2022 6.7 Diesel Oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitpig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My 22 Ram 2500 has 37000 miles on it.
Oil has been changed as close to every 5000 miles. Every 15000 by dealer and by me in between. Went 7000 since dealer changed it. Drained 9 quarts.
So 3 qts in 7000 miles consumed. Heck if I went with the owners manual recommendation of 15,000 miles it would only have 6 quarts left.
Tough on engine life in my opinion.

Is this rate of consumption you are seeing in your trucks?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I see zero oil consumption on mine with 111k miles. Not a 5th gen, but same engine.

Questions:

Are you also accounting for the oil in the filter as well? There's about 1 qt in the filter itself and that won't be in the drain pan.

Did you confirm at the previous oil change how much oil was added to the engine? Were there any oil leaks under the truck, any smoke, burning oil smell, etc? Maybe it was underfilled.

This engine should hold around 12 quarts, so if you got out 9 qts from the pan and another qt from the filter that would mean that you're around 2 qts low.

Where did the oil sit on the dipstick prior to the oil change?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Wowzers, your the first 2022 6.7L CTD owner that I have read about in the many forums I read that has an engine that is using oil instead of growing oil. What brand of oil, what oil filter and what weight oil are you using, 10w30 synthetic or 5w40 synthetic? Did you install 3 full gallons of diesel rated oil? Also is their a reason your changing oil every 5K?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also my question. The prev owner of my truck also changed the oil every 5k miles. Good for me.. but burned a hole in his wallet for no reason I'm sure. I change every 15k miles.

I too have seen them with more fluid due to a small amount of fuel getting into the oil, but never lose oil like that. If it is, there are only 3 logical solutions. It's not filled properly to begin with, there's a massive oil leak somewhere, or it's burning oil. Again though at the rate of loss that the OP is claiming one would think that it would be really obvious either by smoke or a giant puddle in the driveway.

My guess is that the dealership didn't fill it all the way. If there's no smoke or oil puddles I can't think of a way that it would lose 2-3 quarts of oil in 7k miles.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The '19+ CGI Cummins has low tension rings to save .00001 MPG. There have been some that used oil. I hitched mine to the toy hauler and did a couple hundred mile test pull in the dead of AZ Summer when it was new to break it in. The Cummins is built to work. Putt-putting around is not their strong suit. With 10K OCIs, it would use maybe a quart, never enough to add.

Last edited:

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2013 with 144K and it's never used any oil. I also change my oil every 5K miles. I know what Cummins says, but I don't care. Fleetguard filters and Rotella T4 Dino oil.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
15K oil changes and not a mile sooner. Oil analysis has proven over and over the oil is more then good to go at that interval. The people that designed the engine know what they are doing and why they put that interval in the manual. This isn't 1968 any more.....

Are you actually "checking" the oil on the dip stick to see that it is low or just going by what you got out of it?

If you are truly using that much oil (I'm skeptical) you have a huge problem and need to get it looked at under warranty asap. My 2016 has had nothing but 15K+ oil changes and never used any significant oil after 155k+ miles.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
15K oil changes and not a mile sooner. Oil analysis has proven over and over the oil is more then good to go at that interval. The people that designed the engine know what they are doing and why they put that interval in the manual. This isn't 1968 any more.....

Are you actually "checking" the oil on the dip stick to see that it is low or just going by what you got out of it?

If you are truly using that much oil (I'm skeptical) you have a huge problem and need to get it looked at under warranty asap. My 2016 has had nothing but 15K+ oil changes and never used any significant oil after 155k+ miles.

Cummins flat-out states the 6.7 is good for 15k oil changes. That's a bit far for me, I do it a bit sooner and change the fuel filters at the same time. Is it overkill? Probably. Am I worried about that? Not really.

That said, I agree that OP has an issue - it shouldn't be burning that much oil, BUT on most engines the OEMs say that a quart per thousand miles is 'normal and acceptable.' Which is complete bull crap on any motor, since they're all geared to go at LEAST 5k on an oil change anymore - it's just a way to scale back warranty claims. I don't know what Cummins states as 'normal and acceptable' but I wouldn't go 15k burning a quart every 1k...because I'd be out of oil for the last 3k.

I think OP needs to have things looked at. Something isn't right to be burning that much oil. I don't think I've had a vehicle that burned more than 1 quart in 5k miles, with the exception of my first car (a Dodge Omni) that would run on about half a quart of oil with just noisy rockers - it lost probably 2 quarts in 1500 miles when I finally quit driving it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
One other thought if he was burning 2-3 qts of oil every 5K I would think he would also have major problems from all that oil going through the DPF filter and in turn one would think it would throw a few codes...

