Paint work issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
So I am finally picking up my truck tomorrow, been in the paint shop since 8th November.
Up side is I have been out and about in the loaner and kept miles off mine!
I REALLY hope this is all now finished with.
Hood, tailgate, front wings, all four doors and bed flatted, primed, base coat and three coats of lacquer, then wet sanded and polished.

I am really bricking it……..if it’s not right I have no further recourse now.
All under warranty.

Will post pics tomorrow. Watch this space!

Get a mobile detailer to ceramic coat it, nothing else just the ceramic coat application ...or you can buy it yourself and apply it very easy to do ....

I do mobile detailing and do all this work regularly ... wet sanding "will" remove clear coat and a lot of times it removes almost all of it .... it takes around 2 days of wet sanding, polishing and buffing to remove orange peel when I do it for my customers and I always recommend a ceramic coating to protect and replenish the clear coat that was removed when wet sanding and polishing/buffing ...

My truck has orange peel but I am not worried about it ... not worth the removal of all that clear coat to remove the orange peel at least for me ...

But hopefully they actually redid the paint job and clear coat and not just went down town with the wet sanding and not caring about how much of the clear coat the removed ...

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
No, this was a proper warranty job in the end. Defects were in base coat so I have been ‘dropping’ in regularly. They did, in fact, flatten, prime paint and clear coat. Wet sand was only on finished product to finalise it.
I haven’t as yet seen it finished up. I had already planned to have it coated……I do not have anyone here who ceramic coats. I would have to go to Duluth which is 60ish mls away. So if it needs two coats of ceramic with drying I would need to stay over.
I really want to do this myself, assuming the painter has done a proper job!
Thanks for the advise

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
No, this was a proper warranty job in the end. Defects were in base coat so I have been ‘dropping’ in regularly. They did, in fact, flatten, prime paint and clear coat. Wet sand was only on finished product to finalise it.
I haven’t as yet seen it finished up. I had already planned to have it coated……I do not have anyone here who ceramic coats. I would have to go to Duluth which is 60ish mls away. So if it needs two coats of ceramic with drying I would need to stay over.
I really want to do this myself, assuming the painter has done a proper job!
Thanks for the advise
That's good news ! ...

There are more than enough ceramic coatings that you can do yourself, don't let it intimidate you, I promise you that if you do tackle this yourself you are going to be like "is that it, oh man this is easy!" ..

Seriously, I know you can do it !

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Well I guess I will then! I see from you in other posts that the meguires ceramics seem to be user friendly to amateurs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Well I guess I will then! I see from you in other posts that the meguires ceramics seem to be user friendly to amateurs
No , don't use that kind of ceramic coating ... use an actual ceramic coating ... These are links to some of the ceramic coatings I have used and are very DIY friendly .... can't go wrong with any of these

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
One more thing, if you do the ceramic coating, make sure when you wash it you use a ph neutral car shampoo ... or find a good mobile detailer in your area and have that person do maintenance washes on your truck ... remember, ceramic coatings are not going to prevent scratches, you can still damage a ceramic coated vehicle ....

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put Adam's graphene ceramic coating on mine a little over 2 weeks ago. I looks amazing. Did my first maintenance wash tonight. It beads like crazy. It took way less time to wash because of the coating. Used a leaf blower to blow it dry after and done. Looks great and very quick to clean.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Cheech Dogg,
Thank you very very much!
This is so helpful. Clearly you know what you are on about so be assured i WILL follow your advise.

Regards,

Clive

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I put Adam's graphene ceramic coating on mine a little over 2 weeks ago. I looks amazing. Did my first maintenance wash tonight. It beads like crazy. It took way less time to wash because of the coating. Used a leaf blower to blow it dry after and done. Looks great and very quick to clean.

I personally "WILL NOT" use anything that has graphene in the name .... graphene still has not been out long enough to tell if it actually works or not, on top of that for most graphene coatings you have to use a topper to "reload" or to "re what ever" lol ....

The ceramic coatings I mentioned above are more than proven with some of them having more than 5 years on people's vehicles and they are still protected .... don't get me wrong, something like Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax can be applied to vehicles that have been ceramic coated with an H9 product, but you shouldn't have to do so ...

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally "WILL NOT" use anything that has graphene in the name .... graphene still has not been out long enough to tell if it actually works or not, on top of that for most graphene coatings you have to use a topper to "reload" or to "re what ever" lol ....

