Oil consumption 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
A whiny one who starts threads asking questions that make him sound like someone who does NOT work on vehicles for a living, as he claims to. Either that, or so ignorant to the nature of mass produced items that sometimes one gets by QC. You sold your Ram and it sounds like you are dead set on the Ford, so why are you still here?

Whiney? Go spend 40k on anything and tell me it's of no concern when it's TWO quarts low on oil. Not a half a quart.

Anyway, I made the right choice.

Stopped in at a buddies shop who works on late model stuff. Told him why I sold the ram. He said, well, you're not wrong. I've had a lot of hemi's in here over the years with cam/lifter failures. He used to like ram until FCA took over.

He's a chevy guy.

To each his own. It is funny though how butt hurt all you die hard ram guys have gotten.

To those of you who have been polite I appreciate ya, and to those of you who have been ******, you can go F*** yourselves and enjoy "upgrading" every 3 years.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Whiney? Go spend 40k on anything and tell me it's of no concern when it's TWO quarts low on oil. Not a half a quart.

Anyway, I made the right choice.

Stopped in at a buddies shop who works on late model stuff. Told him why I sold the ram. He said, well, you're not wrong. I've had a lot of hemi's in here over the years with cam/lifter failures. He used to like ram until FCA took over.

He's a chevy guy.

To each his own. It is funny though how butt hurt all you die hard ram guys have gotten.

To those of you who have been polite I appreciate ya, and to those of you who have been ******, you can go F*** yourselves and enjoy "upgrading" every 3 years.

calm down before you have an aneurysm

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I had been a GM guy all my life but bought a few Fords in the mid 90's. Nothing but junk and when I called Ford in Michigan the attitude they gave me was horrible. I swore I would never buy another Ford and haven't. Three of those 5 trucks were the top 3 worst vehicles I have ever had. Guy that owns my mothers marina owns a plumbing business. Just bought a brand new 2500 Cummins after having 3 F250/350 Powerstrokes. All 3 Powerstrokes blew up never making it past 140,000 miles. He said he is done with Ford now.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I was a Chevy guy most of my life. Built or rebuilt 5 of my own engines before I was your age.
You see, I know you're 34 because you felt it necessary to tell us in your profile.
I won't hold you being a Millenial against you, but I just don't like anybody that acts a fool as much as you do.
Richard Pryor (google him) once said...
"You need to listen to old people. You don't get to be old being no fool! Lotta young, wise men deader'n a M%$@>@F%&<&=r!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had been a GM guy all my life but bought a few Fords in the mid 90's. Nothing but junk and when I called Ford in Michigan the attitude they gave me was horrible. I swore I would never buy another Ford and haven't. Three of those 5 trucks were the top 3 worst vehicles I have ever had. Guy that owns my mothers marina owns a plumbing business. Just bought a brand new 2500 Cummins after having 3 F250/350 Powerstrokes. All 3 Powerstrokes blew up never making it past 140,000 miles. He said he is done with Ford now.

First of all, the 7.3,6.0,6.4L Powerstroke engines were Navastar/International engines.... NOT a Ford design! Ford was in contract to International for many years... and, when the contract ended, Ford gave them the heave-ho! Ford then designed their own 6.7L diesel and stopped the madness.... and the prolific problems.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all, the 7.3,6.0,6.4L Powerstroke engines were Navastar/International engines.... NOT a Ford design! Ford was in contract to International for many years... and, when the contract ended, Ford gave them the heave-ho! Ford then designed their own 6.7L diesel and stopped the madness.... and the prolific problems.
Not sure what years his were but I think the last one was a 2014. Either way, what difference does it make who designed the engine? If it's not gonna last why would you buy it period?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what years his were but I think the last one was a 2014. Either way, what difference does it make who designed the engine? If it's not gonna last why would you buy it period?

Chrysler has had it's fractured past, too.... not just Ford (not defending anyone, just being pragmatic). All of the manufacturers have had bad times... Look at Audi 5000's with the runaway issues that killed a couple of little children when the parents accidentally ran over their own kids! This is why ALL vehicles today require that you step on the brake pedal to release the shifter so you can get the car out of park.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Who cares who makes the engine?

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
This is all I can think of to contribute after reading through this thread...

2CA47209-04F9-4FB4-8420-1D76C065258D.jpeg

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a 2014 6.4 and just crossed 100,000mi. I change oil myself and have noticed that the engine always eats some oil. I will check it periodically and have to top it off. Just the way it goes.

It was explained to me once, that it has something to do with the design of the vac return lines and the hemi engine. Thats why guys run catch cans, because so much oil is being sent back through the intake manifold.
Catch cans on the 5.7 only. The 6.4's don't need one.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
[QUOTE="dhay13, post: 2305523, member:

*****They put the wrong oil in my truck the one oil change (used 0-W20 instead of 0-W40) and it would smoke at start up. After about 1000 miles I noticed it and made them change it again. Truck had about 8000 miles on it then but I have the 6.4[/QUOTE]

0w20 in a 6.4 for 1000 miles? I woulda punched somebody in the throat.
At least you got the break-in done in record time. Sure hope that's documented.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[QUOTE="dhay13, post: 2305523, member:
0w20 in a 6.4 for 1000 miles? I woulda punched somebody in the throat.
At least you got the break-in done in record time. Sure hope that's documented.

It had 8000 miles on it when I got it and the dealer changed the oil before I picked it up. The truck wasn't from this area so that dealer hadn't done any work on it prior to that so lets hope the other places used the right oil...lol

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was a Chevy guy most of my life. Built or rebuilt 5 of my own engines before I was your age.
You see, I know you're 34 because you felt it necessary to tell us in your profile.
I won't hold you being a Millenial against you, but I just don't like anybody that acts a fool as much as you do.
Richard Pryor (google him) once said...
"You need to listen to old people. You don't get to be old being no fool! Lotta young, wise men deader'n a M%$@>@F%&<&=r!

What I can tell by you and your profile? You're insecure, bragging you rebuilt 5 engines by your mid 30's. (That made me lol, which means laugh out loud by the way old timer). And you ride Harley's. Which is also hilarious. You should be out riding for your brothers when one ran out of depends money or threw out his back putting on his slippers.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sometimes we just gotta let it go and move on. You got a lemon. I'm sorry for that. These are good trucks. If you stop, the bashing will stop. I hope you find another truck, any brand, and enjoy it. Take care.

Red

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
7k miles, 3k since last oil change. Still reading above full, same as the day I changed it. This is after an 800 mile road trip, of which 120 were off pavement. I’ll probably change it again at 8k because of how dusty this trip was.

Truckin19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Almost 10K on my 6.4L and no issues with oil consumption to date. Motor seems to be strong and reliable thus far.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
8500 miles on truck, 4500 miles on this oil. I drained out almost exactly 7 quarts. My 7 quart pan was almost completely full.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, my first oil filter popped the spot welds on my oil filter wrench and by the time I had the filter off it was crushed like a beer can! They must have a gorilla throwing those things on at the factory.
just changed oil on my 2020 6.4 (first change and had 1111 miles) and just twisted off with my hand no tools needed. spun the new one on 1 full turn after the gasket hit and hopefully it will spin off the same way.