Ordering ‘19 PW on Mon: need accessory help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey Sailor, you've picked a great truck to start with . A Power Wagon makes a great off road exploring rig, and the Rambox is a great option from the factory. That is what I have, and it is so nice to be able to carry all of my recovery gear, and have everything stowed out of the way, and still have an empty bed to carry large items in, like an ATV, etc.

As for my input on your other questions. 37s will fit with stock suspension, but buying the correct wheel makes all the difference in the world. Too positive of an offset (stock) and the inside edge of the tire will rub the front suspension control arm at full turn. Too negative of an offset and the outer edge of the tire will rub the rear edge of the inner fender liner at full turn. The best wheels for tire fitment are the AEV wheels with (I think) a +27 offset. Second best is any of several wheels that can be found with a +18 offset. Any wheel with less offset than +18 is going to result in more tire rub. I'm running 37s with +18 offset wheels, on stock suspension, and my truck is fine. 1" of plastic was trimmed off the rear edge of the front inner fender liner, which took <5 min.

I am running stock 4.10 gears, and gearing is fine in my opinion. After 7000 miles running this set up in the Rocky Mountains I see no need to regear, even when towing. When towing with a gas engine truck and an 8 speed transmission the transmission is going to downshift, period, even with stock tires. Changing to 5.13 gears wont help, it will still downshift. Well, it will also down shift with 37s, but with the taller tire you are turning fewer RPM after is shifts into the lower gear. I actually prefer it to stock. At 70 mph on GPS my speedometer says I'm going 62 or 63 mph. That is a nice mellow cruising speed, even in a lower gear, and it doesn't feel like it is overworking the truck at all. It could pull a grade in that gear at that speed all day long.

So I say buy the truck, and enjoy it. Don't go into this thinking "I've got to buy this, and I've got to buy that", because you don't have to. I would install 37s if you want, and see how it does. I suspect you won't think it needs anything else. The Thuren lift wont prevent tire rub, it has the same bump stop length as stock, which is what determines tire rub.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey Sailor, you've picked a great truck to start with . A Power Wagon makes a great off road exploring rig, and the Rambox is a great option from the factory. That is what I have, and it is so nice to be able to carry all of my recovery gear, and have everything stowed out of the way, and still have an empty bed to carry large items in, like an ATV, etc.

As for my input on your other questions. 37s will fit with stock suspension, but buying the correct wheel makes all the difference in the world. Too positive of an offset (stock) and the inside edge of the tire will rub the front suspension control arm at full turn. Too negative of an offset and the outer edge of the tire will rub the rear edge of the inner fender liner at full turn. The best wheels for tire fitment are the AEV wheels with (I think) a +27 offset. Second best is any of several wheels that can be found with a +18 offset. Any wheel with less offset than +18 is going to result in more tire rub. I'm running 37s with +18 offset wheels, on stock suspension, and my truck is fine. 1" of plastic was trimmed off the rear edge of the front inner fender liner, which took <5 min.

I am running stock 4.10 gears, and gearing is fine in my opinion. After 7000 miles running this set up in the Rocky Mountains I see no need to regear, even when towing. When towing with a gas engine truck and an 8 speed transmission the transmission is going to downshift, period, even with stock tires. Changing to 5.13 gears wont help, it will still downshift. Well, it will also down shift with 37s, but with the taller tire you are turning fewer RPM after is shifts into the lower gear. I actually prefer it to stock. At 70 mph on GPS my speedometer says I'm going 62 or 63 mph. That is a nice mellow cruising speed, even in a lower gear, and it doesn't feel like it is overworking the truck at all. It could pull a grade in that gear at that speed all day long.

So I say buy the truck, and enjoy it. Don't go into this thinking "I've got to buy this, and I've got to buy that", because you don't have to. I would install 37s if you want, and see how it does. I suspect you won't think it needs anything else. The Thuren lift wont prevent tire rub, it has the same bump stop length as stock, which is what determines tire rub.
I do reccomend the alphaobd with their recommended obd2 reader and the bypass harness that is offered on this forum to recalibrate speedometer. I'll be ordering mine next month since wheels will be here.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@SeaSickSailor check out http://www.dodgeoffroad.com they have a ****load of upgrades for the power wagon. Just say goodbye to your pension for a while.

