P0441

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JQ1904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all.
I keep getting error code P0441. I’ve changed the purge valve already. Any other ideas about the code? Thanks.

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4x4 V8 Gas
Engine
magnum 360
First off, did you clean the connector(s) and if you did read below... Also note, that if you didn't reset codes the error can take a few days of driving to disappear.

P0441 is described as a Purge Flow Monitor Failure, which is a bit difficult to diagnose in the field. Chances are very good, however, that your problem lies with the natural vacuum leak detector (NVLD), the actual device used for detecting evaporative system problems of this sort. It works like this...

Your fuel system is composed of two different systems... the liquid portion that you're familiar with and the vapor portion that's called the evaporative system. Leakage from the evaporative system is monitored by the use of this same NVLD device, a detector that is open to the evap system and its pressures.

The detector is composed of a diaphragm, a set of contact points and a solenoid. When testing the evaporative system, the solenoid is de-energized to allow the system to be sealed. At that point, the purge solenoid is opened to allow flow which draws vapor out of the evaporative system where it's burned in the engine. The act of drawing vapor will produce a drop in pressure, something the NVLD should notice easily as it closes its internal switch contacts... notifying the PCM (engine controller) that the purge system did, indeed, perform as was hoped.

The difficulty is in monitoring the NVLD without a scan tool (tough) and verifying that the evaporative system is leak-free without the special tools required to test for leaks that will amount to less than a pinhole throughout the entire evap system... which begins at the gas cap and ends at the engine. My experience with the P0441 is that it usually does not involve a system leak... but it's still possible. I'd look for just a few things at this point and then (probably) replace the NVLD.

Slide under the left side of the truck about even with the driver's door handle and look up. Above you will be the evaporative system's storage canister (often called a carbon or vapor canister) and the NVLD. Examine the odd-shaped hose that exits the top of the canister and connects to the black plastic thing-y with 3 wires (NVLD) for cracks. The NVLD will have this one large hose and another connected to it and is forward of the canister. This hose is a common source of evaporative system codes. If nothing is found, check this...

The wiring to the NVLD itself. It's fairly exposed on the DR model trucks and can be struck by road debris or pulled on by snow/ ice acculation. Breaks within the individual wiring of this pigtail harness do happen on occasion, sometimes without the wire visibly breaking in half.

Give each of the three wires a good tug to see if they will snap, indicating an already broken conductor within the insulation. These wires are pretty strong, so you can put a pretty good effort into it without fear of breaking anything. The break may be close to the NVLD or it might be farther up the harness within the black plastic convolute sleeve it disappears into. Expect all damage to be within about 18" of the connector end... if at all.

And if nothing is found... and you're OK with a gamble... replace the NVLD. It's not a difficult replacement and the new part would likely be half what your diagnostic charge at the dealer would be... around $60 if memory serves.

Clear your PCM memory after repair by doing a 30-second battery disconnect and you'll know within a few days if the repair was successful when the Monitor has run a couple times.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I assume since no response he fixed his. I'm in the same boat but I also go a PO456 (small leak). Problem is I can't find the freaking evac canister.... It's not in front of my fuel tank like everywhere I read. Any advise? My Ram is '15 5.7 but has 32 gallon tank, I'm guessing they put the canister elsewhere because the tank is longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found it.... On top of the tank aft end. It also leads to another canister that is below the gas cap.... Everything looks good. No dryrot electrical connectors are all good... I'm at a loss. d6ed96947d5e269450cfb5a7b9364632.jpg4100b4dae28beb7241a5eb8dc1465d30.jpg

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Found it.... On top of the tank aft end. It also leads to another canister that is below the gas cap.... Everything looks good. No dryrot electrical connectors are all good... I'm at a loss. d6ed96947d5e269450cfb5a7b9364632.jpg4100b4dae28beb7241a5eb8dc1465d30.jpg

Somethimes they have things like this mpounted on frame rails or under the hood, You are posting in second gen atm, but should post to the 4th gen forum. Sorry I couldnt be of more help, those guys in the 4th gen know alot though!

OP
OP
J

JQ1904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the detailed information. Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been sick.
I will look for it in the next day or so and post what I find. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota