Perfect's Ram Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, it occurred to me that I have not created a build thread yet. Well start off with some background information and how I came to obtain the Ram.

I had been shopping around for quite a few months and had wanted a Rebel initially. After realizing that the Rebel is essentially the same as a Ram in many regards, I decided to get a base model Ram and modify it as I chose and liked to save some up front costs.

The truck is a 2017 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 HEMI with some basic options selected. My plan is to make it look similar to a Raptor / Rebel as far as looks and performance.

The plans:
1) Exhaust DONE
2) Rims DONE
3) Tires DONE
4) Headlights DONE
5) Lift Kit POSTPONED
6) Front bumper replaced with offroad one POSTPONED
7) Fender Flares DONE
8) Intake
9) Diablosport Tune (Debating, due to aftermarket AllSTate warranty....)

Plan 1-3 and 7 has been completed, and pictures will be uploaded this afternoon when I can get around to taking some. Plan 4 is in the works and will be a quad light retrofit.

Initially I put on a Flowmaster Outlaw muffler, but removed it do to being obnoxiously loud with a mind numbing drone at 1500rpm. This exhaust is for someone who simply wants to lose their hearing every time they drive.

I replaced the Flowmaster with a Magnaflow 16868 exhaust system that I got a steller deal on Amazon for. The kit was simple to install and the larger tips look fantastic. After looking the truck with this exhaust on and another truck with the factory tips, they look anemic. I had really wanted the Corsa, but the price difference seemed unreasonable for performance and sound. This has a louder than stock, but mellow, low growl. Minimal drone and tame when driving around.

I put rims on next. I found some Method NV rims in 17x8.5 with 0 offset. These look very sharp and weight a mere 25lbs. I got a MacGuard wheel lock kit to ensure that these stay on the truck. I wrapped them in some Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tires that I got a smoking deal on. They ended up not doing well in the winter and so they were replaced under the 45 day customer satisfaction guarantee that Cooper has. I have to say that they have top notch customer service and worked with the dealer to get me into tires that worked better, even if it was another brand.
They are now wrapped in some BF Goodrich KO2 285/70/17 with OWL, because I like the old school look.

After driving around with the tires sticking out, I loved the look but did not like how much dirt and rocks were being flung across the side of the truck and put some Bushwacker Pocket Flares on to complete plan 7. This was the biggest pain in the butt to do. It took over an hour to install all the nuts and almost 3 hours to get the rubber seal on correctly. Install was not terrible, but having to remove the HEMI badge was frustrating. I would gladly pay the dealership to put the OEM ones on and install it the next time around. For the price, it should come ready to install.

After seeing a post of the rear back up lights, I bought some FlashWolves LED for the 3rd brake light and back up lights. A huge difference. Well worth the $20 for this. Highly recommended.

This brings us up to current.

I have ordered a retrofit kit from TRS with the RAM logo in the lenses, should look sharp. I am debating color matching the housings vs black, I have not decided. I have done a few retrofits before and decided to go easy with the H1 7.0 kit.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
We need pictures.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a few on my flickr account I am working on posting. I plan to take some more this afternoon.

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I first got the truck. Drove a few hours to get it but the deal was fantastic. Ended up being a repo truck so the bank took the offer I made.
46001093291_197bb61f3d_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr
Stock tires and rims. Loved the stock rim look but the 17x7 was a limiting factor with the +27mm offset.
46001090571_caaef5aabd_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

Replaced stock SR-A tires with the Coopers.
45951591642_79f1104e00_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

Method NV wheels before mounting.
32130243188_9658417971_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

Mounted with the Cooper AT3 LTs.
31062066487_26b7eea226_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

Installed fender flares, and replaced the AT3s with KO2. I also tinted the windows to 35% in the front with factory 20% in the back. I added in a Coolstart remote start also, a must in Maine!
45089566525_d93688d301_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

KO2 tread pattern, a little aired down at 45psi. LT285/70/17 I need to add some more air.
45089566825_08d78fbf08_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

Wheel tends to attract the snow, causes some minor shake...not sure how to fix this issue. May ended up getting some winter tires and running the stock rims. The KO2s do okay, but not as great as I had hoped.
45089565405_abd9e44429_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

Exhaust photos to come....

