P0016 code - have replaced sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MO_Scout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s a 2007 1500 4door 4wd with a 5.7 Hemi and nearly 160k miles. Had some grinding with going easy on the gas at 35-40, then when I hit 60 the check engine light came on and I lost acceleration. Restarted the engine, and it drove fine to get the code run. It pulled a P0016, so I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, reset the ECM and fired it back up. Check engine came on again and I am having the same problems. Then driving the hills on some backroads, I had it to the floor and couldn’t get over 30. Currently, at 60 I’m running about 3k rpm. I’ll slow from 65-55 in about 2 secs if I let off the gas, then it hesitated to accelerate, but it seems to drive normal at 45 or below. Any ideas?

Edit: forgot to mention that 4 wheel won’t engage and hasn’t been since before this issue, and my ABS light comes on intermittently. Not sure if those are related, but thought I’d mention it.

Last edited:

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
If you are having the same code it could be the wiring, Check connectors for tightness and harness for bare wires, bare wires are where the harness crosses over or is against another surface. Good luck

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked any of the following?

- Timing chain could be stretched
- Misalignment of timing chain
- Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
- Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
- Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
- Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged

Just some ideas, most are pretty involved but your issue sounds like you may be needing to go that far.

As far as the ABS thing goes, your module is right behind the battery. It could be corrosion on the connector caused by a leaking battery or gases released when overcharged.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0016

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk