Oil Change Freq.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlkSport15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 5.7 in my trade in, 2003 vette. Early on I followed the manufacturers oil change routine, took it to the dealer when the light went on. About 8-9 k. Bad idea. When I had performance heads and cam installed about 100 k, they showed we the gunk that built up. Change oil at 3-5 k now on all my vehicles, especially if you run them hard. Had 166 k when I traded it in, running strong.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I takes me 18 months to put 5000 on my truck, any real reason to change it at 12 months. I've always gone 5000 on past cars no matter how long it took, never did any harm before.
I use the full SYN Pennzoil that Ram recommends.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Spoke with the Pennzoil representative back in Jan 2014 when Pennzoil Platinum went into production.
Pennzoil indicated that maximum life is one year after the oil is poured into the engine because of the aging of the additives,
especially viscosity improvers found in multi grade motor oils.

Use straight 30 wt motor oil in all my vintage vehicle engines and change the oil on four year intervals,
since engines go for months and years without starting.
The straight 30wt has no viscosity modifiers to break down.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Raven: I think that Varies on who you ask!! Remember these Folks you talk with are like a Polished Politician....

Here is a Question asked by a BITOG member to a Pennzoil so called Engineer!

Q: a. My questions are… How long is the shelf life for Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 if it is stored in my garage, knowing that it will take me 3-4 years to use this oil?

A: Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic motor oils can have a shelf-life of up to four years if stored properly.

I have Always heard 2 to 4 years depending on how the oil is stored...

Here are the rest of the quesitons..

I personally would Love in inject these people with a Very Powerful Truth Serum!! Then ask them these questions!

Pennzoil Answers-Complete Protection and Oil Myths | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
SYN:
Was also informed by Pennzoil representative that shelf life was four years from the
date stamped on the bottom of the packaging container.
Bought multi grade PP @ WM today, dated Sept 15, 2015.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thx Hemihustlin. I read till you opted out Syn. :) By then my coffee was cold. A 5 is a 5 on start up. I'm just looking at the top number for the Florida heat, idling in traffic.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Lots of stop and go and sitting in Miami traffic. At 10k I will be switching to Amsoil 0w30. Lots here have run 5w30 with no issues. Not that 20 weight would fail you but the extra protection in the heat is a great peace of mind for me.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Lots of stop and go and sitting in Miami traffic. At 10k I will be switching to Amsoil 0w30. Lots here have run 5w30 with no issues. Not that 20 weight would fail you but the extra protection in the heat is a great peace of mind for me.
I doubt 5-20 would fail from heat in hell it sure wont fail in Florida.:roflsquared:
All this worry over oil...Oil is so good these days that I doubt there is any brand of name brand or even good generic that would not give every motor the protection it needs. take all the different high hp motorsports running every brand of oil under the sun in every high heat, terrible conditions or freezing cold and the least or even never heard reason for a failure was oil related. It just doesn't happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltillo Express

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know. But people are so passionate 'bout they earl. Sometimes you gotta just smack that hornet's nest and run. :) I'll probably go straight 60 weight.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Run SAE 5w20 @ 115 F ambient desert temperature here in SoCal.

The crankshaft, camshaft & rod journals all ride on a boundary layer of oil film, where the factory
machined clearances are less than .0005", compared to a crate 350 GM engine with .005" journal/bearing clearances.

Lost a 1985 , 351 winsor engine, where the rod punchured the engine block at 2500 engine rpm on a 6% upgrade using SAE 10w40 motor oil at 90F ambient with original 75 k miles on the vehicle. This engine was factory built with wide tolerance bearing clearances.

To meet federal mandated CAFE rules manufactures had to tighten up on clearances to use low grade motor oil(20 wt ), to reduce internal engine loads ,resulting in more efficient engine with increased mpg.

A closer tolerance bearing clearance requires a smaller boundary layer thickness. The boundary layer thickness for 20 wt is less than the boundary layer thickness of 30wt oil at equal temperature.

Find no issues using 5w20 wt oil at even 115F ambient temperature with 4th generation RAM engine either hemi v8 or penastar v6.

To maintain clean pistons & rings go for frequent OCI and use Chevron gas.
Have vehicle with 200k miles with original plugs that runs like new with 5 k OCI.The engine drank Chevron gas its entire life.
70k miles using 5w20 wt Pennzoil Platinum pure plus motor oil.

Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does a 2012 have mds ? Yes. It deactivates 4 cylinder when conditions dictate.

only if its a 5.7 hemi in a 1500, 2500 and up don't have it.
and its controlled by the oil flow in the heads that's why they require 5-20 oil, many guys are not happy with being told this so they try other oils to see if they can get by and the mds still work right,

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok! Ok! Lets back up here!

Rod: I have been reading my owners manual here for the past 5 min... We have too really watch how WE word Quotes and Phrases around here...

Have YOU read some where that Says---->Chrysler REQUIRES owners to use the 20Wt within the 5.7L hemi equipt with the MDS system? If So? Please find it and Copy and Paste it here...

My owners Manual States many times that WE RECOMMEND YOU TO USE....

If I remember correctly the government passed a law Many years ago... I think if I remember correctly If the Automakers created any engines that REQUIRED certain types of Fluids according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act-->The Auto makers would have to supply the customers with that REQUIRED Fluid to keep the automakers full warranty in tact... I think I read that right again... I might not be 100% correct!

