Paint for Ram Side Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of black Ram Side steps on my 2016 Ram 1500. The steps are holding up well except for the area were by foot goes the paint has worn off. I have the driver's seat set are far back as it will go which means that when I step out of the truck my foot contacts the side step not on the grip pad. Has anybody tried to do a quick touch up on these factory side steps? The dealer looked at me like I was a nut when I asked to buy some touch up paint at the parts counter. I would rather have a perfect match paint so I could just touch up the worn areas rather than have to repaint the entire side steps. If you have touched them up were did you get the paint and do you have the paint code for it?

Ram side step.JPG

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that chrome showing through? If so theres not much that will permanently cover it. My chrome steps started peeling so I scrubbed them with a wire brush, painted them with bed liner. They started chipping within a month

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Is that chrome showing through? If so theres not much that will permanently cover it. My chrome steps started peeling so I scrubbed them with a wire brush, painted them with bed liner. They started chipping within a month
Did you use an etching primer before you sprayed the bed liner? ..what bedliner did you use ... I sprayed my chrome bumpers with raptor bedliner 2 years now and it's hold up ... if you didn't use an etching primer then of course it's going to peel

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use an etching primer before you sprayed the bed liner? ..what bedliner did you use ... I sprayed my chrome bumpers with raptor bedliner 2 years now and it's hold up ... if you didn't use an etching primer then of course it's going to peel
Nope. Never thought about it. I thought that scuffing it up pretty good with a wire brush on a hi speed drill would do the trick as the herculiner bedliner can said it wont come off once dry. Ugh.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Nope. Never thought about it. I thought that scuffing it up pretty good with a wire brush on a hi speed drill would do the trick as the herculiner bedliner can said it wont come off once dry. Ugh.
Yeah, because you are spraying metal especially on aluminum and chrome you have to use an etching primer ... try it again and you will be pleased with the outcome ... I love raptor bedliner ... I did my chrome bumpers, grille, bed and the fender flares.... not a single flake or chip on anything of it .... I think I am going to be doing the mirrors next and the bed rails too

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Probably a satin or semi gloss. If your going to do it I would do a 2k paint which would be UV resistant and coat in your choice of clear finish (Matt, semi or gloss).

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the truck. Any other paint you try will wear
off quickly.........
Another thought is get some black duct tape, and just keep applying it over the
step, it may make you feel better..... :cool:

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, you can always blend it down with 300 grit sandpaper, make it even throughout and just respray it with matte black paint...but you want to know what I would do? Aint nothing better to accent black paint.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Mopar/Ram does not make the side steps, ( Nerf Bars )
some private company makes them
just pick a etching primer & same brand black paint

Here is a TRED similar to yours, but it may not be the same

$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also spray some adhesion promoter on before you paint