Oil building on crank case vent hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddyswang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 2500 Hemi 5.7. While attempting to install a K&N CAI (which turns out doesnt fit this year alone for some reason) I noticed oil built up around the crank case vent hose next to where the oil goes in. First I was thinking it could be from blowby, but then saw that the oil catch can goes on a different line all together. This is the line that connects to the air intake. Any ideas what the cause could be, and what the solution is? I appreciate the help.20211226_162638.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May need a new pcv valve. That’s the fresh air into the system and the catch can is on the suction side of the system. If the pcv valve gets clogged or restricted it’ll start building pressure and push out the fresh air side instead of being pulled through the suction side. Also make sure the catch can is operating properly and not allowing it to overfill and check the catch can hoses to make sure they’re not kinked or collapsed.

OP
OP
D

Daddyswang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the response. I havent added a catch can yet, and this is a different line than where the pcv valve connects and the catch can would go. This line goes directly from the cover next to the oil inlet on the driver side to the air intake box. Would a bad pcv valve cause issues over there on a separate line? I guess it wouldnt hurt to replace it regardless, bought the truck used, 130k miles, not sure if its ever been replaced. Just not sure if it would cause the oil buildup on a different line.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the response. I havent added a catch can yet, and this is a different line than where the pcv valve connects and the catch can would go. This line goes directly from the cover next to the oil inlet on the driver side to the air intake box. Would a bad pcv valve cause issues over there on a separate line? I guess it wouldnt hurt to replace it regardless, bought the truck used, 130k miles, not sure if its ever been replaced. Just not sure if it would cause the oil buildup on a different line.
Both lines are part of the pcv system. One is air in the other is air out. They work together. Honestly though without a better look it almost doesn’t even look like the issue is with the hose. It’s possible oil was spilled there or something leaked and sprayed in that direction.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you go. How the pcv system works.

Attachments

• EFD7F9A7-B748-453B-BF2F-9D83C099FCA6.jpeg
    EFD7F9A7-B748-453B-BF2F-9D83C099FCA6.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 23

Jocephus86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this may help resolve the issue I am having on my 3.6L Ram 1500.
I bought a hose and pcv valve from Mopar America, I heed to find the part number for the clean air makeup hose.
My library as an on-line Chilton's manual and showed something similar. Thanks crazykidd1994!