Please help. 2004 Ram Cummins overheat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004DRDye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
I have a 2004 Dodge ram with a Cummins had the radiator recently flushed and changed out the fan clutch and the serpentine belt. I just towed a three horse Goosenecktrailer 600 miles Without any problems. There have been no visible leaks anywhere underneath the truck. Yesterday, we bought a ton of hay and pulled at 50 miles home and all Went well. On our property in New Mexico we have a bunch of sand where We usually tow around the trail in the park the trailer and then drive off. So the sand was super soft and I got stuck in the process . trying to get out the truck overheated I overheated. I lowered the pressure in the tires unhitched the trailer and drove out no problem. But the truck was gurgling a lot from the radiator hose. I let it cool down parked on the incline Took off the radiator cap started it and turned on the heat trying to get the air bubbles out.That didn’t seem to work, what may I be missing? Heat and AC are working fine.

CharlesinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins 305 hp HO
I don't drive my truck alot, but after doing a complete system flush (previous owner had put green antifreeze in it) I found it took me months to purge all of the air out of it. Each time I drove it, I would let it cool and check it the next day and top the coolant bottle. This went on for months before the coolant level stabilized in the bottle.

In this post I detail my thermostat issue after the flush. What I got out of this is that the genuine Cummins thermostat is way better than anything else I can buy.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/06-dodge-3500-overheating.181338/post-2560649

Charles