Off-Road Group Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm building a configuration for a 2021 1500 Laramie and wondering if I should get the Off-Road Group. For only $840 it adds quite a few useful features:

upload_2020-11-17_22-39-14.png

I'm not planning on doing much if any serious off-roading but I do travel a lot on rough dirt and gravel roads and appreciate the extra protection.

I do have some questions though.

Does the Off-Road Group add a lift to a Laramie? I can't find anywhere where that's stated. I carefully measured the height of a 1500 at exactly 78 3/4", which just barely fits my 80" garage door opening, so any additional height is concerning. The Rebel appears to have a 1" lift, but I'm not sure if they do that on the Laramie with the ORG package.

Do the heavy-duty shocks or the All-Terrain tires adversely affect the ride?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I dont think your ride will suffer and 78 3/8 is pretty tall. I have never seen a stock 1500 have issues with a standard garage height only length. My 2500 with the offroad package clears my standard cookie cutter 7x16 garage door I cant imagine a 1500 not clearing. If your really concerned go test drive one home and pull it in and get a real measurement.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Same here. My 2500 with off road package fits in my 7' garage door. IIRC I measured my truck at 79" at the GPS antenna but my garage door goes all the way up to just above my door opening. You can probably adjust your garage door to open a little further.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got it because I wanted the hill descent and stiffer shocks and the only off roading I do is for camping but I thought having the skid plates would be a good idea. a few people I know have hit wild hogs down in the hill country of Texas and have had plenty of damage underneath so there is also that. we tow a travel trailer and we travel in the mountains a few times a year. the stiffer shocks and small amount of lift have not changed the nice ride we get from the truck.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
The package included a 1" lift over the standard height truck on the '19 version, I expect it still does. My 1500 with the ORG fits in my garage no problem. The ride on the truck is great. I wanted the package primarily for the skid plates, but the tire upgrade, which includes a full size spare, is not bad for the price either.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
The locking rear alone is nice for off-road but you also lose 4-Auto/LSD but it depends on what you need.

No clue on height. I went RAM AIR to have the variability.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The locking rear alone is nice for off-road but you also lose 4-Auto/LSD but it depends on what you need.

No clue on height. I went RAM AIR to have the variability.
You don't lose auto 4wd, just the anti-spin rear diff...at least on the Laramie trim.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
You don't lose auto 4wd, just the anti-spin rear diff...at least on the Laramie trim.

Fair enough but make note that if you use it like Metro-Jethro there is a BIG difference between locking and anti-spin while in "Auto"

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm building a configuration for a 2021 1500 Laramie and wondering if I should get the Off-Road Group. For only $840 it adds quite a few useful features:

View attachment 227784

I'm not planning on doing much if any serious off-roading but I do travel a lot on rough dirt and gravel roads and appreciate the extra protection.

Does the Off-Road Group add a lift to a Laramie? I can't find anywhere where that's stated. I carefully measured the height of a 1500 at exactly 78 3/4", which just barely fits my 80" garage door opening, so any additional height is concerning. The Rebel appears to have a 1" lift, but I'm not sure if they do that on the Laramie with the ORG package.

On another forum they state in the thread the off-road has the 1" lift. FWIW

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Fair enough but make note that if you use it like Metro-Jethro there is a BIG difference between locking and anti-spin while in "Auto"
Not sure why you felt the need to tell me that, but thanks? My reason for replying to your post was to correct what you said about losing the auto 4wd with the ORG. That's simply not true (who's Metro-Jethro anyway?). You're right though, locking and anti-spin are very different systems.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure why you felt the need to tell me that, but thanks? My reason for replying to your post was to correct what you said about losing the auto 4wd with the ORG. That's simply not true (who's Metro-Jethro anyway?). You're right though, locking and anti-spin are very different systems.

I was just offering up some added advise to the OP. I figured it could not hurt. Did not mean to offend you.

Metro-Jethro - technically is a person who is country now living in the city, but it pertains to using a truck to haul groceries and people and not really use it like a truck. Like most city people would.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

View attachment 227784

Yes get the org

Black 20 Ram

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was just offering up some added advise to the OP. I figured it could not hurt. Did not mean to offend you.

Metro-Jethro - technically is a person who is country now living in the city, but it pertains to using a truck to haul groceries and people and not really use it like a truck. Like most city people would.
No worries. I wasn't offended, just wasn't sure why you quoted me if you were advising the OP. It's all good. :happy160:

Thanks for the definition. Definitely describes me LOL. I use my truck like a car most of the time, but occasionally it comes in handy if I'm doing work on or around the house. Or for those days when the city decides not to plow the snow on my street. The extra ground clearance means I can go to work when a car just wouldn't be able to. I don't really need a truck, I just prefer driving one.

Back to the OP's original question, the ORG is definitely worth getting. But you might have problems fitting in the garage if your opening is only 80 inches. Test drive a Laramie with the ORG and take it to your garage and see if it fits.

The ride in my Laramie with the ORG is as nice as the ride in my wife's Limited without the ORG. I mean, there is probably a slight difference in ride quality, but people have mentioned my Laramie rides like a luxury car. Don't worry about it affecting ride quality. It's a non-issue.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I compared the overall height for the Laramie and Rebel the Ram page shows them having the same height - so it seems hard to tell if the ORG/Rebel actually gain 1 inch or not over the standard 2021 1500. I wish there was more clarity from RAM

VWRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing to keep in mind. My 2019 4X4 has the Off Road graphics on each side of the bed but because it has 22 inch wheels the ORG was deleted. Why the graphics are there I have no idea.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the excellent and very helpful input.

I've been trying to find a Laramie with the ORG in my area to measure but the closest thing locally is a Rebel. I'll go measure that this weekend.

The RAM website says 1500's are 77.7" high, but this is not true. I measured a non-ORG-equipped Laramie from the top of the Shark Fin to the ground using a 4' level for accuracy and got exactly 78 3/4". So, I assume with the ORG it'll be around 79 3/4" which gives me a whopping 1/4" clearance, LOL.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my laramie with the ORG is 80" tall

Justin Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
simply put. Yes it’s worth it. The extra screens are super awesome and the locking diff is the difference maker. It does lift the truck an inch but it’s worth it.

View attachment 227784

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
having the full size spare is nice and the hill descent works really nice on mountain roads.