Oil change time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sorry for my ignorance. What's the fumoto valve for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few of us who do our own oil changes enjoy having very easy fast mess free oil changes. No tools except for an occasional filter wrench. Never is there a need to remove the drain plug again.

bhonshell42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2ec982ab4337c1e956b89ea0d1bbd988.jpg

Cleaned this sucker out too.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Is this a filter element container, if so what kind of element is used? How easily does this adapt to a 2004 hemi

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a filter element container, if so what kind of element is used? How easily does this adapt to a 2004 hemi

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Haha it's a billet tech catch can.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
A few of us who do our own oil changes enjoy having very easy fast mess free oil changes. No tools except for an occasional filter wrench. Never is there a need to remove the drain plug again.

I have two issues with the Fumoto drain valve: I am scared that it will somehow get opened accidentally; and because it essentially "bushes" down the drain opening, it slows the draining flow, and it leaves more old oil in the pan that can't drain.Thus contaminating the new oil, and leaving a pool of sediment to accumulate in the bottom of the pan.
Convenient, yes. But my OCD can't get past the downside.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have two issues with the Fumoto drain valve: I am scared that it will somehow get opened accidentally; and because it essentially "bushes" down the drain opening, it slows the draining flow, and it leaves more old oil in the pan that can't drain.Thus contaminating the new oil, and leaving a pool of sediment to accumulate in the bottom of the pan.
Convenient, yes. But my OCD can't get past the downside.
I doubt it will accidently open. It's locked in a groove and it's also spring loaded to stay in that groove. Also, when the hole in my oil pan was slowly dripping out I put the valve in and it started to pour out again. I don't think you'll have any problems. Only concern I have is something hitting it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
FUMOTO drain valve accidentally opening are rare as unicorns unless you do some serious off-roading. There is two axial motions of actuation in play for the lever to inadvertently open. Regardless, they sell slip on tab locks to prevent this. A daily pavement pounder vehicle will never have this issue.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I doubt it will accidently open. It's locked in a groove and it's also spring loaded to stay in that groove. Also, when the hole in my oil pan was slowly dripping out I put the valve in and it started to pour out again. I don't think you'll have any problems. Only concern I have is something hitting it.

I agree that it's unlikely, especially on a stock height truck, but there is that possibility. And I am firm believer in Murphys Law: what ever can happen, will happen, and at the worst possible time. The anecdotal comment about screwing the fitting in and more oil draining sounds illogical, and is not possible, unless you stood the vehicle on its bumper.

OP
OP
PassivAggressor

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that it's unlikely, especially on a stock height truck, but there is that possibility. And I am firm believer in Murphys Law: what ever can happen, will happen, and at the worst possible time. The anecdotal comment about screwing the fitting in and more oil draining sounds illogical, and is not possible, unless you stood the vehicle on its bumper.

While I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law (believe me I have recently learned this hard lesson) I am just saying what I saw. Whether the volume of the oil changed from the drip to the steady flow I have no idea. Just reporting what was seen.