Oil in air filter box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some help here. Just went to change the filter on my cold air intake and there was a good amount of oil in the box. A couple ounces atleast. Truck has 48k on it, 2017 1500 with the 5.7.

Is this why people are putting catch cans in? Anything else I should look for?

Thanks for any input.
Paul

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, catch can.
Jesus, now I see why people put them in. Thank you. I have the S&b intake, looks like it was all trapped in a little "trap" molded into it.

Just did my first oil change on the truck and got nervous lol. Had a package with the dealer so let them do it for a while. Noticed oil on the engine cover and battery cover so I knew someone spilt, any chance they put too much and it got sent there by the pcv valve?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Big Paul, yes. It shoots out through the PCV valve and to the air filter housing to try and return some of the air that didn’t get used by the engine the first time. The unfortunate part is that it takes some oil with it.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Big Paul, yes. It shoots out through the PCV valve and to the air filter housing to try and return some of the air that didn’t get used by the engine the first time. The unfortunate part is that it takes some oil with it.

Great, thought so. Thanks guys, the amount if oil freaked me out.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You also might want to keep an eye out on the carbon build up on your throttle body around the throttle plates as it builds up and can cause issues. It’s worse in MOPAR vehicles than in a lot of others that I worked on. Just clean it with throttle body cleaner and a rag.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You also might want to keep an eye out on the carbon build up on your throttle body around the throttle plates as it builds up and can cause issues. It’s worse in MOPAR vehicles than in a lot of others that I worked on. Just clean it with throttle body cleaner and a rag.

Thanks, I just cleaned that and checked the pvc valve. Will be ordering a catch can asap. Thanks again.