Oil change-engine temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Changing my oil after work today, is it ok to do on cold engine- don’t start after sitting all day or should I warm it up some first? I was going to drive home first & wait for it to cool down some, but doing it at work would be quicker. Thanks

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Removing the oil pan drain bolt is easier with the engine a little warm. I have tried with the engine cold, not a task I will ever perform on a cold motor. Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There’s two theories on why hot is preferable.

1- Suspended solids will be in suspension, not settled out and stuck to surfaces.

2- Hot oil flows faster and carries out more contamination vs leaving sludge behind.

Since I do my own and have the luxury of time, I drain the oil hot, then leave it draining and cooling until the filter is merely warm. Then I don’t have to burn myself fiddling around with the damn filter, which it seems engine designers are in a global competition to find the most awkward placement.

And, no your engine won’t self destruct if you change it cold.

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’ve always done all mine (no matter the type of vehicle) at operating temp; or at very least warm. The info I’ve read: any sort of contaminants will better suspend themselves in the warm oil to allow you to get more out. I’d assume though with an engine that has an oil filter that wouldn’t be AS important??....but it can’t hurt. So on a small engine without a filter I think that would be more important to get more “crap” out of your engine.

Never mind the factor warm oil flows better. Probably not that noticeable if it’s over 70 though I’d guess. Now if it’s 0 degrees and winter time...that would be a bit different!

So those two factors is why I always do it warm to up to operating temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to put mine in ramps in my driveway which is also at a incline so I'll start my engine, backup the truck and turn her around and backup again so the truck nose is now facing the street, then I'll put the ramps in the front and drive through them. That's on a cold start engine. It takes me about a min. Oil will be warm but not enough to burn my hands when I take the drain plug out.

If the engine was hot after driving somewhere I'll put her on ramps and wait about a hour or so. I don't like to burn my hands with hot oil :)

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figure on a stone-cold engine, more oil has had time to seep down into the drain pain. On a hot engine, even though the oil flows faster, there is still oil up in the heads, stuck to cams, cylinder walls, etc.

If you wait overnight for the oil to slide on down throughthe engine, there's more of the old oil down in the pan. On a hot engine you are leaving a film of used oil all up in the internals that doesn't get drained.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think any difference between the two states is too small to lose any sleep over.

I do it cold because there's no possibility of getting burned by hot oil or melting the plastic drain pan. So far nobody's died as a result.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would run the engine for a bit just to get any particles suspended, but temp doesn't matter much unless it's dead of winter cold. This matters less the more regularly you change the oil.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No big difference either way. The reasons stated above for doing it hot MAY be true but I doubt anybody can produce any tests or true analytical data that supports it one way or the other. I usually have the engine at least warm simply because the oil drains out a lot faster versus cold....especially if it's really cold out. Let you truck sit outside overnight when it's below freezing and see how long it takes to drain the oil out! Keep in mind that simply letting the truck run for 10 minutes outside will get the oil pretty warm.

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Removing the oil pan drain bolt is easier with the engine a little warm. I have tried with the engine cold, not a task I will ever perform on a cold motor. Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Last change I put in a fumoto valve, but I do agree easier warmed up for the drain plug

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I figure on a stone-cold engine, more oil has had time to seep down into the drain pain. On a hot engine, even though the oil flows faster, there is still oil up in the heads, stuck to cams, cylinder walls, etc.

If you wait overnight for the oil to slide on down throughthe engine, there's more of the old oil down in the pan. On a hot engine you are leaving a film of used oil all up in the internals that doesn't get drained.
I hadn’t thought about that, I’m thinking warm it up some & then give some extra time to drain. Thank you

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
You're in for it now, lol.

Personally, I see no reason to be concerned if it's done on a cold engine. Either stone cold, or warmed up well is my preference.
Yea it was early when I posted, at least I didn’t ask what kind of oil to use- this is my second change with redline 5w/30 been great so far- thank you & every one who posted. I appreciate the advice/input & going to warm it up some before changing

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There’s two theories on why hot is preferable.

1- Suspended solids will be in suspension, not settled out and stuck to surfaces.

2- Hot oil flows faster and carries out more contamination vs leaving sludge behind.

Since I do my own and have the luxury of time, I drain the oil hot, then leave it draining and cooling until the filter is merely warm. Then I don’t have to burn myself fiddling around with the damn filter, which it seems engine designers are in a global competition to find the most awkward placement.

And, no your engine won’t self destruct if you change it cold.

+1

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing like a good "hot oil treatment" for your hands.

I usually let mine cool for about 10 minutes before changing, gives time for oil to drain back out of the heads too. Don't believe changing it cold would really harm anything, it's not like 5w-20 is thick or has trouble flowing at normal temperatures.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Changing my oil after work today, is it ok to do on cold engine- don’t start after sitting all day or should I warm it up some first? I was going to drive home first & wait for it to cool down some, but doing it at work would be quicker. Thanks

Cold is fine as its all located in the pan. Modern oils aren't thick like they were in the past. You will get more out when its sitting in the pan then circulating it in throughout the engine.

I feel like the warm it up is one of those out dated practices like the tune up.

Older cars needed tune ups because of leaded fuels so plugs were changed on the regular. However, you still see advertisements from mechanics for various tune ups. Most of these just include a multi point inspection which I wouldn't say is worth it.

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually do mine after work when i get home. I'll let it sit for a half hour to an hour depending on outside temp and do it while its still "more than warm".

However I've done multiple cold oil changes on fleet trucks (anywhere from 15 to 60 quarts of oil) with zero issues. Just takes a little longer.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Warmed up... let it drain as long as possible. At least til it stops drippin'