PLEASE HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11Ram150088

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I recently put heads on my 11 Ram 1500. 5.7L. (Did a motor swap because I blew the other one up) I had a spare one sitting in garage, I put factory cam and lifters in it (as they were bad) and had the heads redone and checked. Pulled the blown motor and put rebuilt one in. Everything went in smoothly for the most part. No issues. Put everything together and dropped it in.

I finally get ready to start filling with fluids to attempt to start the truck, and as I’m pouring antifreeze into the radiator, I hear a leak. I look under the truck and it’s leaking RIGHT where the head gasket meets the block. Completely without hesitation. Pouring.

My question is. Before I pull the coils and valve cover off and put another new head gasket on it, does anyone know what else could cause this? When I was dropping engine in, I had to pry with a pipe a little to make it line up right. I noticed when I was looking at that leak, where the head gasket comes out past the head, I pried against it and bent it. But that shouldn’t matter should it?

I’m hoping I just didn’t tighten the head bolts. (Been a rough month here) But I’m tearing into this thing in a few hours and would love some input.

I’m new here. This is my first forum ever at 30 years old . Anyway, thanks for your help!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I was dropping engine in, I had to pry with a pipe a little to make it line up right. I noticed when I was looking at that leak, where the head gasket comes out past the head, I pried against it and bent it
If the head was torqued down to spec, bending the edge of a gasket sticking out isn't going to hurt anything. The head is most likely going to have to come back off, grab a new set of head bolts if it does.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am willing to bet you put the head gaskets on the wrong side it matters on these it has a left and a right Left drivers side right pass side I did this once not paying attention and it will pour out between block and head if this turns out to be the case you will need 2 new gaskets and bolts.

OP
OP

11Ram150088

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok so. Popped valve cover. Checked torque of all bolts. The bolt at the corner where it was leaking wasn’t torquing and I ended up breaking it off in the block. Got a new gasket. Put head back on. That problem is solved.

BUT haha.

I needed to prime oil pump so I unplugged what I thought to be crank sensor so it wouldn’t start and just turn over. When I went to do my initial start, nothing happened. It didn’t crank at all.

Got underneath. I forgot to tighten starter wires. So I cleaned all the connections on starter. Tightened them and then cleaned battery connections.

I got in and turned the key, thinking it was just going to turn over and not start. But the truck instantly fired up. I mediator shut it off. And went back out. Plugged in the sensors I unplugged because obviously they didn’t do anything. And then pulled fuel fuse. Got back in truck and it wouldn’t turn over.

Replaced fuel fuse. And now for some reason I can’t get the truck to even turn over. At all. The starter was in bad shape so I’m replacing it tomorrow but I don’t think that’s my problem.

The door locks started locking and unlocking. I’m not sure what’s making it not turn over but it has to be simple.

Thanks again for your replies. Apologies for such a long post haha

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If you recorded the initial length of the head bolts,
and use a stretch gauge its a win win.

Last edited:

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check your battery connection, make sure they are good and tight. I had an F150 do that with the lock once after a rebuild and the battery connections were loose

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
check your battery connection, make sure they are good and tight. I had an F150 do that with the lock once after a rebuild and the battery connections were loose
Yes sounds like passive anti/theft .
you probably need to close everything up and unplug anything hooked up to the OBD port close all the windows wait a about three minutes, cycle the keyfob and then try to turn her over.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963