only hot heat or cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i replaced the thermostat in my 2000 dodge ram. the heat is great. the problem i have is that i cant turn it down. when i place the temperature knob to the lower the heat it just goes to cold. this is with it placed almost in the middle.
so i either sweat or freeze.
please send me in the right direction

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ya, has to be the worst. my outside air blend door is stuck open, ive just dealt with it because taking my dash out just isnt something i have time for

OP
OP
P

paxmaster2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So is it just stuck and what does it take to fix it. Right now what i do is put it on heat and when it gets to hot i open a window

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
im not 100% sure how that blend door works, but when the thermostat is set inbetween heat and cool , the blend door should move so far in a certain direction and stop. it sounds like yours is missing the stops and fully closing on one side or the other. maybe someone with more knowledge of this will chime in.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If it is in a 2nd gen there is a spring and a lever that is pulled but the knob. If you pull down the glove box you can see the mechanism behind the dash. Mine actually popped off the cable. I was able to reach up there and put it back on. If it's on a newer truck then its usually electrical and you have to pull the dash. At some point in the 2nd gen's they did switch to the stepper motor. I am just not sure what year they did that. 98 is still a cable. I know that for sure.

Minimally you can roll the dash forward to check it out too on a 2nd gen.