Odometer Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dang, that would be painful if I were to put a vehicle on the East Coast auto train specifically to NOT put the miles on it. 800 miles later....

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
OK, I admit that I am an old fart.
What in the world am I missing here?
Why on earth would a dealer place something like that in your OBD11 port?
What do they have to gain? Could it be that they have had problems with trucks stolen from their lot and they use these devices routinely for tracking but forgot to remove it before you took possession? You are obviously not local to them and if another dealer had to access the OBD11 they would find it. Maybe they include it with every vehicle they sell as an accessory for the buyer? Guess I am naive. I just cannot see any benefit to the dealer in deliberately leaving a device like that connected. Anything on the invoice that shows a fee for some kind of recovery service system?:confused:

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OK, I admit that I am an old fart.
What in the world am I missing here?
Why on earth would a dealer place something like that in your OBD11 port?
What do they have to gain? Could it be that they have had problems with trucks stolen from their lot and they use these devices routinely for tracking but forgot to remove it before you took possession? You are obviously not local to them and if another dealer had to access the OBD11 they would find it. Maybe they include it with every vehicle they sell as an accessory for the buyer? Guess I am naive. I just cannot see any benefit to the dealer in deliberately leaving a device like that connected. Anything on the invoice that shows a fee for some kind of recovery service system?:confused:

Used to easily track a vehicle if the purchaser fails to make monthly payments?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Different Drummer they dealer installed the tracking device not only incase it's stolen off the lot but if the person who buys it stops making payments. Easier for the repo company to find it.

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Different Drummer they dealer installed the tracking device not only incase it's stolen off the lot but if the person who buys it stops making payments. Easier for the repo company to find it.

But, I paid Cash... No Finance... No Payments...

I have been talking myself out of a new RAM for years because I did not want to finance and have payments.

Two weeks ago I got the bug again... My wonderful wife of 53 years said to me "If you want a new RAM, find the one you want and buy it"
Unbeknownst to me she had been making "Truck Payments" to the savings account for the last 6 1/2 years.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
But, I paid Cash... No Finance... No Payments...

I have been talking myself out of a new RAM for years because I did not want to finance and have payments.

Two weeks ago I got the bug again... My wonderful wife of 53 years said to me "If you want a new RAM, find the one you want and buy it"
Unbeknownst to me she had been making "Truck Payments" to the savings account for the last 6 1/2 years.
Knowing you paid for it up front takes me back to my original question then.
Please, post here and let us know what the dealers explanation is for placing the device.
It's not like it is not easy to find in the OBD11 port. Try as I may to come up with some nefarious reason for the action I cannot find one.

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Knowing you paid for it up front takes me back to my original question then.
Please, post here and let us know what the dealers explanation is for placing the device.
It's not like it is not easy to find in the OBD11 port. Try as I may to come up with some nefarious reason for the action I cannot find one.

It is their $995 scam to make more money that I refused to buy..

CLAY COOLEY Connected &  Protected.jpg

Octane

Reaction score
And some never learned to set the clock on a vcr...lol

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
OK, I get it. Sort of like the warranty plans that they try to push on a buyer.
If buyer refused to buy the service as an option then the device should not be on the vehicle.
Sounds like someone screwed up and placed it on a vehicle that was not supposed to have it or it was previously put in place and not removed when the buyer refused the option. OOPS!! :oops:
They certainly would have nothing to gain if they did not receive the $995.00 fee for the service. In fact they lose the device without receiving payment.
Guess the question now is, how does the additional mileage on the vehicle get addressed?
Good luck. I am on my way to the garage to check my OBD11 port!

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
...My wonderful wife of 53 years said to me "If you want a new RAM, find the one you want and buy it"

Your wife’s a real keeper, but with 53 years, you already know that. [emoji1303]

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Myself it would not be going back to that dealer.
I'd say it was time to contact a shyster and go after them.
I'd say they owe you what ever another dealer charges you to correct the odometer,
plus fees and costs involved in figuring out what they did to your truck without permission.
Plus your aggravation and the shyster fees and expenses.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My trip odometer b has reset itself from 10,345 to 345 by its self. Then when I crossed 20,345 it reset to 345. So every 10k miles it rolls back to whatever the 100’s are. I know this because I always leave trip odometer b to match the trucks main odemeter and never set it.