Any specific photos you guys want, lemme know!

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'm surprised those tires don't perform well in winter conditions, goin off the reviews I've read that is. Looking good thus far!

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm surprised those tires don't perform well in winter conditions, goin off the reviews I've read that is. Looking good thus far!

There is a huge difference between Maine winters and winters in other states. The KO2s are way better than the Coopers. The Coopers froze up and slid. The KO2s seem to be doing better. They work well in snow, but not so much for ice and slush. They do well though for what they are.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
There is a huge difference between Maine winters and winters in other states. The KO2s are way better than the Coopers. The Coopers froze up and slid. The KO2s seem to be doing better. They work well in snow, but not so much for ice and slush. They do well though for what they are.
Ah yes, you guys get slammed up there. I'm down in north Jersey by the tri state area so we fare a bit better temp wise. Tho it was 5* this morning and my hankooks were garbage on dry pavement being so cold. 3 peak as well. Mark the coopers off of my list than, I'm thinking I might just get a set of snows and summers, the difference is huge for sure.

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Cooper AT3 4S are the ones to consider, they do well enough in the snow. I mainly did the BFG as they were in stock locally and I needed them ASAP.
Two sets is ideal. I had wanted to use only one set, but may be swayed after a storm or two. Only one storm under its belt and I want to get one or two more before deciding.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The Cooper AT3 4S are the ones to consider, they do well enough in the snow. I mainly did the BFG as they were in stock locally and I needed them ASAP.
Two sets is ideal. I had wanted to use only one set, but may be swayed after a storm or two. Only one storm under its belt and I want to get one or two more before deciding.
Right, there's so many out there to choose from now, and lots of broad spectrum applications. East coast is a tough climate, hot wet summers, cold and wet winters, varying degrees of maintenance.....sorry to hijack. Truck looks good!

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In case anyone wondered what the stock exhaust looked like off the truck.
31062069627_ea021faae7_z.jpgRam 1500 by Black Additive, on Flickr

31064621947_4044367f83_z.jpgUntitled by Black Additive, on Flickr
Tips are slightly uneven if you have OCD, otherwise...look at that booty!
31064621947_4044367f83_z.jpgUntitled by Black Additive, on Flickr
Drivers side
31064621097_2e3b9a484d_z.jpgUntitled by Black Additive, on Flickr
Passenger side and a shot of the undercab.....rusty. Blech!
32132831748_66a8c68dd8_z.jpgUntitled by Black Additive, on Flickr
bIgGer is better?
45279529324_9de4c321a0_z.jpgUntitled by Black Additive, on Flickr
SHot of the magnaflow muffler and a ton of snow....

32132831888_c4966654a8_z.jpgUntitled by Black Additive, on Flickr

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looks very sharp so far, for that look you’re going for will you be removing the side steps ?

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks very sharp so far, for that look you’re going for will you be removing the side steps ?
I am looking at replacing them with black ones at some point. I have been toying with the idea of simply painting them with some rubberized undercoating or plasti-dip or something. I will look into that after the truck is lifted and see what looks like.
For the moment, my focus is on the headlights. I am planning on getting a pair of the LED Hi beams to put in that location with the M11 7.0s. I plan to black the headlights out, on the inside and feel that that will "connect" the front a bit better as far as the fender flares goes.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I see where you are going as far as the lights and hope all works out well for you. :)

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the positive thoughts. Holiday seasons usually afford a lot of overtime, so I am hoping I can get the lift kit sooner rather than later.
Just need to decide if I want to go all out or just go budget....choices, choices.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How much lift you looking to go with. I ordered the full eibach pro kit. So keep yours eyes peeled as I'll do an install and overview once I get it. Seems to be good feedback so far from guys running the struts so fingers crossed, figure someone's gotta be the guinea pig

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much lift you looking to go with. I ordered the full eibach pro kit. So keep yours eyes peeled as I'll do an install and overview once I get it. Seems to be good feedback so far from guys running the struts so fingers crossed, figure someone's gotta be the guinea pig

I am actually considering this kit as one of my top choices. I cannot really decide if I want to go a suspension lift or just a simple level. The cost difference is substantial $5-700 for a kit and maybe 3-4 hours labor, or $1500-$2000 and 10-15 hours of labor....

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Well, keep your eyes peeled. Mine should be on the way and I'm gonna try and get some accurate measurements vs stock. Should give a good comparison since I'm running 285s as well. Ride is always subjective, but I'm pretty critical on my expectations of performance. Granted it's a budget minded kit, aimed towards a low to mid price point, but I spend LOTS of time commuting and running trashy roads and job sites along with play time when possible. I'll be the first to praise or critique it. It's definitely a step in the right direction from the spacer level, hopefully worth the time and money. I'd rather quality suspension performance at lower height than an aesthetic bracket lift on oem stuff. Won't be a huge visual change but fingers crossed it makes it ride moar better. Lol

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on the headlight build. After speaking with TRS, it seems that simply dropping in a bi-xenon projector kit would have eliminated the stock high-beam all together, or simply only had the HID low and factory hi-beam. To solve this an have a wicked high beam, I grabbed the profile LED high beam, and a couple high beam splitters to be able to use both HID and LED high beam. Should be enough juice to light up everything in my path. :)
I also grabbed some of the permaseal solvent to give that a try. I will update as soon as it arrives and I remove the permaseal.

OP
OP
PerfectCreature

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, keep your eyes peeled. Mine should be on the way and I'm gonna try and get some accurate measurements vs stock. Should give a good comparison since I'm running 285s as well. Ride is always subjective, but I'm pretty critical on my expectations of performance. Granted it's a budget minded kit, aimed towards a low to mid price point, but I spend LOTS of time commuting and running trashy roads and job sites along with play time when possible. I'll be the first to praise or critique it. It's definitely a step in the right direction from the spacer level, hopefully worth the time and money. I'd rather quality suspension performance at lower height than an aesthetic bracket lift on oem stuff. Won't be a huge visual change but fingers crossed it makes it ride moar better. Lol

I spoke with a local rep and they install rough country, was told about $2k for a 6 inch lift, installed and aligned. Looking pretty hard at your progress to see if I like the setup and amount of lift. I like $5-700 for the kit and $150-200 install a lot better.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Interested in your headlight project first off. Just curious are you concerned with snow or ice buildup on them since leds don't throw much heat? I know my halogens load up pretty good and it's annoying for me and I get no where near as much consistent snow as You? More light is definitely a huge plus tho. Especially on back roads with animals.

As for suspension, ive run so many on a myriad of rigs. I had a big lift on my last truck. It was cool, but totally useless for me. When I dropped it back down to a 3" with performance tuned and properly valved shocks I could never go back to a basic lift kit again. Even the 5100s are marginal compared, but still much better damping than these oem crap we have. These trucks do ride very well compared to the rest of the 1/2 ton market tho, so hopefully a better set of springs and shocks accentuates that a little. 35s are easy fit with proper wheels, granted may look a little stuffed but I like the low COG look. I mean that's why we lift em right, big honkin tires. Paired with a 1.5 BL and 37s would be pretty easy, and pretty budget minded still, with moderate practicality. There's a lot of buzz with this new kit so for the price I figure I'll give it a run, someone has to jump first. It fills a void on the rams that most guys are keen to. Honestly I saw the AEV lift in person, and 4" wasn't much more noticeable on 35s than a leveled rig on the same tires, so from a strictly visual stand point, I'd either run something like the eibach or go full on 6". Either a small lift/ body lift combo, or full bracketry kit. There's so many ways to get desired results.

These forums are terrible for my wallet, big lifts do look great, and tickle a part of me that wants to roll around like that again. But for what I need and want vs you may be completely different, so don't let me sway you, the look will be killer but performance may not vary much from oem. That is unless you plan to add some nice shocks later on, than you have the full package. All really based on wants and budget.