Oil Light Came On; pressure showing fine (?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram2017_64164

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 Limited with 34,000km. I’m now at 36,564km and the oil light came on.

The truck sounds fine and the pressure gauge is at the middle. The oils is down slightly but where it should be for the km’s driven from its recent oil change.

I do have it booked in to the dealership to check the issue. I haven’t run the code check yet. I just wondering if this is something that seems to plague to Ram’s or if anyone has had this happen to them.

Thank you.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, neva had an oil light issue. I would immediately throw on a Code Reader and see if ne thing comes up? And also get into the dealer or someone U trust (mechanic) is available, just in case... And also, yup, pull that oil dipstick and check very frequently till diagnosed...

NOTE: Not something I have read about so maybe a short??? DUnno

ADDED: Welcome from Central Texas... :welcome:

FROM ANOTHER MEMBER POST IN MECHANIC SECTION: This was on a 2014 5.7L:

Been getting an on and off check engine light on my Lone Star Hemi. Dropped the truck off at my local dealership to diagnose and fix. After two days at the dealership, they still didn't have time to diagnose! AutoZone read the code and it showed "engine oil pressure sensor/switch" problem. Was kinda hard to get to, but replaced the switch myself for less than $50! No telling what the dealership would have charged if they were ever able to fix it.

ADDED: Even though check light, could be same issue. U definitely need codes read and that would be your starting Point...

Last edited:

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Defiantly get the code read from your local auto parts store. Check your oil level on the dipstick, and if its even a little low, add a bit more to see if that takes care of the issue. I'm sure it will most likely be a engine oil pressure sensor, but once again, get that code read. It's free! Best of luck with it