And for some reason! After months of researching I have not been able to find any where that states in actual document form that Chrysler Created and Designed the MDS System around a 20Wt oil that OUR government basically forced all the automakers within the USA to use or be fined millions and millions of $$$$$.... {CAFE}...In simple terms... If someone has found ACTUAL document print of this-->Not retard intranet spewage of a so called mechanic... Please copy and paste it here... I really would love to read what I have not yet been able to find... If there is actual documented proof of chrysler creating and designing this MDS system around the 20Wt please someone post it here!!!! It is fixing to happen again with 0W-16....

I {Myself} have read many forums and reading posts & have talked to at least 15 5.7L owners who are NOW and Have Been running -->0W-30 / 5W-30 /10W-30 / & even M1 0W-40 with no issues... Every once and a while there will be a CEL code thrown but never a MDS malfunction... I am also trying to find an ACTUAL test the dealers could and would use to tell what Exact Brand and Viscosity of Oil you had in your crankcase at the time... I am still trying to find a Documented Denied Warranty Claim to Engine work due to the Wrong Brand and Viscosity of oil being used at the time of failure...I just can't find one...

I am not trying to prove anything! I don't care what YOU or YOU or YOU use! It's your Business not Mine! Just make sure what you post is actually {Close} to being a true statement...

I have said it Many Many times! There is Nothing wrong with 20Wt oils... I only believe I have better choices out there... I am one who is using his Earned Right to Personal Preference!

Last edited:

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 times a year. ..spring and fall. I only average 5-7000km a year on it. Might have to do it a third time this year seeing as my beater neon was down for a couple months and i was too lazy to fix it in the summer. But I've fixed it for winter abd the ram stays in the garage unless i feel like romping on it.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Pulled out the 2015 RAM users guide.
Page 245 states "we recommend you use certified SAE 5w-20 engine oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler material standard MS-6395 such as MOPAR,
Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine cap for correct SAE grade".

At least RAM is giving an option of using Pennzoil.
Suspect the FF on my 5.7L was Mopar spec oil.

Guide has above language for both 3.6L & 5.7L engines.

Edmund's.com has a good article titled, " do I have to use the manufacture's oil?", dated 7\26\2011.

The articles addresses DEXOS 1 , specified for new GM engines and warranty and to use the multi grade specified by the engine manufacturer.

Used Honda label oil installed by Honda dealer until my extended 100k warranty ran out ,then converted to PP,
But always used SAE 5w20 as specified by Honda.
Accura also has their own label.

Did some research two years ago when purchasing the penastar and found that only Pennzoil & Valvoline were the only two brands that actually possessed the Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

BITOG had Q&A with Mobil 1 factory representative, posted. Mobil 1 rep stated that Mobil 1 actually did not have the Chrysler certificate,
but was sure their oil would meet the requirements.

I use 5w20 PP solely for warranty purposes and have the dealer perform the OC for record purposes, which is actually records on Carfax data base.

Pouring through data posted on BITOG seems both PP & PUP are good for 10k OCI. PUP will maintain engine 17% cleaner than PP.
2015 RAM owners manual states, not to exceed 10 k OCI & not to leave oil in engine for more than one year.

Prefer to OC PP at 5k OCI rather than OC PUP at 10k OCI.

Last edited:

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW I found something interesting looking at different year Ram owners manuals. The 2013 states 5w/20 is recommended for cold starts, fuel economy, and is best for the MDS system. the 2014 manual states the recommended oil is 5w/20 for fuel economy and cold starts with a note that 5w/30 is acceptable when 5w/20 is not available. the 2015 manual states the recommended oil is 5w/20 for cold starts and fuel economy. the 2016 manual states 5w/20 oil is recommended for cold starts and fuel economy. Only in the 2013 manual is MDS and 5w/20 oil mentioned in the oil selection section. Only in the 2014 manual is the note about 5w/30 oil in the oil selection section. Just thought that was curious that the note of MDS was only in the 2013 manual and the note of 5w/30 was only in the 2014 manual when comparing the information in the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 manuals.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Well, after reading the many posts on motor oil today, guess I learned something. I never realized or thought much about, having an expiration date on motor oils. Not that I've bought oil and kept it on the shelf for much more than a year, but interesting. Maybe those of us doing our own oil changes need to look at the dates on the oils we buy. As also stated, a quality filter is a must as well. One thought, for those that will probably purchase a vehicle and keep it for 4 or 5 years at most, and/or about 100k, think that probably the frequency and /or mileage between changes probably could be extended out to at least 7K or 1 year (full syn.). But, extreme heat and miles of stop and go driving will require more frequency. As I plan on keeping mine for well over 10 years and maybe to 200k, I feel that the payback on engine longevity probably will pay me back for the shorter intervals, (5k). Also, I don't have the heat and or stop and go plus anytime it is started, will run a minimum of 30 miles and the first and last 9 miles are at hi way speeds. So much to consider and each has their own opinions. Guess, in the end, your personal experience and that each of us will bare the cost, makes us all a little different. Good Luck to us All.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Reading the fine print on bottle of PP , says OCI is manufactures recommendation, based on 1VA wear test.
What is sequence 1VA wear test?

100 hours of run time with engine speed variable between 800 rpm & 1200 rpm.
Camshaft lobe wear is then measured.
If wear is < 90 microns, the oil passes test criterion for GL4 or GL5.

Last edited:

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the oil change warning accurate? Changed my oil in the fall (synthetic) and after roughly 3600 miles its saying its due again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca