Odds of plenum gasket again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 cid
1999 Ram 1500 Laramie, 4X4, 360 cid., auto., reg cab, short bed. Appx. 11 yrs. ago I had the plenum gasket problem, using appx 1 qt. oil per 800 mi. Until then I had not heard of this problem. Mechanic that found problem, talked like he knew all about these problems. Advised that the OEM gaskets were paper & all would eventually fail. He advised that a new , non OEM gasket would fix my problem. He took me to the back & showed me a new gasket (looked like rubber with fiber in it) that was laying on his tool box ready to be put in another customers 360 cid. Back then he never mentioned, & probably didn't know, about a kit, replacing the plenum, replacing the intake, or anything except replacing the gasket. All has been great for past 10 yrs. till recently, have started using oil again. Eng now has 130K & is using appx. 1 qt per 1200 mi. If I knew it was the gasket again, I'd probably spend the $$$ to fix it again, but I don't want to get it all opened up & find it in need of valve seals or something even more expensive. Not wanting to spend big $$$ on a 22 yr. old ram. From what I've read no way to know "for sure" till we get in there. Looking for opinions on the odds of this gasket repair fixing it again vs. the odds of getting in there & needing more expensive repairs? Just looking down in there, I don't see oil, & rarely I do notice a puff of smoke. All opinions appreciated.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its very simple to check if the gasket is bad by looking down into the throttle body with a light and seeing if oil is in there. I just did mine a few months back with the upgraded plate and gasket. I have a 99 as well just with the 5.2/318 motor. It sat for a long time due to personal issue but after 7 years, it back on the road driving. Personally they are good trucks and worth keeping them up and going. I keep cost down by doing my own work and any questions I may have can be answered here when its active. Good luck with your truck.

OP
OP
R

rick phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 cid
Back when mine was done, the Dodge guy told me only the 360's had this problem, I never had a clue the 318's also were affected. As said, I see no oil when looking down in where I take the filter housing off.