Old muffler just won't budge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moledodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DAT HEMIIIIIII 5.7
Hey guys I bought an outlaw direct fit muffler thinking it would be a simple one hour job however it's turned into a six hour job and it's not even complete. My issue is with taking the old exhaust off. In preparation for this I soaked all the bolts days in advance with acetone and atf. Well that did nothing and after an hour or so fighting with the thing the bolts became rounded so I had to cut off the clamps with the dremel. After removing all three clamps I'm left with a muffler that I can't remove. I tried heating it with a propane torch, pulling every which way, hitting it with a mallet, pulling with ratchet straps and a 2x4. Yet I still have nothing. The thing will not come off. I bought the outlaw so I could do it myself in my driveway but no I'm SOL. I don't really feel like paying a shop since that was the purpose of getting a direct fit. Idk what else to do. Currently the thing is sitting in the driveway clampless laughing at me.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Try using the dremel to cut the muffler flange down the length where it was clamped to the pipe on two sides, then chisel to spread the halves apart a little. Should give you enough play to muscle it off.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience is that the old muffler has to be cut off....the clamps crimp the old muffler flanges around the exhaust pipes, making it tough to remove. Tho only other option is to buy a tool that is like a chisel made for muffler removal....it goes between the exhaust pipe and the muffler flange and generally rips the flange apart so the muffler can be removed....good luck

That's why I no longer do my own exhaust work....it I had a lift and the proper tools, I would, but it is just too much hassle. The local muffler shop does a great job and is fairly cheap....

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh so many projects go like that for me.....[laughing] not funny right now. He's right, cut long ways on the flange and you'll get it.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
So many threads end this way. Did he get it off? Has he been under the truck for 2 days trying? Is a local muffler shop a couple of bucks richer? Hopefully we will find out.

OP
OP
M

moledodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DAT HEMIIIIIII 5.7
So many threads end this way. Did he get it off? Has he been under the truck for 2 days trying? Is a local muffler shop a couple of bucks richer? Hopefully we will find out.

Lol average guy I share your same frustrations as I hate not knowing the outcome but I will not keep you waiting in suspense....... The end result is that the muffler shop was a couple bucks richer. I tried everything and I mean everything to get this off but to no avail. I worked on the thing for two days straight (so much for an hour install flomaster) and finally caved. I didn't want to ruin the old muffler in case I ever want to switch back. The muffler shop was able to get it cherry red with an oxy torch and was able to salvage the old muffler by just using a ball pean hammer. All in all it cost me 60 bucks for the install plus a 10 dollar tip to the mechanic ( I always do this as I feel it's a nice gesture and usually gets me great service in the future) but it's on and it sounds great.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks for the update! I will sleep better tonight knowing you are not still under your truck and your muffler is on.