Oil leaking from oil filter adapter - tick - need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

admartin2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V6. I noticed some spotting in my driveway that had increased over several days. I mistakenly thought it was transmission fluid. I also noticed a ticking noise coming from the truck over the last couple of weeks before I noticed any oil in the driveway. I did quite a bit of searching online and found the ticking to be a common exhaust issue with dodge. Listening to the tick it didn't seem it was coming from the engine it was more under the truck.

I took it to the dealership today and they told me it's leaking from the oil filter adapter. They also said the engine is basically out of oil, which is odd to me because I never got any low pressure warning.

They quoted me $770 for the oil filter adapter replacement. They also told me the ticking was because the engine was low on oil. They then continued to set me up that the engine may be damaged and may require further work.

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue before.

Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You aren't the first person to run an engine out of oil. It is what it is, dealers will charge you 500 dollars to say hello, so yeah when you take your ram to a dealer it will cost you. Hopefully that fixes it, I wouldn't listen to the rest of the garbage they said to be honest. You have some valuable info for next time. Be more investigative when something is a miss, and avoid the dealer for non warranty work. I doubt you were out of oil, that spot would be half of the driveway, just low.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The oil filter adapter is on top of the engine in the valley under the intake plenum. The oil pools up in that valley and will eventually overflow to the ground. It will not just pour out and dump directly to the ground. It will however leave oil spots everywhere you park. The price the dealer quoted you is a fair price for the complete job. The factory part alone will run about $500ish retail. Aftermarket parts can be purchased for half the price but they will be aftermarket and who knows the quality of it. If you want to find out if the engine is damaged or not simply top off the engine oil and see if the noises go away. As far as the oil light not coming on, as of right now theres enough oil in it to produce the required pressure so the light will stay off but the volume of oil is not enough to keep everything lubricated therefore creating the tick.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would have them install the new all metal Doorman pentastar oil filter housing and change spark plugs while they're in there. There's no way I'd pay big bucks for another OEM plastic assembly.

In terms of ticking. It could be a broken rocker arm which is fairly common on pentastars.

It's not an exhaust manifold leak as pentastars do not have exhaust manifolds. They're cast right into the aluminum cylinder heads and the catalytic converter assemblies mount right up to the heads. There's a gasket there but I've never heard of one leak.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I would have them install the new all metal Doorman pentastar oil filter housing and change spark plugs while they're in there. There's no way I'd pay big bucks for another OEM plastic assembly.
Interesting, I didn't know anyone had an upgraded hosting. Do you know if the o-rings were upgraded & if the plastic plugs were eliminated?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Interesting, I didn't know anyone had an upgraded hosting. Do you know if the o-rings were upgraded & if the plastic plugs were eliminated?
Same thing happened to out 2014 Jeep Cherokee 3.2.........I upgraded with Dorman aluminum oil filter housing & coolant head crossover.........both are plastic & will warp over time/heat cycles causing leaks

Nothing plastic.......o-rings not the issue.....plastic warping causing o-rings to leak

This will explain it all:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like @crackerjack1957 said, the standard failure is movement of the plastic. O-rings can fail on any installation, but the failure rate is going to be much less. The plugs on the aluminum housing look to be metal of some sort.

As far as I know, you have to move your OEM cooler block and sensors over to the new aluminum housing, where as if you buy an OEM plastic assembly, it comes with those items pre-installed.

Hopefully you caught this thread in time and were able to have the doorman kit installed.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the Dorman replacement part too but the dealer will not install that for you as it is aftermarket and they will want to bone you on the OEM oil filter housing.

The price the dealer quoted you is fair as mentioned above.

Unfortunately when housing/cooler starts to leak they can escalate pretty fast. I have seen people claim to have run the engine dry and destroy it which is why checking your oil regularly is a good idea. They give you a dipstick for a reason. I also like to get the flashlight out and check down in the valley to make sure the area is not covered in oil too whenever I have the hood open on our Jeep. I would get it fixed and fill up the oil and see where you are at. The lifters are a known issue on the 3.6 and there have been many failures on the Jeep forum I am on but the upside is they are fairly easy to replace if need be.

duaneprouty1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V6. I noticed some spotting in my driveway that had increased over several days. I mistakenly thought it was transmission fluid. I also noticed a ticking noise coming from the truck over the last couple of weeks before I noticed any oil in the driveway. I did quite a bit of searching online and found the ticking to be a common exhaust issue with dodge. Listening to the tick it didn't seem it was coming from the engine it was more under the truck.

I took it to the dealership today and they told me it's leaking from the oil filter adapter. They also said the engine is basically out of oil, which is odd to me because I never got any low pressure warning.

They quoted me $770 for the oil filter adapter replacement. They also told me the ticking was because the engine was low on oil. They then continued to set me up that the engine may be damaged and may require further work.

Thanks

duaneprouty1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen this more than once, more so with not changing oil or using cheap oil that breaks down. Lucas oil stabilizer is an amazing product! Low oil is the arch nemesis to any engine. Not all oils are created equal, a human can not survive on McDonalds only, there will be negative effects, oil is kind of the same concept.

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

In terms of ticking. It could be a broken rocker arm which is fairly common on pentastars.

It's not an exhaust manifold leak as pentastars do not have exhaust manifolds. They're cast right into the aluminum cylinder heads and the catalytic converter assemblies mount right up to the heads. There's a gasket there but I've never heard of one leak.
have to agree with you 100% on both the Dorman upgrade as well as failed Roller Rockers and/or Lifters. after getting the 3.6 Pentistar tick after about 75K miles, replaced all 24 Rollers and Lifters with Mellings pieces(USA MADE) that i ordered from Rockauto. all 24 cam lodes were fine. found 3 rollers had failed. whil "in there" doing the Rocker/Lifter fix, replaced the oil filter/cooler with the aluminum Dorman upgrade. Fantastic product...

JasonKil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Thanks
I noticed the same. New oil cooler needed. Dealership quoted me $1200 and change.