Oil Smoke Already???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RidgebackBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram with 5.7 Hemi. Only 13,000 miles and driven easy. No towing, no hard use, just putting around and some highway miles. So, yesterday morning I remote stated the truck. It was 30 degrees outside and I happened to be looking at the truck when it started. When it started, there was a good amount of BLUE SMOKE! OH NO! What the XXXccc??? Has anyone else experienced this? I know that in older cars, a blue smoke puff at startup is often associated with worn valve seals. What is going on here? I won't ask if it is normal because it isn't. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I will wait and try starting it again tomorrow and see if it happens again. If it does, I am not looking forward to dealing with Ram service people. Thanks!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hard to say. It's common for the nooks and crannies in the upper intake manifolds to collect and pool oil over time from the PCV system in many engines. Sometimes depending on how the vehicle is parked or used just before it's parked, some oil can reach the combustion chamber.

I've got a 2019 classic and watch on startup from time to time. Never noticed anything other than water vapor when it's cold out.

I wouldn't panic unless it does this repeatedly or other issues crop up. Keep an eye on it and wait it out.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2018 2500 with 6.4l, I notice a small amount of smoke from time to time, but think it is because I haven't driven much. Only 6700 miles in a year and a half. But still bugs me.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am now officially stressed out. I pulled my truck out of garage today, and left in driveway to do some stuff. About 4 hours later I started up again and there was a lot of smoke. I mean not just a small luff but a cloud probably 10' cube and continued to push out some for 3-4 seconds. I am wondering if this could be bad rings, maybe(?). I don't want to take to dealer and have them just say that some is normal. I know this isn't normal. Any ideas on what and how it should be tested would be appreciated. Thanks

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take it you don't have a catch can installed.
No, to be honest I am not really knowledgeable about them. I have less than 7k on engine, drive it only around small town right now due to covid. I drove it about 10 miles Saturday. Just changed oil 2 weeks ago, PUP and Purple oli filter. No leaks on garage floor.

noodles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No, to be honest I am not really knowledgeable about them. I have less than 7k on engine, drive it only around small town right now due to covid. I drove it about 10 miles Saturday. Just changed oil 2 weeks ago, PUP and Purple oli filter. No leaks on garage floor.

I installed mine on my rig at less than 100 miles. It basically acts as a catch for the oil/gas/water that comes through the pcv to the intake. Just allows air/vapor, which should be the only things going to a intake.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I really liked the Catch Can when i had a Ram HEMI engine

There never was much in it, but i emptied it when the oil was changed.

I put the caught oil into a oil squirt can that i use around my garage

Blue smoke can often look like grey smoke at first. But if you notice a distinctive bluish tint, it may signal that the engine is burning lots of oil. This could be due to worn engine components like piston rings, valve seals, or PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valves.

Last edited:

noodles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really liked the Catch Can when i had a Ram HEMI engine

There never was much in it, but i emptied it when the oil was changed.

I put the caught oil into a oil squirt can that i use around my garage

I have emptied mine a couple of times since the last oil change at 1100 miles (now 2800). Wasn't much, though.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I only have 7k on this, and it did appear blue. Going to try and capture video. I noticed it about 1k ago, thought I was seeing things.

20 Wyt Lytning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Install an Oil Catchcan and try that. It keeps the oil from the PCV system from entering the intake by filtering out the oil. You can find them relative inexpensive and they are easy to install. Just a thought.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
It's not right, don't "Band Aid" it with a catch can or anything. Video the problem and take it to the dealer and have them repair it the correct way. It's only going to get worse until it is repaired right.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have emptied mine a couple of times since the last oil change at 1100 miles (now 2800). Wasn't much, though.

There really shouldn't be much oil in the catch can unless you are running high rpm's. At high RPM's you will get alot of oil splashing around the valve train and this of course could go into the PCV system due to higher pressure in the crankcase. This is more of an issue really with alot of high performance cars as they usually run higher RPM's

If you are getting oil at start up, which I wonder,,,it was really cold so you might have been just getting more of a response out of your cats at startup.. You run richer at startup so there would be a richer mix. I would bet it doesn't do it on a warm morning. Oil smoke at startup is either valve stem seals or worn guides, but then if it is your guides you would get smoke on deceleration...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 19 Charger R/T does it from time to time. Its never used any oil. I am not really worried about it. I would suggest the catch can tho.