Oil Change interval for high idle time? Hemi Tick prevention ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks like my ram will stay in the family afterall. It is going to become a company work truck and will be un-lifted and put back to 33s.
I already have warped exhaust manifolds that need to be addressed. Most likely this truck will be used for one of my family business construction inspectors while they are on site out of town for extended duration.
This means that the truck will idle several hours daily with out driving very much. It is also likely that these inspectors will be unwilling to/ unable to find a shop to do oil changes with redline or PUP like I have been using.
With that in mind what sort of oil change interval should they be adhereing to in order to minimize the damage to the engine?
Would it be worth looking into doing the MDS delete with hellcat lifters to prevent the occurence of hemi tick or does it not work that way?

Thanks for the input.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lubegard biotech on every oil change, will give you some protection, that and 5w30 anything with a moly count. I'd get a good filter as well, if that isnt too much effort.

I wouldnt delete mds, the jury is still out on this providing better lubrication, evidence on both sides. Cut down idle time as much as possible.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably 5k is what I'd run, 5-30 and I'm not sure you'll get a choice in additives or filter if it's going to be a quick lube or fleet place changing the oil.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like my ram will stay in the family afterall. It is going to become a company work truck and will be un-lifted and put back to 33s.
I already have warped exhaust manifolds that need to be addressed. Most likely this truck will be used for one of my family business construction inspectors while they are on site out of town for extended duration.
This means that the truck will idle several hours daily with out driving very much. It is also likely that these inspectors will be unwilling to/ unable to find a shop to do oil changes with redline or PUP like I have been using.
With that in mind what sort of oil change interval should they be adhereing to in order to minimize the damage to the engine?
Would it be worth looking into doing the MDS delete with hellcat lifters to prevent the occurence of hemi tick or does it not work that way?

Thanks for the input.
PolyDyn's TX-7 will effectively address the extended idle issue. https://www.polydyntx7.com/

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest thing would be to try and reduce idle time as much as possible. I'd also recommend 3 to 5k mile intervals because of idle time and use synthetic oil with a quality filter

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably 5k is what I'd run, 5-30 and I'm not sure you'll get a choice in additives or filter if it's going to be a quick lube or fleet place changing the oil.
Unfortunately it would likely be a quick lube type place where that is done. It is hard enough to get some people to just take the truck to get an oil change, let alone find a place that will do what I would want them to do.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unfortunately it would likely be a quick lube type place where that is done. It is hard enough to get some people to just take the truck to get an oil change, let alone find a place that will do what I would want them to do.
this is very true. in this case I would ask for 3k mile oil changes at whatever quick lube place. 3k is just right to be draining mystery oil with all the idle hours

you can ask and demand 5w30 but theres no telling what they will put in. it will say 5w30 on the work order but the dude doing the work will be like wow what a mistake on this work order (if they even look at it) it says 5w30 stupid people its written 5w20 right on the cap! :insane:

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for the input.
1 hr of idle = 30 miles add that to miles driven for change.

Lubegard in oil

Miricle Mystery Oil in Gas

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unfortunately it would likely be a quick lube type place where that is done.
just about every instant oil change place offers a full synthetic oil change. Make the person who's driving the truck sign a vehicle maintenance agreement that it needs to be done every xxxxx miles with a 5W-30 full synthetic oil and the oil change facility receipt must be turned in noting the vehicle hours.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic oil in my last 3 RAM's along with the Mobil 1 extended performance filter and have never had the dreaded hemi tick ... (knock wood)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
just about every instant oil change place offers a full synthetic oil change. Make the person who's driving the truck sign a vehicle maintenance agreement that it needs to be done every xxxxx miles with a 5W-30 full synthetic oil and the oil change facility receipt must be turned in noting the vehicle hours.
You took the fn words right out my mouth!!!!

My techs sign a company vehicle maintenance acknowledgement clause at issue of the company vehicle, and it has to be updated in their online log at every service, too. Accompanied by a picture uploaded of the service report/invoice, too.

Getting a tech to adhere to company policy isn't that difficult if the expected deliverables are addressed right from the start, and then followed through by those doing the monthly reconciliation. Everyone just needs to be trained and then made to sign the acknowledgement.

My recommendation is this: have the truck stocked with RP 20-820 oil filters (say, five), and five bottles of Biotech Lubegard, and ensure the driver knows to have the quick lube use the filter and watches the additive put in (the service shop should indicate oil filter provided by customer, and customer additive put in), and go 5000 mile oil change intervals, and use 5W30 synthetic oil.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L

Thanks for the input.
25% of the hours on my 17 RAM 5.7 are idle hours. I was very concerned about the tick and manifold warpage from the start. I now have almost 134,00 miles on it and no issues. I have gone to a great dealer who has a very good service department. Most generally I change oil at 6,000 miles, but not always exact ally sometimes it may be a little less or a little more miles. Always change the filter and I go by the owners manual (the big thick one) for how I keep it maintained. I live in rural area with dirt roads, and we generally never drive less than 28 miles. Because I am a disabled Vet with several serious issues, I have many doctors appointments each month and most are about 100 miles away. There are lots miles on this truck that are related to medical trips. I have never fooled with the MDS. When the MDS is on a green light comes on the dash, but I can never tell it's so smooth. I did buy direct from MOPAR the MAX Care Warranty with unlimited mileage and was good for 84 months from purchase. I have 15 more months left on that. Some of the tick and manifold problems are IMO, a matter of a lot of stop and go perhaps, or a luck of the draw. So far this engine is been very good.