums, with the answers contained in the vehicle owner’s manuals.

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont know much about the wind thing. Sounds like a non issue. But I like that old Honda on 16Ram4X4 page.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I’m amazed at how many questions are asked on vehicle forums, with the answers contained in the vehicle owner’s manuals.
Amazes me how easily bothered some people are when others are looking for answers in forums which are meant to discuss and find or get answers to their questions ...

Not everyone is going to think that something like this is going to be in their owner's manual, chill out seriously ... the guy asked a legitimate questions and others had no problem giving him answers ...

kero937

Reaction score
Ram Year
My wife’s Audi Q7 does this too. As soon as one of the kids rolls their window down in the back, I crack mine to stop it from happening. Agree with the above person that mentioned the HHR, I drove one for years and the buffeting was so bad I thought either the windshield would push out or my ear drums would burst.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amazes me how easily bothered some people are when others are looking for answers in forums which are meant to discuss and find or get answers to their questions ...

Not everyone is going to think that something like this is going to be in their owner's manual, chill out seriously ... the guy asked a legitimate questions and others had no problem giving him answers ...
Amen.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
What helped on my brother's Ram 1500 was adding those smoked plastic rain deflectors. He didn't have a sliding rear window to open.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Jetta that does this real bad too. I've experienced it on a few rental cars. It's not common per-se, but not unheard of either. Like another poster pointed out, if ya crack one of the front windows an inch it changes the wind-dynamics inside the cabin and goes away, or at least minimized to the point of not being bothersome.

It's probably not that major of a problem if neither of you had noticed it up until this point.

Cheers!!