Oil Spray for Winter . . . Thoughts ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OK, it's a little after the fact since I had it done yesterday, but I still would like to see what anybody knows about it, or opinions on it. Maybe it's a NE Ohio thing, but in our county alone, there are 4 or 5 guys who offer "Oil Spray" for vehicles every fall. Pretty cheap, and pretty simple. For around $50 they spray in the doors, fenders, bed, and the whole undercarriage with new hydraulic oil. There are lines in these places every weekend 30 or 40 cars deep. People around here swear by it. After a week of dripping, then you can wash the excess overspray off the paint, and they say not to go thru a carwash with a chasis bath.

Again, it seemed like a good idea, and aside from the mess, I gotta think it can only help with the salt and calcium road treatments here in Ohio during the winter. I do wonder about things like window motors and speakers in the doors, and what they think of a little oil on them, but maybe they are shielded inside the door ?

Any way, just thought I'd throw it out there, and see what anybody else knew about it.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Already had mine sprayed by a company called Krown here in Ontario.It sprays on like oil,but doesn't wash off as easy.I've heard of a lot of different things being sprayed on vehicles,but that's the first I've heard of anyone using hydraulic oil.Anyways my opinion is that anything that's sprayed inside all of the panels is better than what it comes with.The metal in vehicles now days is so thin that they all need a fighting chance here in the land of salt and brine.

BTW Krown has it's own lifetime perforation warr. if it's done yearly.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do a search I know there is a thread about it. I found out about fluid film and a couple of other lanolin based products.
I live in MA and bought multiple cans and sprayed undercoating and then went back over everything with a lanolin based product to ensure no rust from winter salt.

OP
OP
BOWERSFJ

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not waitin on anything ... Just wanna protect my big white baby from these ****** Ohio winters ... Hasn't been bad so far, but it's comin ... Aarrggg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This scares me. I don't know why. It's like someone saying the earth is round. BLASPHEMY. Truthfully I paid for the undercoating and paint protectant which has a warranty. I will wash it every sunny day I get a chance roads dry or not.

That said how long have people been doing this? If it has a proven track record then I suppose. But the average joe doesn't keep a car more than 5 years anymore so who has been using it for a decade that can say "Look at the proof!". They might be out there but...I have trust issues and hate people. Would rather climb up under it and touch up the underside, and spray my own protectant on.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thus the previous statement of buying and applying. Did it myself so I know that it's done

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do a search I know there is a thread about it. I found out about fluid film and a couple of other lanolin based products.
I live in MA and bought multiple cans and sprayed undercoating and then went back over everything with a lanolin based product to ensure no rust from winter salt.

I'm assuming you sprayed all the sheet metal you could get to,but what about the inside of the panels?You do know these things rot from the inside out.There's pictures on the Ramz forum of a 13 with hole right through the front fender above the Hemi emblem.The factory undercoating and just spraying the bottom of the truck with whatever is not going to save you from this type of thing.The companies that do rustproofing and warr. that rustproofing spray the inside of all your panels as well as what's exposed.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This scares me. I don't know why. It's like someone saying the earth is round. BLASPHEMY. Truthfully I paid for the undercoating and paint protectant which has a warranty. I will wash it every sunny day I get a chance roads dry or not.

That said how long have people been doing this? If it has a proven track record then I suppose. But the average joe doesn't keep a car more than 5 years anymore so who has been using it for a decade that can say "Look at the proof!". They might be out there but...I have trust issues and hate people. Would rather climb up under it and touch up the underside, and spray my own protectant on.

Rust proofing has been around since the early 70's at least.Pretty sure they know what they're doing.

BTW Your undercoating and paint protectant will do nothing to keep the panels from rotting out from the inside like they normally do.

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Ziebart!

It's a dripless undercoat which I liked better.

I also did the rustproof where they pull grommets and seals and get in the body panels with a wand. They had another option which was more thorough but it required drilling holes and putting in grommets which I didn't like so much.

I see plenty of dodge rams in my area rusting out so if I can prevent that from happening the money is well spent.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
for all the poor owners that live in salt country I would definitely have my winter vehicle sprayed, around my part of the world salt rarely works as it is to cold to be effective and the summer toys well say no more.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rust proofing has been around since the early 70's at least.Pretty sure they know what they're doing.

BTW Your undercoating and paint protectant will do nothing to keep the panels from rotting out from the inside like they normally do.

You are so right, rust proofing has been around for some time now. So myself and others adding extra on the outer only helps more so versus just what the factory has done.
To each his own. As for me I will continue my yearly ritual as it makes me one with my truck