Oil related opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
I have a 94 Ram, 5speed, Cummins 12V with now 131,000 miles and will do an oil change. Before the change, I will send in a sample for an oil test. I plan to change to Amsoil full synthetic but my question is how do you feel about me doing an oil-flush first after the test but before draining the oil. The oil still looks amazingly good (not black like my 6.9L Ford/Navistar 6.9L) used to look, and I don't see any oil leaks. Would this be the right thing to do or might I be asking for trouble and opening up the proverbial can of worms? The truck seems to be running great and I am getting 18mpg with mostly in town driving and mostly empty box. Thanks in advance.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
MY 2 cents ,
If you change oil regular and use quality oil and when drained it looks good , IMO flushing would be a waste!
If it is nasty looking then maybe,
Sending out a sample IMO is a BIG PLUS
But using full synthetic as you have seen the drained oil looks pretty good then just stay on schedule

OP
OP
S

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
Hey Richard, thanks for the reply. By the way, if you're a crust old fart, what does that make me - USAF, 1965-1969.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey Richard, thanks for the reply. By the way, if you're a crust old fart, what does that make me - USAF, 1965-1969.
Nick That puts you in the same Old Boat lol , And Thank You for your service !
1648908305336.png

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1 to Rado, I only ever suggest flushes in applications where:
1. there's a lot of sludge when you open the engine up
2. engines like my 5.0 Ford that have VCT solenoids that get gummed up and have scanner verified cam timing issues
3. engines that spent a lot of time sitting and now burn a fair amount of oil (stuck/gummy rings)
Aside from issues like that, just keep on a reasonable schedule and you'll A-OK

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the engine has been serviced properly, then there shouldn’t be need for a flush. Just change the oil to a good syn blend or synthetic with a quality filter (not a bottom of the line Fram). I know Amsoil is quality stuff, but a little overpriced in my eyes. Delo or Mobil Delvac will do the job quite well for much less. Whichever brand you chose, it’s more important to change it regularly than to use some high dollar stuff…

And congrats on getting such an awesome combo with that low of miles!

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine flush loosens all the varnish and gum that has been depositing everywhere in your engine, if you loosen all of that up, you'll have high tolerances in all of your bearings, (Cam, mains rods pistons and rings) if you've gone this far with your oil changes and it looks clean leave it alone.

OP
OP
S

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
Based on the great opinions from this list, I decided to forgo the engine flush. I did the oil/filter change to Amsoil full synthetic. Amsoil is a bit pricey but they have a "membership" price that saves about 25%. It's advertised as a 25,000 mile oil but I don't believe it. I may consider 10,000 miles. I figure oil changes are cheaper than a new engine or a rebuild. I do know that big-rig oil changes run around 25,000 miles but what many people don't know is they measure oil capacity in gallons, not quarts. A typical class 8 engine holds 48 quarts. Thanks again for the replies.