PAYLOAD CAPACITY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope this is a simple question. The truck payload capacity is located on the door post of most trucks. Does this door post rating apply to the truck as ordered by dealer or customer? Assume nothing was added to the truck after ordering. If ordered with lots of options added to the truck would that be reflected in the door post rating?

So I guess this is a twofold question. If I order a let’s say a Ram 2500 with numerous heavy options how am I going to know what the payload capacity of the truck is going to be? That is prior to it arriving at the dealer.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes the door sticker reflects your individual truck's payload. The more equipment you order the lower the door sticker will show.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Find a similar truck and see what the payload is on it. That will get you close. My payload is 2973lbs but I have the off-road package with skid plates, etc. I also added a tonneau cover and tow mirrors so that will take a little away from the payload too. Mine has pretty much every option except leather, sunroof, and heated seats. I have the full console with 8.4 touch screen too. Many 2500 gassers are closer to 3200lbs payload. A Cummins will be closer to the 2200lb range but IIRC you stated you weren't interested in the Cummins?

And yes, the yellow sticker is your specific truck

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Find a similar truck and see what the payload is on it. That will get you close. My payload is 2973lbs but I have the off-road package with skid plates, etc. I also added a tonneau cover and tow mirrors so that will take a little away from the payload too. Mine has pretty much every option except leather, sunroof, and heated seats. I have the full console with 8.4 touch screen too. Many 2500 gassers are closer to 3200lbs payload. A Cummins will be closer to the 2200lb range but IIRC you stated you weren't interested in the Cummins?

And yes, the yellow sticker is your specific truck

You are correct. I have a 2021 Bighorn CC 2500, 6ft bed with the Cummins and payload is 2244 per the door sticker.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
A quick look at my local dealer...

2021 2500 Limited MegaCab 4x4 6'4" box Cummins = 1802 payload
2021 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 8' Box Hemi = 2778 payload
2021 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 6'4" Box Hemi = 3221 payload

This is using the VIN and comparing with "Look up my vehicle", as you can see, it is all over the place.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the vin look up is within a few pounds of the doorjamb number

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
the vin look up is within a few pounds of the doorjamb number

My truck is right on. I have been using that look up on RAMTRUCKS.com for years now when buying trucks. Makes it super easy.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The payload on the sticker does not account for any dealer installed options, need to subtract those like running boards, etc.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The payload on the sticker does not account for any dealer installed options, need to subtract those like running boards, etc.
yes, anything added after it rolls off the assembly line will subtract from that payload on the sticker. Best thing to do is get it weighed on a CAT scale to verify. I got mine weighed when it still had stock mirrors and no tonneau cover. With me and 1/2 tank of gas it weight 7240lbs (I weighed about 270 at the time).

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Mine was 8460 last week on the scale. 5100 on the front axle!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was 8460 last week on the scale. 5100 on the front axle!
I didn't get individual axle weights when I weighed mine. I went to a local steel mill I used to work at and weighed it there. It's just one big pad. We did scale my sons truck on a CAT scale with his camper attached. His truck is 100% identical to mine except the color. All the same options, etc. so his weight is the same as mine. His TT is a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK. Dry weight is about 6600lbs but he was about 8100lbs the day we weighed it. The truck was also about 8100lbs with me, him, and everything else in it. Add 1000lbs of tongue weight and the truck axles were 9100lbs.

Blaise_weigh_slip.png

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Dealer or after purchase installed options are not reflected in this number. You also have to account for any gear you keep in your truck - jumper cables, chains, etc..

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I will certainly agree with most of the above posts, the OP is looking for weight when ordering and the place to start is right at the VIN on RAMTRUCKS.com

This will let him know how close he is going to be - or as I showed nearly a 1500lb payload difference just from the VIN.

Or like suggested you could go "test drive" a truck, put in all your stuff, load up the trailer and see if it works on a CAT scale.

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will certainly agree with most of the above posts, the OP is looking for weight when ordering and the place to start is right at the VIN on RAMTRUCKS.com

This will let him know how close he is going to be - or as I showed nearly a 1500lb payload difference just from the VIN.

