Opinion on service bill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTrailrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy,

As you can see, I just joined this forum, and based on the title, you might think I am going to be angry. Maybe. The verbal quote was $818. Which seemed a bit high, but not extreme, so ok, do it, I don't want to and can't. I picked up the truck and turns out they do not include taxes or "Shop supplies" on the estimate. What is shop supplies? Pizza? Toilet paper? Sounds like overhead to me. Why not charge me for occupancy cost? Maybe parking? This place is nowhere near a dealership. Just a repair shop. I have been coming here for years, but they changed ownership...

I would like a few opinions on this bill. I have no idea if the AC work is reasonable; I know it is expensive, and there are specialized tools involved. It looks like the transmission service is a little high, but not outrageous. What do you think?

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST V6 3.7L that I bought new in 2002!

Thanks, Dodge bill.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work in a dealer the trans service cost looks right. The only thing i see that is crazy is the $240 to re charge the system that should of been included int the line replacement r134 is cheap. As far as shop supplies i dont know.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Appears to be the norm. I don't know of anyplace that will include them in the estimate, I always ask for the out the door price and still plan on giving about a 10% leeway.

OP
OP
N

NCTrailrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose what irritated me is $21 per quart for trans fluid, when they probably pay $6-8 in bulk. $40 shop supplies? $5 or $10 would have gone unnoticed.

The former owner stuck by his estimate and had open communication. The estimate I was given was $818. The bill was $919. And the cashier had no idea what shop supplies meant. Condescending tone of a 20 year old, "I guess it's supplies they use in the shop."

But I did not ask if that was the total bill. So I am partly to blame. I just got in the habit of not needing to ask with the former owner. And $100 either way is not going to make that much difference.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I’d be looking for a new shop, and I’d let the business owner know why. Inaccurate estimates and condescending attitude? Not going to get much repeat business.
Agreed, buy existing successful shop so you have a client base. Hire snarky staff, change quote process and probably a bunch of other stuff, owner not present: so immediately set out to pee off the existing clients. GREAT business model, NOT!!!!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'm familiar with that operations system, it is Protractor Software.
Anyhoo...
The shop supplies has an astrix with a 'S' on it.
Looking at the invoice I see this astrix and 'S' on all items applicable to environmental charges.
This is what it's classified here in Canuck-Land on service invoices.
I am thinking this is what the shop supplies is for.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shop supplies are things that we use but are too menial to list, (1/3 can of cleaner/degreaser, four paper towels, a few zip ties, [hopefully] two new Schrader valves in the refrigerant charging ports, some refrigerant oil, some sealant or such transmission pan, and a little GoJo hand cleaner, perhaps a paper floor mat so their greasy shoes didn't leave a smudge.)

What worries my is where is the charge for the new a/c accumulator drier? Surely they replaced that.

$55.71 sounds like only the pan filter and not the spin on filter too, meh, most other transmission don't have a pump spin on filter, so OK

ATF +4 is upwards of $9 quart IF you can find a deal and doesn't include shipping.

I wonder how they got 8 quarts out....

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Howdy,

As you can see, I just joined this forum, and based on the title, you might think I am going to be angry. Maybe. The verbal quote was $818. Which seemed a bit high, but not extreme, so ok, do it, I don't want to and can't. I picked up the truck and turns out they do not include taxes or "Shop supplies" on the estimate. What is shop supplies? Pizza? Toilet paper? Sounds like overhead to me. Why not charge me for occupancy cost? Maybe parking? This place is nowhere near a dealership. Just a repair shop. I have been coming here for years, but they changed ownership...

I would like a few opinions on this bill. I have no idea if the AC work is reasonable; I know it is expensive, and there are specialized tools involved. It looks like the transmission service is a little high, but not outrageous. What do you think?

Thanks, View attachment 526886
Shop supplies have been charged on work orders for over 25 years here in New Brunswick, Canada, and are usually based on a percentage of every hour of technicians time spent on your vehicle. This garage charges 5% of the labor charge, which I suspect is $139.95 per hour by the labor charges, and shop supplies is for anything that is not actually invoiced to you in parts - seals for ac lines if they don't come with the new hose, or perhaps they make their own hoses and reuse the ends so they replace the seals, which is common, brake cleaner, rags, miscellaneous bolts, nuts, cable ties, etc. As far as the prices of the services performed on your truck, they seem reasonable to me, although the work order is obviously in USD, but seem on par for what it would be in Canada. AC service, although all based on the same principal, system and components, is now a trade in itself for a technician who is good at what he or she does. With the variances in manufacturers placement of components, switches, sensors, etc., it isn't "they are all the same" anymore.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just checked the on-line price for Mopar ATF-4 in 1 quart versions and it looks like several are selling it for just under $10US. But, that does not include shipping.

These on-line prices appear to be discounted. Keep in mind that service repair shops are almost always prone to sell at retail, so maybe $20 is reasonable retail. (I can't check the dealer retail at this hour).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97206 miles.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
anything on the list, including the blue bottle from Walmart is approved ATF+4

What is not on the list is any 'universal' atf that the kid at auutoparts store wants to put in your trunk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Howdy,

Thanks, View attachment 526886
The recharge for A/C is high because they can pull your R134A out and save it in the machine and the work is complete then put yours back. So maybe you paid for your very own R-134A