One piece or two piece driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethcolby3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hi guys,
So I’m in the process of ordering the MaxTrac 7” lift kit, but one of the options is whether I have a one piece driveshaft or two piece. It looks like I need a carrier bearing spacer if I have a two piece driveshaft. I’m going to be honest, though, I have no idea which one I have, and I also don’t even know how to go about checking. So I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. The truck is a 2010 Ram 1500, 5.7L 2WD Crew Cab Short Bed.

Thank you in advance for your help

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Send a pic.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi guys,
So I’m in the process of ordering the MaxTrac 7” lift kit, but one of the options is whether I have a one piece driveshaft or two piece. It looks like I need a carrier bearing spacer if I have a two piece driveshaft. I’m going to be honest, though, I have no idea which one I have, and I also don’t even know how to go about checking. So I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. The truck is a 2010 Ram 1500, 5.7L 2WD Crew Cab Short Bed.

Crawl under the truck and look at the driveshaft,it's pretty easy to see if it's a single shaft from the back of the transmission to the rearend,if it's a 2 piece shaft,it'll have a carrier bearing where the 2 shafts join.Best option is to usually look at your truck first,and if the obvious doesn't jump out at you,then go to social media. If you don't know what the driveshaft is,or how to check and see if it's a single shaft or a 2 piece shaft,are you sure you need a 7" lift.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One or two piece drive shafts can depend on length
drive shaft makers do not like to build 60" drive shafts, so they use a carrier bearing near the center

another reason for a 2 piece drive shaft has to do with U-joint angles, it is a bit complicated to explain

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hi guys,

Those specs should put you at the 140.x wheel base which I'm 99% sure you have a 2 piece drive shaft.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think in most cases 2WDs usually have 2 piece driveshafts with a carrier bearing since you are missing the length extension of the transfer case. As stated before just take a quick peek under the truck and you will see either one or two driveshafts extending from the transmission to the rear differential.

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Bumping this for help - I just had a 7” Maxtrac lift installed on my 2021 RWD Bighorn, I have a 2 pice driveshaft (quad cab, 6’4” bed). Do I need the carrier bolt spacer/drop kit? It wasn’t an option to order from Maxtrac for my model year, but I can order it for the older year (should fit mine) or order from Zone for my year.

I reached out to Maxtrac via email, they claim it’s not necessary for the 19 and newer model year. However…there is noticeably more vibration than pre install (when there was none), specifically between 52-58 mph, maybe this is what’s causing it?

**sorry wrong forum - will move to 5th gen

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Bumping this for help - I just had a 7” Maxtrac lift installed on my 2021 RWD Bighorn, I have a 2 pice driveshaft (quad cab, 6’4” bed). Do I need the carrier bolt spacer/drop kit? It wasn’t an option to order from Maxtrac for my model year, but I can order it for the older year (should fit mine) or order from Zone for my year.

I reached out to Maxtrac via email, they claim it’s not necessary for the 19 and newer model year. However…there is noticeably more vibration than pre install (when there was none), specifically between 52-58 mph, maybe this is what’s causing it?

**sorry wrong forum - will move to 5th gen

It will absolutely help your issue, but you will have to measure during installation. The kit provides 3 spacers on each bolt of the drop kit.
You might only need 1 or 2 spacers on each side vs the full 3.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
It will absolutely help your issue, but you will have to measure during installation. The kit provides 3 spacers on each bolt of the drop kit.
You might only need 1 or 2 spacers on each side vs the full 3.
I forgot to mention the 3 spacers ... but I am pretty sure he is going to need all 3 regardless ....