I highly recommend doing research about that company. I have read of several people spending thousands there and not getting there goods for months on end... sometimes never.
Thanks for the heads up. If I do order from them I'll make sure to call beforehand to find out lead times. I ordered my wheels from discount tire direct and they had a 6 month lead time. It's been a long wait since may lol

Search the forum. I'm one of those people who ordered a lift for my truck. Over the course of 8 months I received less than half of the parts and then took me 3 months to deal with a charge back on soemthing they quote being done in 6-8 weeks. But they also put a disclaimer that says "could take longer and times are not guaranteed".

By the time I was done I had about 50 emails back and forth, half of which were status update requests and a quarter of those were never answered. As for getting someone on the phn, you've got better luck of dialing an imaginary number and speaking with Satan. I called them close to 15 times, spoke with a girl named Brittany 3 times where she told me she would call back with an update and never did, 8 times I left voicemails which were never returned, and the other 4 times some guy answered and I requested to speak with Danny Gaston (the owner) at various times of the day and magically he was always on vacation.

I've posted several times about this company.

6 BBB claims for the same issue in 4 months.

If they were as committed to filling orders as they are doing **** to their own trucks they'd be a good company. They rebuild two of their RAMs and started another project while failing to compete my order. 2 of the trucks they build were the same kit I ordered.

Highly recommend staying as far away from them as possible unless you just wanna **** money away to never get your order.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Search the forum. I'm one of those people who ordered a lift for my truck. Over the course of 8 months I received less than half of the parts and then took me 3 months to deal with a charge back on soemthing they quote being done in 6-8 weeks. But they also put a disclaimer that says "could take longer and times are not guaranteed".

By the time I was done I had about 50 emails back and forth, half of which were status update requests and a quarter of those were never answered. As for getting someone on the phn, you've got better luck of dialing an imaginary number and speaking with Satan. I called them close to 15 times, spoke with a girl named Brittany 3 times where she told me she would call back with an update and never did, 8 times I left voicemails which were never returned, and the other 4 times some guy answered and I requested to speak with Danny Gaston (the owner) at various times of the day and magically he was always on vacation.

I've posted several times about this company.

6 BBB claims for the same issue in 4 months.

If they were as committed to filling orders as they are doing **** to their own trucks they'd be a good company. They rebuild two of their RAMs and started another project while failing to compete my order. 2 of the trucks they build were the same kit I ordered.

Highly recommend staying as far away from them as possible unless you just wanna **** money away to never get your order.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jesus f-ing christ. Thank you so much for your experience. I've been talking with nick from gotexhaust and he is going to talk to Spence at core4x4 to see what they are willing to fab up in regards to making comparable items since the only thing core offers for the 2018 are the rest control arms..

I know I can use thuren for the traction bars, and I can use their sway bar end links. Since I have a rough country 4.5" lift already that's about it. I do want to do the steering brace and the aftermarket drag link and steering stabilizer.

I really like the idea of the long arm kit to replace the radius arms in giving more clearance up front.

I really appreciate you weighing in on this issue.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jesus f-ing christ. Thank you so much for your experience. I've been talking with nick from gotexhaust and he is going to talk to Spence at core4x4 to see what they are willing to fab up in regards to making comparable items since the only thing core offers for the 2018 are the rest control arms..

I know I can use thuren for the traction bars, and I can use their sway bar end links. Since I have a rough country 4.5" lift already that's about it. I do want to do the steering brace and the aftermarket drag link and steering stabilizer.

I really like the idea of the long arm kit to replace the radius arms in giving more clearance up front.

I really appreciate you weighing in on this issue.

Traction bars? You mean track bars?

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Last I talked to Nuthouse you’d likely be looking at about 6 months for a rack setup from them - that was back in late April.

FWIW, they have outstanding customer service and I’m super happy with the setup they built for me.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. Knowing what offset fits best is a big help. Had to do that with my 2014 1500 SLT even with a 4” lift. I am a really conservative driver so I’m not looking for aggressive low end capability. As I do a fair bit of off-road driving, if the 4.10s work well I’ll delay any gear change. One issue I have is paranoia about popping a bead so I don’t air down as much as I’d like to. I think I’ll end up with 37s with new 17” beadlocks with the appropriate offset so that I only need to trim well liners. Again, thanks.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Last I talked to Nuthouse you’d likely be looking at about 6 months for a rack setup from them - that was back in late April.

FWIW, they have outstanding customer service and I’m super happy with the setup they built for me.
Good to know. I’m calling next week to order. Right after I order the ‘19 PW.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Lol I had traction bars under my 66 mustang to help with positive traction on launches.