Or like suggested you could go "test drive" a truck, put in all your stuff, load up the trailer and see if it works on a CAT scale.

Ok maybe my question wasn’t worded properly. I’m ordering a new truck! Where is the vin number so I can lookup cargo capacity. Plain Jane truck or loaded with options what’s the cargo capacity? The truck cost $75,000 dollars what’s the cargo capacity? Get my point or am I missing something here.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
If ordered with lots of options added to the truck would that be reflected in the door post rating?

If you add more options to the truck, it will change the cargo capacity. Most higher trim level trucks have a lower cargo capacity than a lower trim truck. The dealer should provide you with a VIN if you ordered a truck from them. If you have the VIN, you can type that into the ramtrucks.com website.

Ram Towing Capacity | Towing & Payload Capacity Guide (ramtrucks.com)

Click on: Look Up My Vehicle and put in the VIN. It will give you the cargo capacity and towing capacity.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ok maybe my question wasn’t worded properly. I’m ordering a new truck! Where is the vin number so I can lookup cargo capacity. Plain Jane truck or loaded with options what’s the cargo capacity? The truck cost $75,000 dollars what’s the cargo capacity? Get my point or am I missing something here.
With out a VIN there is no way to get your payload.

You have one choice. Search a site like cargurus until you find a similar truck. Then use its VIN.

The charts are for a configuration. Hemi 4x4 crew long bed. And are of the tradesman trim.

The look up my truck is based on the same. Except they have done a little bit to adjust it to the proper trim.

Literally Every truck weighs something different.

A configuration can have as much as much as 1000lbs difference from one trim to the next.

The only way to get the accurate info is with a VIN...and the truck would also probably have to be built to uae the VIN decoder

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
List your options on here and see if someone has a similar one that you can get their numbers from. A gas 2500 (except Power Wagons) will have payloads ranging from about 2700-3300lbs roughly. Mine is 2973. Subtract extra weight for leather? Sunroof? Rambox? And that would give you roughly the lowest payload possible. My guess is that would be about 2700lbs-ish? A long bed mega cab might be closer to about 2300. A regular cab 4x4 Tradesman might be closer to about 3400? Just guessing on these numbers so don't write them in pen...lol

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year

Very easy question to answer... and forget all the mumbo jumbo. You do not get a VIN until way later in the process. You can only "estimate" and you actually did ask the correct question, the MFGs make it very hard to decipher and that is why we are here :)

Question #1 - do you reasonably know what capacity you need? Tow and Haul? If not or even if you do, do me a favor and do this,

"build your truck" on the RamTrucks site. NOTE all options you want, and go find that truck on a dealer lot, not physically, but online.

If you cannot find one that is close enough, post the specs here because I guarantee there is one somewhere in this country. And we can help.

Then take that VIN to the RAMTRUCKS.com "Look up my vehicle" and see if the tow/payload rating even comes close. That right there will tell you if you are in the right ball park or even in the right sport.
It is already built and has a "real" payload rating - forget added options outside the factory.

Post the results here of the truck at the dealer you find so we can compare... here is a example - a random dealer I pulled out of the webs...

2021 Ram 1500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4 5'7 BOX For Sale | Bel Air MD | Near Baltimore | VIN: 1C6SRFJT8MN668560 (joneschryslermaryland.com)

VIN = 1C6SRFJT8MN668560

Ram Towing Capacity | Towing & Payload Capacity Guide (ramtrucks.com) - click look up my vehicle

That truck is 1489/11389

For instance... My 2020 1500 Limited pretty much loaded has a rating of 1090 Payload and 10990 towing.

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I followed what FF said and others. I found a vin number on a dealer website 3C6UR5CJXMG543549. I put that in Rams vin check as instructed and came up with this

3235.49/17,235.49 Interesting to the hundreds in weight.

I emailed the dealer and await what they have to say. The numbers are from a 2021 Ram, 2500, WT, CC, short bed, 4x4 6.4 Hemi with a few other options. These are pretty good numbers I think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990