Park Assist - Truck stops moving?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
So I have two trucks. 2017 Ram V6 gas, and this summer, bought a 2018 Eco Diesel.

The Eco has a stupid feature I think called park assist where if my stupid driver door is open the slightest, my truck aint moving ANYWHERE. This is so unsafe for many reason. 1, I drive on the lake in winter, and keep my door slightly open IN CASE I fall through the ice, at least I can try and jump out before the truck takes me down, and 2, I drive a lot of bush trails, for my job and I need to watch my edge while I back out of a customer's driveway in reverse. If I can't do this with my door slightly open, it's very inefficient. Also, there's the trailer.. yeah, arguments over using my mirrors and back up camera, well folks, I have a contractor's cap on BOTH trucks, and the tailgate/backup cams are no longer in use.

So here's my issue. My 17 ram has a few recalls, one of which is upgrading the software to ENABLE this awful feature. I refuse to bring it in yet they insist.

What the hell can I do here? I own the trucks, I should have the right to refuse AND have these features turned off should I not??

Does anybody out there have any input on the matter or am I stuck with these hunks of crap and should invest in a "for sale" sign?

Thanks.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you should put the for sale signs out and buy something used, old school. It sounds like new trucks with new features don't fit your intended use. Most people who buy these trucks don't have to worry about jumping out while moving to keep from drowning as their truck sinks in a frozen lake.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the "For Sale" sign!!!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You dont have to bring it in, but if you have to go in for warranty service they'll probably update it. Blame the idiots who got out of their trucks while still in drive and hurt themselves or others and sued fca. Wonder if anybody has wired in a switch to disable it by making it think the door is closed?

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can bypass the auto park feature by locking the seat belt behind you. My dealer is allegedly allowing me to decline that install when I see him this Saturday. Update to come.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Seriously though. I drive on lakes all the time and would consider a door ajar more dangerous than the millisecond it takes me to grab the handle and open the door. This reminds me of people who complain about the seatbelt dinger because they undo their seatbelt when driving over bridges. If you are that unsure about the ice that either means you shouldn't be out there in the first place because it's unsafe, or because you don't entirely understand what is a safe layer of ice, and yes I am aware of slush pockets, air pockets, undercurrent eddy's, and pressure cracks. Trapping for many many years up here.

I can't speak for backing up, I know this pain when driving back country hunting roads up here. They are barely 1 lane wide or less, both fenders are plowing tag and jack, and backing up with the door slight ajar can help find your wheels to the track but I just wind down the window and lean out as needed now. Adapt and overcome, either you can hack the programming with a tuner or you can't, unforuntately complaining here won't change much since the situations you listed apply to a fraction of a percent of owners.

OP
OP
N

nickl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Two months ago, I ended up in a ditch since some ******* ran me off the road. When the tow truck driver started to pull me out, we kept in putting the truck in neutral but soon as we open the door it automatically went back in park. Finally after 3 or 4 attempts I ended up having to sit in the truck while he pulled me out.

Looks like this is something a lot of people are having big issues. Might be looking for a lawyer on this one.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Two months ago, I ended up in a ditch since some ******* ran me off the road. When the tow truck driver started to pull me out, we kept in putting the truck in neutral but soon as we open the door it automatically went back in park. Finally after 3 or 4 attempts I ended up having to sit in the truck while he pulled me out.

Looks like this is something a lot of people are having big issues. Might be looking for a lawyer on this one.
The owner’s manual tells you how to deal with that situation.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I feel your pain there, I had to tow my 2014 and couldn't get the thing in neutral for the life of me thanks to the electronic shift. If you have a look at the manual however there is an easy mechanical bypass that could save you alot of headaches down the road (snip from the 2019 manual attached). Ignore it saying you need a screwdriver, the doorkey or anything you can pry with will pop the cover off easy and release the handle. Warning though, it's like shifting into 4N, the truck can freely roll away without any resistance other than brake pedal pressure.

park release 2019.JPG

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wow. I can't possibly imagine what kind of relief you would get in getting a lawyer involved, other than just to feel like you "did" something. There's no way you can have better, or more, lawyers than FCA, and even if you did what on earth would be your relief? You haven't drowned, and you can always just park the truck and drive something else. Even if you sold it at a loss and bought one that let you jump out while moving, the most you could ever possibly be entitled to would be damages at the difference between what you paid and what you had to sell for.

No judge or jury would give you 5 cents for not being able to leap out of a moving vehicle because you're driving on a lake.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The owner’s manual tells you how to deal with that situation.

Very surprising the tow truck driver didn't know this, must not be very experienced towing newer vehicles.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

A lawyer, really.... if you would have looked in your owner manual it tells you step by step how to engage the Neutral Override for towing situations. They had to install the Auto Park because idiots weren't making sure their trucks were in park and then getting ran over by their own trucks after they jump out of them. Then if it didn't kill them, they try to sue and blame FCA for their own stupidity.