Overdrive on or off when pulling weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If while towing you drop in and out of OD - turn it off.

If it doesn't drop out leave it on.

Simple.

This. Don't go through town or up hills with it on. Constant in and out of OD can weaken the clutches and that's the Achilles heel of the RFE.

Ok. Does pulling with it OFF make the transmission run cooler?

No, because you aren't in lockup, so in addition to the heat created from towing there will be more from slippage.

His truck is a 02. Suspect that is a 55RFE. Fully agree, always use tow mode OD off. Our 03 5.7 towed for years. Following the owners manual tow instructions, never had a problem. You DO NOT want to tow in OD.

45RFE on the 02 4.7 (unless the TCM mod has been performed)

When you press the button on the end of the gear ****,,,,on my 03. Press once reads OD Off. Press twice it reads tow.

Only when equipped with factory tow package

Hmmm, what's the difference in OD Off and Tow?? But when I push mine again it just turns the OD back on. Unless you have to push it twice real fast or something...

Don't have factory tow package

Is there a aftermarket Trans temp gauge I can install to physically monitor the temps or is there such a thing?

Lots of options here

Do you have a transmission cooler?

ALL 3rd gen Rams (with automatics) have external transmission coolers, they come in three different sizes, basically 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. Completely interchangeable. I switched to the 1 ton years ago.

there's usually a heat exchange in the radiator dedicated to the trans fluid. you can route the trans fluid to a cooler, and bypass the radiator altogether so it is only running through the cooler you install. you should be able to trace the hard lines and figure out the routing

3rd gen Rams do not have a trans cooler built in to the radiator. It's external in front of the rad along with the PS cooler.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
im willing to bet you could get a bluetooth obd2 sensor, and download torque if you have an android device and monitor your trans temps that way. I used to have a 2001 dodge ram van 2500, would monitor trans temps constantly. it was our band's van, we toured all over the US in it, towing a 5x10 everywhere loaded to the brim.

you DON'T want to tow without pressing that OD Off button. I know there is a little bit of conjecture in this thread, but i can tell ya it's not great if you constantly allow the trans to enter overdrive and come out all the time. that generates a TON of heat, and too much heat is the enemy of any transmission. remember this: engines like to be hot, transmissions like to be cool.

i bought a 1995 b2500 ram van before we had our 2001, and immediately had to rebuild the transmission due to the TC taking a dump.

paid $2500 for the van, $1900 for the trans rebuild. Transmission ended up dying on us in Springfield MO because some of the other guys didn't like to pay attention to OD/trans temps. We left it in Springfield.

If you have to question whether you should be in OD or not, it's best to just leave it off every time. Check the fluid in the trans, and change it if it smells burnt. The fluid broke down too much if so, and won't be properly lubricating the valve body like it should.

here's a pic of the 01, the church special haha i-fZXMChH-X3.jpg
Looks like my son's band van! They got themselves a 2015 Ram 3/4 Ton with 18k miles on it. They drag around a 12' trailer that could not possibly hold another thing too. Small world.

OP
OP
Bigpoppa99

Bigpoppa99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now for this Bluetooth OBD tool somebody spoke of earlier. I got to looking them up and they are not that expensive. I found a Konnwei brand. But does these things provide the transmission temps?? I see in the pictures where it reads out the coolant temps, rpm, speed etc, but I just want to make sure it would read out my trans temp.

Also, are these safe to stay plugged in all the time?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Th PID is there, just have to make sure your app will read it. I used an Aeroforce Interceptor

IMAG3358.jpg

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like my son's band van! They got themselves a 2015 Ram 3/4 Ton with 18k miles on it. They drag around a 12' trailer that could not possibly hold another thing too. Small world.

very cool! what band is your son in?

our's had 62k when we got it, and we had about 130k ish when we finally stopped touring. those miles rack up quick

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Th PID is there, just have to make sure your app will read it. I used an Aeroforce Interceptor

View attachment 130184
Recognize that this off the OD thread subject. But would like to install gauges on a pillar like Hemi has done. 2018 2500 SLT. Oil pressure, oil temp and trans temp. Suggestion/recommendation?

RogerK61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everybody I'm new to this page I just joined I just bought an 08 2500 5 7 I was wondering the same

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Recognize that this off the OD thread subject. But would like to install gauges on a pillar like Hemi has done. 2018 2500 SLT. Oil pressure, oil temp and trans temp. Suggestion/recommendation?

Hello everybody I'm new to this page I just joined I just bought an 08 2500 5 7 I was wondering the same

You guys will need to find a gauge pod A pillar. It isn't a factory piece for 09 or newer, but for the 08 you can use the same one, just look for the factory piece from an 06 Ram SRT-10; the color is slightly different and will look right vs one that matches an 02-05. Aeroforce makes a gauge like the one I have compatible with CAN bus vehicles. You could also use the torque app on a smart phone or android head unit. If you have a Diablo Trinity you can set it up like an auxiliary gauge pod. As long as the PID can be read at the OBD port you're good. I use mine mainly for digital speedo, engine temp, trans temp and voltage; ironically oil pressure isn't a readable PID on mine lol.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
You guys will need to find a gauge pod A pillar. It isn't a factory piece for 09 or newer, but for the 08 you can use the same one, just look for the factory piece from an 06 Ram SRT-10; the color is slightly different and will look right vs one that matches an 02-05. Aeroforce makes a gauge like the one I have compatible with CAN bus vehicles. You could also use the torque app on a smart phone or android head unit. If you have a Diablo Trinity you can set it up like an auxiliary gauge pod. As long as the PID can be read at the OBD port you're good. I use mine mainly for digital speedo, engine temp, trans temp and voltage; ironically oil pressure isn't a readable PID on mine lol.
Thank you great onfo

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Just want add one more thing to already long thread. When towing in over drive and the truck downs shifts to maintain speed on hills the transmission will be in third but it will be in convertor drive and in some cases stays in convertor for long periods of time. This dramatically increases your transmission temperature. When you turn the overdrive off the transmission converter will immediately go in to lock up- so the convertor is no longer building that heat. You can see the rpm drop approx. 400 rpm when the transmission is in third and in convertor and then you turn off the overdrive switch- 2002 quad cab 4x4 5.9 magnum engine.

OP
OP
Bigpoppa99

Bigpoppa99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good info guys. A friend gave me his Bluetooth OBDII reader. I got the Torque Lite app and it's a neat gadget and gives my coolant temp but not my trans temp. Wish there was one that told it without actually installing a gauge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm, what's the difference in OD Off and Tow?? But when I push mine again it just turns the OD back on. Unless you have to push it twice real fast or something...
Your truck, being an 02, may not have anything but the OD OFF option, which locks out 4th and 5th, putting you in 3rd (1:1) on the highway. My 04 Dakota with the 545RFE is set up with only the OD OFF option, which locks out both 4th & 5th.
My 07 also has the 545RFE, and if you push the button once you get TOW/HAUL and a light on the dash saying that; this locks out 5th and causes the tranny to hold lower gears longer and firms up the shifts. Pushing the button again gives you OD OFF and displays that on the dash. To repeat, that limits you to 3rd gear.

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the 1:1 ratio?
On the 45re and/or the 545rfe the 3rd gear has a ratio of 1:1 wich means that for every engine revolution, the output and Driving shaft at the end of the transmission will turn the exact same number of turns once the torque converter is in "lockup''. When the O/D is on and the trans shifts in 4th and/or 5ft gear, the amount of révolutions cranked by the engine will be less than the Driving shaft. Personnally since my 5ft Wheel camper weights 7k lbs I just automatically switch the O/D off right from the start and drive it in third gear.

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
His truck is a 02. Suspect that is a 55RFE. Fully agree, always use tow mode OD off. Our 03 5.7 towed for years. Following the owners manual tow instructions, never had a problem. You DO NOT want to tow in OD.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I judge it by weight. How comfortable the truck is pulling something, You know if it "doesn't like it". IE: downshifts alot. I have a very light but big surface area camper. Taking off, my truck doesn't know its back there. Once I get up to 60-65, in 8th gear, it does. So i put it down in 7th manually. Works great. Tow/haul i believe is also weight related, not only does it hold you in each gear longer for using more of the power curve of the engine, but also downshifts for breaking neither i need for a 1200lb camper. Kinda still feels weird like im driving the truck without a trailer. Also while pulling i've never seen my trans temps go above what they usually are.

Now for my work truck, 15 F250. I oftern pull a trailer with a pump and water/tank reservoir. I estimate this to be between 3600-4200 lbs at times. The truck knows its back there. Tow/haul definitely. Only if im on flat ground over 65 do i use top gear, (6th). Otherwise i lock it out.

Lonnnggg ago my dad had an old 83 S-10 with the 4 spd auto. Transmission went out, once maybe twice. Dad asked why do you think. Man said they are a good transmission, just overworked. How? Dad said, i never pull trailers, (and believer me when i say my dad drives like a grandmother.) Tranny man told him, that weak ass 2.8 v-6, overshifts the **** out of it.

I think of it this way, say a manual transmission, I know about torque converters, anyway. Pulling weight, Engine is going to struggle in high gear. You drop a gear, like magic everything is instantly better. Now with an automatic. Engine isn't under quite as much stress as the load is taken off of it by the torque converter. Its now the step child getting the lashing. If you drop a gear, your doing everything in front of it a favor, including the torque converter. Even if the torque converter stays unlocked, not sure if it does or not, There will be tons of strain taken off of it because your not in high gear. Think of it this way, do you think the torque converter is under a lot of strain flat ground in 1st gear doing say 10mph constantly. Of course not. Every gear you add is a little more strain and drag. So every one you take away is great for the poor animal. And yea monitor temps. I believe two work trucks ago is the only time i noticed temps move a little up, Pulling probably 3200 lbs but the surface area was big, like a camper, didn't notice a ton of shifting, but the temps would rise a little. Dropped a gear, temps came back down. Every situation is different, Weight isn't ALWAYS the factor but frontal surface area. Just be mindful if you think the truck is struggling.

I realize OP may have OD switch, but not tow/haul. Personally I don't know the size of camper but i'm assuming its a decent size, probably pull with OD off.

One more, Looonnnnng ago, was pulling i believe a big trailer but empty i believe, flat bed type, nothing you would think would be a problem, (long ago so bear with me). Any way i either smelled something or it wanted to slip, something made me pull over. It had gotten so hot, fluid blew the dipstick out. The fix to get back to the shop? Make sure fluid level was good, turned off OD, got back without issue. Was there something wrong with that tranny, most likely, but turning the OD off, helped it not to overheat.

This has served me well.

Last edited:

kbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok. Does pulling with it OFF make the transmission run cooler?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 2 things here that you're asking in one question. First, it runs cooler with O/D Off because you're in a lower gear and the engine isn't working as hard, but most importantly, when you hit the O/D Off button, your torque converter will lock up and you won't have slippage in your trans, which creates trans heat and ruins clutch packs. This is what I've been told and am simply sharing with you. If there's an expert out there with better info, I'm all ears. Never too old to learn.