Parking brake cable questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like the sagging parking brake cable is relatively common on these trucks. I've had my truck for a few months now and made a point to check the cable before I bought the truck. I've probably used the parking brake more in the last 4 months that it had been used it's entire life. When I first got the truck the parking brake pedal only went down a little way before it got really stiff. It has slowly gotten easier and easier to push it almost to the floor...now I can see the damn cable hanging down below the frame of the truck. The parking brake still works but the cable looks terrible. Also, I've been getting a squeal from the back of the truck since I bought it. Seems like the squeal goes away after you get moving, but it is very rhythmic, like a high spot on the rotor or something. Could these be related? I checked the rear pads and rotors, both looked fine but I went ahead and lubed all the metal/metal contact points on the pads and the slide pins. That made almost no difference. Can the slack be taken up or do I need a new cable? I gave it a quick look and it looked like there were threads available on on the coupler below the driver's door. I guess I'll have to pull the rear rotors off to see what's going on in there.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck did the exact same thing. The lever for the parking brake that passes through the backing plate is most likely seized. Try tapping it with a hammer. As the lever moves, the slack in the cable will be taken up. They like to rust and not pivot like they should.

If you plan on pulling the rear rotors, you should probably have a parking brake shoe kit handy. The lining separated from the shoe on each side on mine.

Fun stuff...

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like it...maybe I'll have time to tear into it this weekend.

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update if anyone is interested: the parking brake mechanism was stuck on the driver's side. I was prepared to tear it all apart but noticed that the lever at the bottom of the drum (where the cable attaches at the wheel) was not fully released. I pried it back and the slack was taken up. I sprayed some penetrating oil inside the boot and cycled the parking brake a few times. It slowly started fully releasing. I jacked up the whole rear and applied the parking brakes and could not rotate either wheel when it was fully engaged. Also parked on an incline and set the brake with truck in neutral and it held fine. All squealing has stopped as well. Might be something to check if you have issues as well.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Crap. Just noticed this on my 2017 w/ 47K miles on it yesterday. I 'test cycle' the parking brake from time to time and tested it the other day when it was almost 50degF out. Must have happened then. Given there's a foot of snow out and it's like 20F, I'm not workin' on her today.

As a side note, this happened to a co-worker of mine on his 2016 Ram 1500 SLT a year or so ago. He had an extended warranty on it so the dealer replaced backing plates, P-brake mechanisms, etc... etc. To the tune of like $1500! Didn't cost him a dime other than what he paid for the warranty.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crap. Just noticed this on my 2017 w/ 47K miles on it yesterday. I 'test cycle' the parking brake from time to time and tested it the other day when it was almost 50degF out. Must have happened then. Given there's a foot of snow out and it's like 20F, I'm not workin' on her today.

As a side note, this happened to a co-worker of mine on his 2016 Ram 1500 SLT a year or so ago. He had an extended warranty on it so the dealer replaced backing plates, P-brake mechanisms, etc... etc. To the tune of like $1500! Didn't cost him a dime other than what he paid for the warranty.

Is this more common on trucks that don't use the parking brake regularly? I've never had an issue through the past 5-6 winters with the 3 rams I have had, but they all (parking brakes) got used daily/regularly.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Joe, I would think so, because the root cause is the mechanisms through each rear backing plate seizing up.

I probably think to exercise my parking brake once a month or less. That's not enough.

I think the key is to use it once a week or more especially if you live in the rust belt.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Joe, I would think so, because the root cause is the mechanisms through each rear backing plate seizing up.

I probably think to exercise my parking brake once a month or less. That's not enough.

I think the key is to use it once a week or more especially if you live in the rust belt.

Good to know, thanks for the explanation on the root cause, and living in the rust belt as well I will definitely continue this practice. What got me doing it in the first place is our driveway, that slopes downhill and I park at the top at. Always made me nervous when it was icy and I had heard stories of cars sliding away on people, so I got in the habit of using the parking brake every time to give an extra fail safe (and sometimes leaving it in 4wd).

Started doing it with my 66 buick as well, cause that parking brake actually saved potentially my life one time. When I was 17 I lost the brakes in it (single master cylinder) going down a road called "twist run road", downhill and about halfway down. Downshifted into low and started applying the parking brake slowly, and the thing got it stopped by the bottom of the hill...which is a "T" intersection that I would have slammed into a guard rail head on, had the parking brake not stopped it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Given it's like 35F and sunny today, I got my Ram into my garage and freed up the P-brake linkages as best I could from the outside with some spray lube and a pry bar. The driver's side is easier to get at given it's below the axle. The passenger side is above the axle tube.

I probably contaminated the crap out of my parking brake shoes given I shoved the spay lube straw into the rubber boot around the linkage to help free things up. They're moving a lot better, but still not right. Once you get the levers pushed and moving to the back, the slack is fully taken up on the P-brake cable.

What a schidt design. 3 rust belt winters is all it took and my truck has been treated with krown and I sprayed the hell out of it with Woolwax and fluid film this past fall.

If you live in the rust belt and don't use your parking brake pretty much daily, year round. This is going to happen to you.

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, this is the first truck I've ever had an issue with. From early spring to early fall my parking brake is used regularly. I use it a little less in the winter since I dont fish as much. I've kept an eye on it since freeing it up and have noticed no change so hopefully it will be ok for a while. My guess is if we had a rough winter instead of mild it would have seized again quickly.