Plugs and Wires / Tuneup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hey guys... finally took the Dodge in to the dealer to have it looked over. Lots of small issues, figured get a pro to look and go from there.

Few things I plan to do myself. Trans fluid needs changed, already got the FRAM filter/gasket kit for that, few things not urgent... few I'll have them do.

Some of the issues I had, I thought may been all related, like a clogged catalytic, or bad coil packs but they couldn't replicate some of the issues. Mainly, when the engine is hot, or hot outside, car will start, run a second and quit unless I rev it a bit. Not stutter or anything just quits. Being cold out now, they couldn't replicate it. Also feels like dragging an anchor at low speeds, sometimes loud/rough idle.

Suggestion was swap the plugs since I already cleaned the throttle body.

Previous owner I'm certain said around Dec 2017, he swapped out the wires, coil packs and re-gapped the plugs... I don't think he said replaced. That said, he was a bit less than honest about a few things when I purchased the truck, and seeing some of the handy-work done, I just assume nothing was new/done.

So... was going to grab NGK plugs, and maybe new wires to start with.

NGK site narrowed down which plugs I need... I believe 0.045 gap stock. Do I need to adjust that being an older engine with high mileage? (340,000km / 211,000 miles).

Wires have me confused... figured all the same essentially but have 3 sets listed, not sure what I need. Anyone know?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7l Hemi Quad Cab (Canada)

5OZhIx3.png

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Get the msd wires I absolutely love them

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Looking at the ngk.

That said, got the quotes back from Dodge and wow! $1000cad for an oil pan, $440 to replace the sparkplugs, and a big list of other things.... Oy.

Oil pan threw me ... Though from watching YouTube I guess the engine needs lifted an inch or two to remove it?