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I agree with 06 dodge that if you were burning that much oil it would be throwing codes. I dont think mine uses any oil between changes.

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
My 2022 2500 has about 22000 miles on it. No evidence of any oil "consumption."

OP
OP
Pitpig

Pitpig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for all the replies.
Let me start out by saying “no” I didn’t check all the things you’re asking about.
That being said, I’m an old diesel mechanic and have seen first hand what oil changes have on the life of engines. I’ve been changing oil in all my vehicles at 5000 miles. They all went 200K+ with no engine issues. My 06 ford 6.0 still has the original turbo. Diesel’s especially contaminate the oil with carbon (ie: black oil). Any way, it’s my money my prerogative.
I know every engine consumes some oil. Some more than others. Our Subaru uses a quart in 6000 miles. The manual states this is normal. Been doing it since new.
I’ll keep a closer watch on the Ram to see if it truly is using 2 qts in 5K miles.
I was just asking if other 5th gen owners noticed it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for all the replies.
Let me start out by saying “no” I didn’t check all the things you’re asking about.
That being said, I’m an old diesel mechanic and have seen first hand what oil changes have on the life of engines. I’ve been changing oil in all my vehicles at 5000 miles. They all went 200K+ with no engine issues. My 06 ford 6.0 still has the original turbo. Diesel’s especially contaminate the oil with carbon (ie: black oil). Any way, it’s my money my prerogative.
I know every engine consumes some oil. Some more than others. Our Subaru uses a quart in 6000 miles. The manual states this is normal. Been doing it since new.
I’ll keep a closer watch on the Ram to see if it truly is using 2 qts in 5K miles.
I was just asking if other 5th gen owners noticed it.

FYI, 2019 up are not 5th gen, 4.5 gen at best, based on the UOA's I have seen for 2022 6.7l engines the Soot level in the oil has been <.1%, and as I stated above yours is the first one I have read about that has used oil an not grown oil, based on others I have talked to they also thought using 2-3 qts of oil in 5K should pop a code or two as burning that much oil is not good for the emissions system sensors... It was also asked what oil was being because the 2019+ engines require either synthetic 10w30 or synthetic 5w40 oil and not 15w40 like the 2018 and older 6.7l engines used, I have talked to a few 2019+ owners who have been using 15w40 all because they thought the engines still used the same oil like the their old one...

Last edited:

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Also my question. The prev owner of my truck also changed the oil every 5k miles. Good for me.. but burned a hole in his wallet for no reason I'm sure. I change every 15k miles.

I too have seen them with more fluid due to a small amount of fuel getting into the oil, but never lose oil like that. If it is, there are only 3 logical solutions. It's not filled properly to begin with, there's a massive oil leak somewhere, or it's burning oil. Again though at the rate of loss that the OP is claiming one would think that it would be really obvious either by smoke or a giant puddle in the driveway.

My guess is that the dealership didn't fill it all the way. If there's no smoke or oil puddles I can't think of a way that it would lose 2-3 quarts of oil in 7k miles.
Have you done a Blackstone oil analysis with the TBN analysis as well? The TBN determines whether your change interval is retaining the oil's qualities. It's cheap and very informative.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The '19+ CGI Cummins has low tension rings to save .00001 MPG. There have been some that used oil. I hitched mine to the toy hauler and did a couple hundred mile test pull in the dead of AZ Summer when it was new to break it in. The Cummins is built to work. Putt-putting around is not their strong suit. With 10K OCIs, it would use maybe a quart, never enough to add.

Sidebar: low tension ring addition contributed to GM 5.3L V8 AFM oil pumper issues. For the same reason - to "save" .00001 MPG.

Ramuser4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Could be turbo seal leaking. I had that on a four cylinder (3.9) Cummins turbo diesel once . Just a thought.

Ram Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins

The oil might not break down before 15,000 miles, but it can still get dirty & don't want to pump it through the engine that long, I do the oil & fuel filters between 9,000 & 10,000 ( that's less that 2 months)

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The oil might not break down before 15,000 miles, but it can still get dirty & don't want to pump it through the engine that long, I do the oil & fuel filters between 9,000 & 10,000 ( that's less that 2 months)
Diesel oil is dirty the second it's pumped through the engine. You can fill the engine, run it for 30 seconds and what will come out of the drain plug will be black. What's important is that the additives aren't breaking down.. not the color.

Nothing wrong with changing it a little early if you choose to do so (your money) but there are no ill effects with changing it at the recommended service intervals either.

If one is overly concerned I would suggest sending a sample to Blackstone and having an oil analysis done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500