Oil change indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My oil minder is my odometer and how/ where I drive.I document everything in a maintenance book.I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles by changing my lubrication at less than manufacturer states to do so.I've never had an engine/trans/ diff failure in any.Some of my classic antique vehicles have had failures due to bad prior maintenance.Especially woman owned and mechanic owned vehicles.
Agree, I have never blown one engine up in my life so I'm not going to change what I've been doing all these years, can't say that about a rear end or automatic transmission! And I am a Mechanic! LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My oil minder is my odometer and how/ where I drive.I document everything in a maintenance book.I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles by changing my lubrication at less than manufacturer states to do so.I've never had an engine/trans/ diff failure in any.Some of my classic antique vehicles have had failures due to bad prior maintenance.Especially woman owned and mechanic owned vehicles.

YUP too ref odometer. I just made it where every 5K on Odometer, and spaced it so it is at 10K, 15K, etc. I may change more than needed, but way too hot here and these dang engines run too hot also, I hate seeing Oil temps at 200 +++ and sometimes over 220 ish. Also, I want these expensive tires rotated. But that is me and I's a BOIRD.

turk car.JPG

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Oil Life Indicator may sometimes be right, but i can tell you that my indicator was so far off last week, that the dealership was asking me why i was wanting the oil changed.
I told them that i was going by the oil life indicator & it read 1%
They said that there was no way that it should read that at 3,600 miles since the last service.

They did the oil change because i still had 3 free oil changes to go according to my service contract & they expire next February

Octane

Reaction score
The Oil Life Indicator may sometimes be right, but i can tell you that my indicator was so far off last week, that the dealership was asking me why i was wanting the oil changed.
They said that there was no way that it should read that at 3,600 miles since the last service.

They did the oil change because i still had 3 free oil changes to go according to my service contract & they expire next February
If you told him if the oil minder is wrong then they need to fix it. That would make their jaw drop to the floor because they know they couldn't. If they could the dealership wouldn't have the parts available.lol

Octane

Reaction score
Agree, I have never blown one engine up in my life so I'm not going to change what I've been doing all these years, can't say that about a rear end or automatic transmission! And I am a Mechanic! LOL
One of the reason I say that about mechanic on vehicles is it's kind of like a house painter, painters usually won't paint their own house cuz there's no money in it. There's only money and painting everybody else's house. So a lot of mechanics will drive their cars till they about to fall apart or till they do. And then sell them to some poor sucker. I've known too many mechanics that would drive their own personal vehicles till they would just break down in the middle of the street before they would do anything to them

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
One of the reason I say that about mechanic on vehicles is it's kind of like a house painter, painters usually won't paint your own house cuz there's no money in it. There's only money and painting everybody else's house. So a lot of mechanics will drive their cars till they about to fall apart or till they do. And then sell them to some poor sucker. I've known too many mechanics that would drive their own personal vehicles till they would just break down in the middle of the street before they would do anything to them
Hey I understand, no problem I just happen to be an **** one even with my own stuff. LOL. I was taught to do your work as if you'd sign your name on it and write it neat enough that you can read it!

Octane

Reaction score
Hey I understand, no problem I just happen to be an **** one even with my own stuff. LOL. I was taught to do your work as if you'd sign your name on it and write it neat enough that you can read it!
I'm the same way.Granted,there are many fine mechanics and painters out there that take really good care of their stuff.I've just met many that don't.And many of them do not take care of anything else they own either. Lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i painted anything 5 or 6 days a week, i sure would not want to do any painting on my time off
It is the same with being a mechanic

You don't do on weekends, what ever your job is during the week, unless there is some kind of gratification involved

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I don't ride in dusty conditions or idle excessively (I don't do either) I change oil and filters at 5000 miles. For me oil is cheaper than metal. Also never heard of anything but the threads on the drain plug wearing out because of changing oil to much.
Fumoto drain valve takes care of the thread issue, I have been using them for more then 17 years problem free.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

How much do you drive? The oil indicator isn't simply a "dumb" mileage tracker; IIRC it uses a variety of inputs such as time, RPMS, load etc. If your truck sits for a whole year and you don't get past 3600 miles, you should still be changing your oil after the year is up.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I promise I'm not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone but for me I will not become helpless without technology. I was doing servicing, oil changes ect... without a computer telling me when or how. Sometimes experience and common sense works without technology. I have gotten by without issue my whole life servicing my vehicle long before computers started telling us how or when and that's how I will continue to do it until I do it wrong. My record for me never blowing an engine up is the only proof I need. If I was putting used oil on dusty roads like they use to I'd say I'm wasting it but it gets recycled now.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much do you drive? The oil indicator isn't simply a "dumb" mileage tracker; IIRC it uses a variety of inputs such as time, RPMS, load etc. If your truck sits for a whole year and you don't get past 3600 miles, you should still be changing your oil after the year is up.

This is just me: But I do not need a computer generated indicator to say: Change yer Oil. I just need to know miles, time, the most type of driving I have done, and pull out the ole dip stick and look, smell and feel, but that be old way GM checking, LOL...

DA BOIRD

ADDED: I also understand there R PPL who do not either care, know how to, or even take the time to check etc and need dat ole: Ding Ding: Change yer Oil reminder... :eek::33::anitoof:

Changing the fluids: Like the Most Important thing U can do on yer ride religiously plus filters and run good gas/diesel.

Octane

Reaction score
If I ever have an engine blow can I just lie and tell dealer that the computer must have glitched out and not reminded me to change the oil.Tell them I thought it must be lifetime motor oil.Kinda like that 8 spd tranny lifetime fluid.Lol

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If I ever have an engine blow can I just lie and tell dealer that the computer must have glitched out and not reminded me to change the oil.Tell them I thought it must be lifetime motor oil.Kinda like that 8 spd tranny lifetime fluid.Lol
The way people depend on technology I don't see why not! Playing dumb (I'm sorry, Knowledge challenged) works a lot anymore! LOL

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is just me: But I do not need a computer generated indicator to say: Change yer Oil. I just need to know miles, time, the most type of driving I have done, and pull out the ole dip stick and look, smell and feel, but that be old way GM checking, LOL...

DA BOIRD

ADDED: I also understand there R PPL who do not either care, know how to, or even take the time to check etc and need dat ole: Ding Ding: Change yer Oil reminder... :eek::33::anitoof:

Changing the fluids: Like the Most Important thing U can do on yer ride religiously plus filters and run good gas/diesel.

I do love my truck, and I have done a small amount of wrenching (nothing serious); so while I'm capable of doing what you suggest, I simply could not care less to keep track of all that. The Ram tells me when it needs it, perfect, one less thing for my scattered brain to keep track of.

But last number of years I've been doing it based on a summer/winter schedule anyway. Summer gets different oil for towing (5w-30) and winter will get 5w-20 or 0w-30. That lines up pretty much with the mileage too, most often my oil indicator is at 25% left.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Ram ecodiesel gets driven maybe 5 days a week
I take the multi lane highway, when it is possible
Time in days or weeks between oil changes has never exceeded 6 months

The oil life indicator was just wrong on this occasion

When i am working full time, there are times that i have driven enough to get 2 oil changes every 3 months

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

DA BOIRD

I like old buzzards.

Besides - after spending a career in the industry, and having fixed some of their screwups, I'm not blindly loyal to any utterance they make, if I have better information. Which we do, per this site, among others.

pressgrove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I always thought this as well. Yesterday, my oil-minder dinged me when it hit 0% (I had been watching it, since I knew it was close). I compared the odometer to the sticker on my windshield and it was EXACTLY 10k miles since the previous change.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll run 5000 on conventional oil and 8000 on synthetic. Use a good filter, I'm using Mopar since it's under warranty and Walmart now stocks them. The change is usually not because the oil wore out, it's because you need to remove the contaminates. Been changing oil in car for 44 year and never had an oil / mechanical failure. Had one with a Chrysler mini-van. Wife moved out and filed for divorce. 14 months later she call and says the van is making bad noise. I went to look at it because I'm a nice guy. Yep it clangs like a thrown rod and I see the filter has magic marker writing on it. I wrote date and mileage on it when I changed it 22,000 miles ago. Sorry bout that...........

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

Traveling and I notice I have 30 per cent oil serviceability before change required. Owners manual says when "change oil" msg comes on to change within 500 miles. Message has not come on but wondering if I understand the manual correctly, when msg comes on do I still have 500 miles before required? 2018, 2500, 6.4, 4.10 4x4

Thanks,
David in Texas
I ignore the light/message and change the oil every 3,000 miles or so... I'm old school and like to play safe with my expensive toy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990