please help with a couple question of this pic!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you see the leakage wet mark on that cube object? what is that part called and what do you think of leakage? every other square cube object is dry as well as the other side of the engine. im also getting a louder diesel ticking sound from this side as well. any info on this would be appreciated. thanks!

hemitrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That cube object you speak of is the coil pack. As far as the dampness looks like something was spilled there at one time. Its not wet enough to be a current leak. Are you able to look at the exhaust manifold and see if all of the studs are accounted for sound like maybe you got an exhaust leak at the manifold.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely looks like a bit of oil was spilled on your coil pack.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That cube object you speak of is the coil pack. As far as the dampness looks like something was spilled there at one time. Its not wet enough to be a current leak. Are you able to look at the exhaust manifold and see if all of the studs are accounted for sound like maybe you got an exhaust leak at the manifold.

so no liquid can come from the coil pack or travel through that right?

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well oil could shoot up through the sparkplug hole but you would have bigger problems lol clean tge engine and see if it comes back. Chances are somthing was just spilled or it was from break in and its now sealed.. I had some leaks around my heads but they look like tgey dried up once the gaskets got seated after break in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so no liquid can come from the coil pack or travel through that right?

Sure it could, coil packs are full! But it would lightly seep out around the edge.
This really looks like something was spilled. Best best, spray the area with simple green, lightly brush it, and hose it off. See if it re-appears!

As for the tick... When was the last time you changed your oil?
Are you using quality 5W20?

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They might have some electric grease in them to help prevent corrosion but I can't imagine they are full or even close to full. And I can't imagine that grease coming out unless they were taken apart.... I don't think there's any liquid in there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
you see the leakage wet mark on that cube object? what is that part called and what do you think of leakage? every other square cube object is dry as well as the other side of the engine. im also getting a louder diesel ticking sound from this side as well. any info on this would be appreciated. thanks!

Do what WE said, just use a degreaser and see if it appears.

As for ticking, Redline Oil fixed mine, red the synthetic oil thread for more info. There is better film strength in that oil, but you can also achieve this by using a thicker oil if your truck lets you, sometimes the MDS will give you fits if you go up to 5w30, but many guys get away with it. Worth a shot, wont hurt anything and if you get CEL's you can just go back to 5w20. Most guys (but not all) who run Redline quiet that tick down. We are forced to use thin oil so an oil that has better film strength and certain additives like Moly and higher Zinc allow for a relief from metal to metal wear.

Heavier weight oil also increases film strength. An example would be a 5w20 would give you a viscosity or 9, the same oil 5w30 would give you a visc 12, and 5w40 would be 15. It isn't that simple just using that for comparisons, but what is simple to understand is Dodge and now Ram have put us in a box by forcing us to use such a thin oil. The science is solid, group 5 oil will give you way better film strength at operating temps. However, is it enough to over come the metal to metal wear in your specific engine, you have to try it to find out. I would try group 5 oil first, either Redline or Motul and if that didn't work, try 5w30. You can disable your MDS to run 5w30 by either a programmer or tow haul button. People say the tick is normal, I disagree, it causes extreme wear and proven with my last oil analysis and the many I have read here. I would address it.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
my response was sarcastic. Coil packs are full of nothing lol. I was trying to get him to answer me as to what he thought they were full of.. I dont get it.. haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca