off-road emergency gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As an off-roader myself, have a NOCO GB40 jump pack— with a 3 level work light and emergency strobe plus USB input and output (to recharge it or charge a phone). Used it many times for atvs, tractor, mowers and road vehicles. Different capacities offered. Better than jumper cables, especially if alone.
FEC26952-D749-4482-9A10-7AD1B2DDCF10.jpeg

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
anyone ever used their spare tire to deadman out? i had to once.heck of a lot of work but it saved my @ss and my wallet.off road recovery from where i was stuck would have cost me at least a grand.i didn't have a single thing to attach my winch to or a heavy branch to attach to my tire.i was considering the shovel but if it snapped i would have been royally screwed.i really didn't want to dig.it took a couple hours.

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Water, tow straps and shovel. Spent many days cruising in the back country over the years in small cars, vans and trucks. Often wondered what other people carried. Starting to think I am lucky to be alive and maybe my current 4/3 ton is not large enough for all this gear you guys take with you...I am getting those ***** things also, Ha!

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Matt's Off Road Recovery
Been watching his Youtube videos. I have a lot of off-road experience in 4X4 and dirt bikes. But, I have learned a lot from his channel. He can talk you thru some serious rock climbing with an old stock suburban. I was so impressed. :33:

Also, get one of these.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Matt's Off Road Recovery
Been watching his Youtube videos. I have a lot of off-road experience in 4X4 and dirt bikes. But, I have learned a lot from his channel. He can talk you thru some serious rock climbing with an old stock suburban. I was so impressed. :33:

Also, get one of these.

Here's the option I went with instead of the expensive yellow one (I am a fan of Matt as well, just not that price tag)
and 2 of these

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably the most important thing is to have a dependable vehicle in the first place ...and don't exceed it's limits. Thoroughly go around (and underneath) and inspect your truck CAREFULLY for any weakness. Reduce high-risk fail items that could strand you ...in advance so you don't have breakdowns ...the best of your abilities and budget.

How old are the idler pulleys? All the routine things (belts/plugs, hoses, seals, bearings, tires, filter, etc). What about that odd squeak or clunking you heard 2 weeks ago? High mileage or old pickup? ...might want to throw in a spare crank position sensor and/or spare cam sensor. Or replace yours and throw the old ones in as spares. The fuel pump? Any reason or funny noises? But OTOH, an original OEM fuel pump would (to me) still be better than a brand new Ebay (china), or even an OReilly's/Napa fuel pump.

If ya have certain off-road equipment, bear in mind, sometimes they are inferior to stock equipment, so tread softly until you know their integrity. For instance, there used to be these shock reloaction lower leaf-spring mounts owners used to put on their Hummers. The idea was good, but as a fabricator it was more than clear to me they were flimsy and wouldn't hold up to rigorous off-roading (and they didn't). Guys have gotten stranded and had to scramble get OEMs (or if they were lucky they had them with them) ...to get off the trail (or weld up the aftermarkets on the trail ...enough to limp out). Heavy bumpers or a lot of unnessary crap in the box also add to suspension strain. Are you taking so much emergency equipment you are adding more risk than reward? Put the heavy items at the front of the box and light things towards the rear (to distribute the load). And probably more important than anything is 'smart' driving where you don't intentionally exceed the limits of your vehicle. I've seen a few owners do exceedingly stupid things on the trail that you knew instantly was likely to break something!! LOL Learn and know the limits of your vehicle.

Nothing like an off road excursion to find the weak points. You can't anticipate everything or know certain hidden weaknesses, but if you see things in advance that are somewhat 'weak', don't take the chance, resolve it.

Here's to having a great time on the trail!! :happy160:

Last edited:

Baysider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ford F550 4x4 ambulance dead, won’t crank. Someone offers a jump from a pickup. Still won’t crank. Mechanic comes along with a mini jumper box. I say, “Uh, this thing has 3 batteries and a big Power Stroke motor. I think you might need a bigger box.” He smiles, hooks it up and vrooom up and running. I didn’t get the brand name, wish I had.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
USGS Topo Maps
Magnetic Compass (military grade)

Teach your kids how to navigate without electronics with use of declination angles, pacing for distance and setting offsets for direction

Not as convenient as GPS, but was methodology used by military successfully for many years. Good skillset for folks who venture out into wilderness/desert

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am cleaning out my truck and trying to figure out what essentials I need when for when I go to the desert with out taking up to much space. So far I have 20ft tow strap, 12ft chain, mini air compressor, tire repair kit (I also have a spare tire), flash light, Jack, duck tape, zip ties, bailing wire, small tool set. what am i missing?

Thanks everyone for your posts this is a fun and interesting thread. I like to hear everyone responses and views. my plan for this "oh **** bag" is that i can leave it in the truck no matter its 30 degrees or 115 degrees. So am i going avoid batteries, food, and first aid.
I never go in the desert without at least 3 gallons of water, 2nd way of communication (flares, mirror, radio) and always tell people where i am starting and where i am coming out and times. My dad rule was you just have to get back to blacktop (main road) doesn't matter if you have to drive with 3 tires just get back to the black top.
After living in AZ my whole and the countless hours spent camping and off-roading in the desert as many of you know you cant plan for every scenario. But now that i have kids and I want to share my love of the desert with them. Surviving and protecting them is #1. That is my main reason that I am go over my kits with a fine comb.

So after reading your posts I think i am going to break into 3 kits.
kit1 never leaves the truck, it will be non perishable tool and supplies.
lug wrench
Tool kit
tow straps
chain
zip ties
duck tape
bailing wire
paracord
jumper cables
shovel
trash bags
gloves
big ass knife
tire repair kit
glow stick
flare
jack
serpentine belt
kit2 Battery operated tools and med kit
air compressor
med kit
impact
flash light
tarp (to big to keep in the truck)
kit3 food and water
food
water
I’d get a come along. Basically a manual winch like a ratchet strap. I still keep one in my truck even after I installed a winch just as an extra assistance

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also if your driving In wooded areas a small chainsaw or really a chainsaw in general paired with an axe is always a good idea.

Ramo70

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As an off-roader myself, have a NOCO GB40 jump pack— with a 3 level work light and emergency strobe plus USB input and output (to recharge it or charge a phone). Used it many times for atvs, tractor, mowers and road vehicles. Different capacities offered. Better than jumper cables, especially if alone.
View attachment 498126
I second this one as it has saved me a few times and others that needed a boost.