OP, look into Diamond back covers
They make a cover to fit inside the ram boxes and it still hold 1600lbs on top for your ATV
https://diamondbackcovers.com/colle...arvar&utm_medium=email&utm_content=navigation

View attachment 180120
I called diamondback to find out if they would actually hold the 1600lbs resting on the rail system, and they said yes. They put an ATV on it and were surprised it held just fine. I'm going to get one when I have the cash.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I would order a ‘20 but it’s too painful to have to wait. Chatted with FCA yesterday and they don’t have any projected availability dates (or won’t say). Having the dealership install dual battery system and onboard air.

1st accessory will be White Knuckle rock sliders.
2nd will probably be 35s. I may eventually go with 37s but don’t want the hassle and expense of re-gearing both diffs (yet). Even with the 35s I will want to reprogram the computer accordingly. I’ve heard that the Tazer device is the best for this. I can’t find any information on the specific one that I would need. Anyone here have any information on this?
3rd will be a large package of Nuthouse Industries stuff to include: coiling tonneau cover, equipment rack with light package, spare tire carrier, and bed slide. Going with Nuthouse because their stuff is compatible with Rambox.

Definitely more stuff not listed here (like a RTT, lights, sPod) but haven’t decided which ones yet.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
With on board air you should consider the airlift 5000 if you are towing anything heavy.
I like Rough Country and they shipped me some stuff for my Raptor that gave me zero issues for the 100k I put on it before I sold it. I have some of their lights in my shopping cart. It is a hard choice with theirs or Ridged lights.
Speaking of lights. Order your PW with the uplifter switches. That, the ram boxes and the duel alternator is the only 3 things I did not get on mine.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I called diamondback to find out if they would actually hold the 1600lbs resting on the rail system, and they said yes. They put an ATV on it and were surprised it held just fine. I'm going to get one when I have the cash.

Heck yeah!
I’m on my 2nd truck that I bought one for. And it is superior to all covers. As I had the 3 main ones truck owners buy.
It’s nice to put a load on top and so you don’t have to unload your truck. Or have a forklift load you from the side.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Heck yeah!
I’m on my 2nd truck that I bought one for. And it is superior to all covers. As I had the 3 main ones truck owners buy.
It’s nice to put a load on top and so you don’t have to unload your truck. Or have a forklift load you from the side.
I'm planning on doing that top with a bedside and Plano boxes under it for storage when I overland. I want an overland rack but I want it narrower so I can mount it on top of the diamondback and the RTT on it. The reason I want it narrower is so I can still do side mountings for rotopax and stuff and still open the ramboxes.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I'm planning on doing that top with a bedside and Plano boxes under it for storage when I overland. I want an overland rack but I want it narrower so I can mount it on top of the diamondback and the RTT on it. The reason I want it narrower is so I can still do side mountings for rotopax and stuff and still open the ramboxes.

Over-landing has intrigued me since I had the cover to support it. There is a lot of people buying Diamond back to over land with.

To the OP if you have the duel battery setup you are half way there on the converter set up that I wanted to do for camping and tailgating.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’ve been
With on board air you should consider the airlift 5000 if you are towing anything heavy.
I like Rough Country and they shipped me some stuff for my Raptor that gave me zero issues for the 100k I put on it before I sold it. I have some of their lights in my shopping cart. It is a hard choice with theirs or Ridged lights.
Speaking of lights. Order your PW with the uplifter switches. That, the ram boxes and the duel alternator is the only 3 things I did not get on mine.
told, but nobody has been able to confirm, that the VSIM Upfitter option doesn’t come with with any cabin switches for control of the devices connected through the VSIM module. If true, I might as well go with an sPod type unit. Can anyone shed some light on this?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been

told, but nobody has been able to confirm, that the VSIM Upfitter option doesn’t come with with any cabin switches for control of the devices connected through the VSIM module. If true, I might as well go with an sPod type unit. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The factory upfitter switches are alright, but I think the sPod setup would be better. At least you can label the switches.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, I pulled the trigger! ‘19 PW with pretty much all the bells and whistles. Final cost, including all taxes and fees was an $5-7K less than I figured that it would be. Should be at the dealership in 6-8 weeks. Still got a lot of mods and equipment to get. I’ll take a more iterative approach to that.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Well, I pulled the trigger! ‘19 PW with pretty much all the bells and whistles. Final cost, including all taxes and fees was an $5-7K less than I figured that it would be. Should be at the dealership in 6-8 weeks. Still got a lot of mods and equipment to get. I’ll take a more iterative approach to that.
Congrats. Welcome to the Club (in 6-8 weeks lol)