Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Ordering ‘19 PW on Mon: need accessory help

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by SeaSickSailor, Sep 10, 2019.

1. SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    I would order a ‘20 but it’s too painful to have to wait. Chatted with FCA yesterday and they don’t have any projected availability dates (or won’t say). Having the dealership install dual battery system and onboard air.

1st accessory will be White Knuckle rock sliders.
    2nd will probably be 35s. I may eventually go with 37s but don’t want the hassle and expense of re-gearing both diffs (yet). Even with the 35s I will want to reprogram the computer accordingly. I’ve heard that the Tazer device is the best for this. I can’t find any information on the specific one that I would need. Anyone here have any information on this?
    3rd will be a large package of Nuthouse Industries stuff to include: coiling tonneau cover, equipment rack with light package, spare tire carrier, and bed slide. Going with Nuthouse because their stuff is compatible with Rambox.

Definitely more stuff not listed here (like a RTT, lights, sPod) but haven’t decided which ones yet.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Trailmaker likes this.
  2. Nick@GotExhaust

[email protected] Senior Member Preferred Vendor

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Trailmaker likes this.
  3. michael harpe

michael harpe U.S. Army 2001-2014 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    Why would you need to regear for 37" the power wagon comes with 4.10's and a 392 hemi. Lots of people run 35 and 37 without needing to regear. I'll be running 37 next month once the wheels and tires get here. I'll have to get the alpha obd as well to recalibrate but that's only a 2 day wait on amazon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Trailmaker likes this.
  4. SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    Well, I’ll defer to those with more knowledge, but I’ve read here and elsewhere that it’s a good idea to regear to at least 4.88 or optimally to 5.13 with 37s. I’m concerned about when I’m towing my 5500#GVWR travel trailer and I’d like to conserve at least some of my mpg. Obviously, I need to do more research.

Another question I have is about fitment of 37s, etc. without other modifications.

5. michael harpe

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    37 won't fit without a lift. Most run thuren or carli. I have a 4.5" rough country. Personal opinions aside, I'm not going to be doing any prerunner bajan desert racing in an 8500 pound truck so I'm not worried about breaking something, and if something breaks it breaks. This being due to one individual telling me that rough country wasn't that good.

As for gearing according to 4x4offroads.com what you said is correct for maintaining close to factory fuel economy. However, since we have 33" tires from factory, moving to to 37 would increase cruising rpm to roughly 2426 rpm vs 2000 rpm stock. Personally for a truck that gets 13mpg hand calculated highway and 14-15mpg computer display, I dont think it will drop that much. However, when I get them installed I'll monitor and try to remember to report my findings here.

In a novice opinion, I always thought the lower gearing was needed cause the larger tires would put a strain on the engine if it wasn't a big enough one. (I.e. a 4 banger jeep). I have since been educated as of this writing when I looked it up lol.

I look at it this way, since I bought a 60,000 plus truck, I should be able to afford the shitty gas mileage and maintenance costs. I did buy the 4 oil change package for 250 since a regular single oil change is 100 bucks at the dealer.

I've got an ex that works parts for a dodge dealer and she even said the dealerships lose money on those packages. That's how good of a deal it is for us customers. [​IMG]
    Before lift kit
    [​IMG]
    After lift kit

jagu366, Mustangmike66 and Trailmaker like this.
  6. Derek Powers

Derek Powers Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    You don't need to regear with 35's and pulling your camper. Possibly with 37's but going to a 5.13 is a big step

7. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    If I had the extra cash to blow, I would regear even with the stock tires. I couldnt stand it with stock tires/gearing, and now with 35’s its just that much worse.

8. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Yes they will. Depending on your tire and wheel combo, you may get more rub with your lift than someone else with no lift and the correct offset wheels.

So much of it has to do with proper wheel choice.

9. michael harpe

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    I should have said without possible trimming and rubbing. Apologizes. Thanks for the correction :)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

olyelr likes this.
  10. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Yea. Our fenders and suspension were almost made for 37’s. Minor trimming at the plastic fender liner may be needed depending on tire and wheel package. Stock wheels will get slight rub on the sway bar with 37’s, but that causes no issues.

AkMOPOWR likes this.