Front driveshaft damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took my truck into the shop to diagnose a front pop, long story short, and not to divert from the point of this thread... I ended up having them throw in the new front driveshaft I had on hand. I noticed the old one around 85k miles had the cv boot busted. Currently have 120k miles.

I was under the truck today replacing cv axels and noticed that the cv boot on the new driveshaft is torn already. It's only been two weeks. The shop confirmed I had the correct front axel replacement, it's a Dorman. Any of you other lifted guys having this type of issue? I have a 6 inch BDS lift. The driveshaft angle is a bit steep, any better options out there? I guess I'll pump grease in there regularly like I do for all the bjs and zerk points?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know those types of driveshafts (cv joint) are on the jeeps too, and they are known to tear/fail when in the lifted application as well. When i lifted my jeep i replaced the stock shaft with one that has a double cardan joint where the cv joint was, as they can handle steeper applications better. They are pre-built and readily available for jeeps (what isnt lol)…not sure about for half ton rams though.

Do you have spacers or a leveling kit over and above the 6” bds kit?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know those types of driveshafts (cv joint) are on the jeeps too, and they are known to tear/fail when in the lifted application as well. When i lifted my jeep i replaced the stock shaft with one that has a double cardan joint where the cv joint was, as they can handle steeper applications better. They are pre-built and readily available for jeeps (what isnt lol)…not sure about for half ton rams though.

Do you have spacers or a leveling kit over and above the 6” bds kit?
Nope, just the BDS lift

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats just bad luck. Its a non issue on these truck even lifted. But dont use that dorman junk next time ;)

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats just bad luck. Its a non issue on these truck even lifted. But dont use that dorman junk next time ;)
Neato, keeping the streak going.

I guess I'll just run it as is until it conks out and then get a double cardan custom driveshaft, which I should have just done in the first place. I didn't recall this being much of an issue though, so I didn't bother.

The tear is maybe a couple inches at the moment, maybe I'll see if I can super glue it together for some additional longevity.

On the bright side, at least I don't have a rusty shaft anymore lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat