Pinion seal info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, need some help understanding something. My pinion seal and diff has some oil around it. So took to dealer to check. The person at service desk after it was looked at said the mechanic said it needs a new "rr pinion seal", I asked "what is rr?" They said "rear right". Didn't think the pinion seal has a left and right. Isn't it just one round seal?
I have a 2012 ram 1500
Anyone know? Is there a right and left seal?
Isn't it just one seal?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
pinion is on the pumpkin the axle seals are at the ends of the axles near the wheels. Only left and right in the pumpkin would be the carrier bearings.

OP
OP
B

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pinion is on the pumpkin the axle seals are at the ends of the axles near the wheels. Only left and right in the pumpkin would be the carrier bearings.

Yes...where the axle goes into the diff is wet. So it's leaking there...at least I assume it is since there is oil around it.
But why would mechanic say ""rr pinion seal"
Like I said person at desk said "right rear"
But there is no leak at the wheel.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
rr, or R/R, usually means Repair/Replace. So in this case, the tech was recommending that the pinion seal be replaced.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Find another service writer----sounds like the one you have needs to be promoted to sales or a management position. You can't cure stupid!!!!
Jay

OP
OP
B

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
rr, or R/R, usually means Repair/Replace. So in this case, the tech was recommending that the pinion seal be replaced.
Lol...repair/replace...that's what I was thinking. Person at desk said right rear...I was like ...WTF?

OP
OP
B

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find another service writer----sounds like the one you have needs to be promoted to sales or a management position. You can't cure stupid!!!!
Jay
Yes I wish...but only dealer near me.
That's why I turn here to confirm stuff. Lol
Thanks guys!