One Year Update - A Fully Deleted Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Recover investment? What do you mean by that? Also what kind of stuff do they deal with in the cold? Lived in Colorado for the past 10 years and didn't have any issues at all.

For clarity, I didn't mean this to start a gas vs. diesel investment DEF/Oil changes debate of which there are 10,000 on the web.

The folks I am talking about specifically are contractors, builders, loggers, etc I am friends with. When they spend $40-70K on a rig they intend to drive that thing into the ground before buying another one. So, once it is paid off they expect a multi-year period of no truck payments where they are just paying expected routine maintenance costs. Long term reliability is key not just for the drive train but the whole rig. Getting stuck 15 miles up a muddy snowy logging road in -20 sucks balls.

They are small mom & pop guys who don't have access to a "fleet" maintenance plan etc.

So that post-payment period to them is their recovery of their investment in the new rig, whether it runs on gas, diesel, unicorn tears etc.

RE70L7ER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Even on my 2 previous Cummins, I never went down the road of delete kits...so I’m trying to build my LOK on the subject. Can you do a full delete in increments? ie, smaller cheaper steps instead everything at once that probably costs $1500-$2000 and causes my wife to break my legs and I wouldn’t get to enjoy driving it anyway?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Even on my 2 previous Cummins, I never went down the road of delete kits...so I’m trying to build my LOK on the subject. Can you do a full delete in increments? ie, smaller cheaper steps instead everything at once that probably costs $1500-$2000 and causes my wife to break my legs and I wouldn’t get to enjoy driving it anyway?

Yes. The only thing you need is a new exhaust system or delete pipes to replace your DPF and SCR and a tuner. EFI just announced that you can unlock the ECM with their tuning so you don't have to buy a Bully Dog or Edge device to unlock the ECM which saves about $400-500.

You don't have to delete the EGR or any of those components. I did because I didn't want to have to tap a drill a whole for my pyrometer and the EGR block off plates already come tapped. Fair warning if you do decide to delete the EGR, you will need a resonator because you will get A LOT of drone after it is gone. However, you can leave it in without hurting anything.

Also, keep in mind that the delete will pay for itself over time with the fuel savings. My EVIC did not show much of an MPG gain, but my hand calculated showed 2-3 mpg. I calculated that it would take 70k miles to pay for itself when I deleted in 2016, but it ended up taking less time due to fuel prices increasing.

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Did you do all the work your self? Where did you get all the parts. I would like to make sure my 68rfe isnt going to give out on me when I do this. I have $2800 to spend, but I'd like to pay someone to do it to make sure its done right.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Did you do all the work your self? Where did you get all the parts. I would like to make sure my 68rfe isnt going to give out on me when I do this. I have $2800 to spend, but I'd like to pay someone to do it to make sure its done right.

If you are just going to delete the DPF and SCR, and replace it with an exhaust then I would not pay someone to do it. It is really easy. All you do is disconnect the sensors and unbolt the current emissions exhaust. The PITA part is holding the down pipe up to the turbo(if you are doing it yourself) as you are trying to bolt it on and getting the last pipe over the rear axle(if you don't jack up the rear a certain way). Unlocking and tuning it is easy as well. Just follow the directions and you should be fine.

Pro tip: When disconnecting the sensors, make sure you tape up of cover the bare harness just in case you want to return to stock. This is especially needed in places with a lot of snow because the road salts will corrode these wires. Also, when installing the last pipe over the axle, it helps to jack up the rear from the receiver hitch. This will cause the axle to drop as the truck goes up giving you plenty of room for the exhaust pipe.

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I can do the delete for sure. I should have clearified in my previous post. Id probably want to get someone to do that tranny mods. I dont like the idea of dropping my tranny and opening it up. Lol. I have some mechankc back ground but not much.