The ceramic coatings I mentioned above are more than proven with some of them having more than 5 years on people's vehicles and they are still protected .... don't get me wrong, something like Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax can be applied to vehicles that have been ceramic coated with an H9 product, but you shouldn't have to do so ...
I like Adam's products. I used their graphene ceramic spray a little over a year ago on one door. I was scared since I had never used any ceramic anything. It went on and off easily. It was still beading water like crazy when I polished the truck and applied the long term ceramic coating. Adam's says a year plus protection with the spray version which is what I got and it was still going. That was enough for me to try their longer coating...maybe it will last a few years, maybe not. Time will tell. For 62 bucks, if it only lasts a couple years I will try something else. All I know is I used meguiars ceramic spray coating that they say to apply each wash...I see why...it was dead every single wash while the Adam's graphene ceramic spray that I did on the one door was still going strong!!

dklozik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
My 2021 is bright white clear coat. Besides the obscene amount of orange peel, the right front fender flare was painted Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl. Just the one fender flare, sitting there out of place.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
dklozik, are you serious????? Wrong colour?
I have found out recently, body sprayed one place , doors sprayed else where wings/fenders elsewhere, all delivered and then assembled so not surprised I suppose…..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
All I know is I used meguiars ceramic spray coating that they say to apply each wash...I see why...it was dead every single wash while the Adam's graphene ceramic spray that I did on the one door was still going strong!!

I have pictures showing the beading of the meguiars hybrid ceramic wax and it's very good stuff believe me ... and you don't apply it each wash ... besides, that is not a true "h9 ceramic coating" it's just a spray wax that is very hydrophobic that's all ...a lot of people don't apply it correctly

JC_YYZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have pictures showing the beading of the meguiars hybrid ceramic wax and it's very good stuff believe me ... and you don't apply it each wash ... besides, that is not a true "h9 ceramic coating" it's just a spray wax that is very hydrophobic that's all ...a lot of people don't apply it correctly
Been reading this thread with interest and I want to hop in and ask a question: Picking up my 2022 Laramie (Diamond Black Crystal) this afternoon. We are officially into winter here in the Great White North, so I won't be able to get anything onto the truck until at least late-April, early May. Just a lot of trips to the local do-it-yourself Spray n' Wash to keep the salt down. Do you still recommend going with the ceramic product you posted earlier in the Amazon link?

I have never used ceramic product. I am a traditional 'apply the wax with an orbital polisher' kind of guy. I typically do two applications a year (early and late) and my 2019 Rebel has held up relatively well. Is jumping to ceramic a big learning curve? Can I do more damage than good?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just did this to the wifes new jeep. I told them to leave it alone. Dont prep it. I came straight home and gave it a good foam cannon bath, pulled it into garage and did a once over polish and then applied Adams ceramic. Dont be scared of ceramic, just make sure before you apply it that all of the swirls or imperfections are right. You would hate to apply it and then see the swirls and what not later. Ceramic is super easy to apply. 2 minutes usually per panel so you can easily knock out a vehicle in an hour or so. I would also suggest doing your trim, wheels, and glass as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.24.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.24.48 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I used...sounds like the same thing. As far as I'm concerned...junk. lasted one wash. I applied it according to the instructions on the bottle. It seemed to bead fine if you just used water, once you used soap it was gone. Then rinse with water after the soap and zero beading and slow to sheet off. Like I said, I used Adam's graphene ceramic spray coating on driver side rear door and the meguiars everywhere else. Meguiars was gone on the first wash and the Adam's was there for a year and still beading great. If it works for you great!!! Didn't for me!!

Attachments

• 20211203_123055.jpg
    20211203_123055.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211203_123102.jpg
    20211203_123102.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what I used...sounds like the same thing. As far as I'm concerned...junk. lasted one wash. I applied it according to the instructions on the bottle. It seemed to bead fine if you just used water, once you used soap it was gone. Then rinse with water after the soap and zero beading and slow to sheet off. Like I said, I used Adam's graphene ceramic spray coating on driver side rear door and the meguiars everywhere else. Meguiars was gone on the first wash and the Adam's was there for a year and still beading great. If it works for you great!!! Didn't for me!!
I watched a video on them testing it. It was middle of the road at best. Good for a budget, but when you think of ceramic coating you picture watching it run off the panels. I will never forget watching my wifes Pacifica in the garage after it had been in the rain. We were out there watching the water run off. Next day it looked like it had never seen rain. I was sold after that. I wont use anything else.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I watched a video on them testing it. It was middle of the road at best. Good for a budget, but when you think of ceramic coating you picture watching it run off the panels. I will never forget watching my wifes Pacifica in the garage after it had been in the rain. We were out there watching the water run off. Next day it looked like it had never seen rain. I was sold after that. I wont use anything else.
Agreed. I just wish our weather here would have stayed good enough for me to get something on my wife's durango

Diesel_Addict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a temperature range for applying ceramic coatings? Hence, is it bad to apply when it is 30 degrees out, in a garage?