P0302 and 8 spd can’t find a gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since I owned this PW, just under a year ago., sometimes the gear gets lost when I put my foot into it. Friday it was so bad, almost got killed on the highway trying to pass. Saturday it began to toss P0302 codes with an pretty engine light. Buddy sent me a video concerning older 3/4 ton Rams with the same issue I was having, . Something about a throttle tensioner not being set right. Does the 2019 have this tensioner?

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
P0302 is a Cylinder 2 misfire detected code. Then you got transmission artifacts. That may all be related to the PCM ?

I know it's quite basic but did you reset the truck? ( unplugging the battery for at least 30 minutes )
This got me out of limp mode while playing with AlfaOBD2.

A couple of times, the PW would not let me accelerate on highway going over 80 mph driving aggressively. Turns out it was tow/haul keeping me in line.

On my 2017 Ram 1500, I got a defective speed sensor in one of the rear wheels which messed up some reading ( 4x4 not engaging, etc. )

That truck is way too clean. You must got some ArmorAll in the tranny...

Keep us posted!

:Sumo:

OP
OP
powerwagondoncare
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well it's been a week now, ram tech till trying to figure it out. in this ****** 1500 express trying to get work done... how do peopledrive these little things.... and gas is still just as bad as the PDub.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it's been a week now, ram tech till trying to figure it out. in this ****** 1500 express trying to get work done... how do peopledrive these little things.... and gas is still just as bad as the PDub.

Whats the prob? My half ton work truck with the hemi gets 18-20 mpg, the power wagons never seen north of 13.5. And the 8 speed is a dream come true compared to the sixer.

OP
OP
powerwagondoncare
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So dealer found metal in the transmission and waiting on fiat to approve the warranty repair. and they said the engine codes went away after flashing newer firmware

Jesse Lackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
The ZF trans has a lot of magnets built into the pan to catch metal. I think that's why the filter is built into the pan too, you don't just change the filter, you change the whole pan and then get new magnets.

I've recently seen some thinking that it's advisable to change the oils early, like as soon as break in is over, so you get that break in metal out. I know from breaking engines in on my engine dyno that most of the break in metal sheds early. I run a filter magnet and cut open the filters so we can see that happening over the course of a dyno session.

I put magnets on the filter of our new PW, and on the front and rear diff covers. I do plan to change fluids early, at the latest probably 5k miles.

Here's the magnets I bought, they could have more curvature for the small diameter engine oil filter, but fit really good on the diff covers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Neodymium-Arc-Motor-Magnets-Super-Strong-Rare-Earth-N45EH/173825375755?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm going to install an amsoil dual remote filter setup on the PW, and run a magnet on the full flow filter. I've used Frantz by pass filters in the past, the amsoil bypass filter does the same thing in a spin on. https://www.amsoil.com/p/universal-dual-remote-bypass-system-bmk23/

I'm not going to use the amsoil spin on adapter, I don't like the 90 fitting right off the adapter. I bought the https://www.improvedracing.com/universal-billet-remote-oil-filter-take-off-plate-bundle.html

I should start a build thread!