Oil change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did an initial change ar 1,500 miles. Being old school, i wanted to get the initial break in junk out of the engine, though they say the engines are broke in at time of purchase. Certai ly, i cant hurt anything.

i use kendall gt1 full synthetic and plan on changing every 4000-4500 miles, unless i have been working it real hard.....overkill? Maybe but i feel better.

i used a motorcraft filter that i had left over from my old f150....fl820s.

i had bought a mopar 899 but the darn thing was all dented when i took it out of the box....box was fine. I guess someone took it out of the box, dropped it, and put it back...go figure
Probably some ford guy took the filter out of the Mopar box threw it down jumped up.and down on it and put it back in the nice Mopar box

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm Pennzoil Platinum @ 7000 every time and never even looked at my OLM.

Wrigley17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 with hemi, and my interval seems to be set at exactly 10,000 miles no matter what type of driving I do. Any ideas?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I change my redline after about 9k miles of use. I do have to add about a quart of oil every 3 months or so... no idea where it goes, but it just does, and i accepted the thought of adding oil. No leaks can be found. catch can does collect lots of oil, but not as much as i have to add... In my last Oil Report from blackstone labs, they they said 9k is all good and told me to try to do 11k oil change next time , but i don't think i will be pushing that long...

oh yea, and my 2013 "oil change monitor warning" just goes off by the number of miles. i just reset it when it comes up as it's annoying...
What weight of Redline do you use Sir ?

I use 5W -30 RL & a Royal purple 10-48 filter and I got very similar results from Blackstone labs.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was told by my dealer j had to have mine changed every 3k and my oil life reader was still at 85% or better every time I just figured the oil reader was wrong
Most dealers are idiots , or just trying to make more $ $ for themselves .
The crap Bulk oil from their giant tanks probably should be changed @ 3k , or better yet never be used in your new trucks engine anyways

My trucks engine was very LOUD and oil pressure @ 190° temp / idle was 24 -28 psig with the " free" bulk oil changes , and once I verified they didn't even install a new filter ! I had marked the filter previously.
The next " free " oil change the left my plug loose ! Had a giant puddle of oil under my truck the next morning , I tighten it and check the level , assuming I'd need to add oil , ha ha ha silly me , I ended up draining over a qt just to get it down to the max fill mark .

Moral of the story , change the oil & filter yourself and use a quality oil & filter , because the oil the dealer is using ( in my case ) is JUNK BULK oil that has been recycled.