Portable air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I looked on about 5 pages of this forum and dont see anything about portable air compressors. I'm looking for something to toss in the truck, will fill up 35inch e ratez tires. Looking at viair, but like to get people real life reviews. Also where do you keep it I dont have a ram box. Looking to go from 20 psi go 65 psi

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I dont have ram boxes, looking for something else or somewhere else to install

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep a 4 gallon husky compressor in the truck. I would really like to figure a permanant mount for it somewhere but i haven't tried that hard yet. I know it can be done though. it cost me $50. I think its over kill but i like having a larger compressor on-hand

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont have ram boxes, looking for something else or somewhere else to install

There is ample room on either side of the wheel well for a good size tank and compressor. Have you gotten under the truck to look for a discreet location? When I installed my Amp steps i remember seeing good locations

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Looks like there is plenty of room, problem is mounting it with full articulation, second is running power to it or just a tank. I'd prefer a compressor I think

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Look through Google. There are numerous other RAM forums where under vehicle mounting has been done.

I'm planning on going under passenger side bed just behind the cab when I do mine. There's actually a forum where the guy goes over how he did it and the template he used for drilling the holes. If I remember it's an ARB compressor he used. He then ran the compressor line into the bed near the tailgate. I'm gonna run mine straight back through the bumper next to the license plate. If you're worried about debri and stuff, I think he used a 50 Cal ammo can to mount the unit and made a custom 'O' ring to seal it from wet elements and you just open the can when in use so it gets airflow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like there is plenty of room, problem is mounting it with full articulation, second is running power to it or just a tank. I'd prefer a compressor I think

You are going to need power for any air application. I wouldn't let that be the deterant.

I like ARB except for the price. You can buy a really nice setup for the price of just their compressor. I am a tank guy.

With that said.... I see a lot of people mount them under the hood. I don't like that spot because of the heat cut off on the ARB compressor. I have seen them under the rear seat, in the foot well storage area, Ram box, in the bed etc.. i think if you go the ARB route or just a compressor of some brand your mounting location is limited by your imagination.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a VIAIR 440 RV. It's a solid little compressor and will take you to 65psi. I learned the hard way with a cheap Costco knockoff that look like a VIAIR. I was leaving elk camp and needed to get back to 65psi for towing. That cheapy barely got one tire to 65, and started blowing fuses on the second tire. The VIAIR will take a few minutes a tire, but will do the job.

I have a Weatherguard toolbox in bed where all my recovery gear, compressor, tools, fire extinguisher, and some camp chairs stay.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I keep a Viair 45043 under the back seat, not perm mounted.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Get one of the big Vaiar portable units. Easy. You won’t find a suitable compressor at the hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a Viair RV as well, nice kit.

I just mounted an airlift compressor under the spare tire for the airbags. The wireless remote is genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if you have the rambox, there is no better option

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

Dont Mind The portable Viar in the bag....ive had it for years, and you cant go wrong with that as a portable option.. i never liked having to hook it to the batteries every time i needed it

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I looked on about 5 pages of this forum and dont see anything about portable air compressors. I'm looking for something to toss in the truck, will fill up 35inch e ratez tires. Looking at viair, but like to get people real life reviews. Also where do you keep it I dont have a ram box. Looking to go from 20 psi go 65 psi

I am no help with a mounted Compressor ,But DO you really need a mounted one ? Do you off road and need that Heavy Duty use compressor ?
SLIME carries a good line of Portable Tire Inflator !
I have this one for my RAM and a cheaper one in my HHR >
https://www.slime.com/us/products/l...-auto-/pro-power-tire-inflator-heavy-duty.php

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i mounted a dual ARB near the air filter box. it took some reorganizing but so far its been great. there is surprisingly very few places to mount something like that in the engine bay. I also have a viair as a back when i'm in Baja but it take a while for 35s

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i mounted a dual ARB near the air filter box. it took some reorganizing but so far its been great. there is surprisingly very few places to mount something like that in the engine bay. I also have a viair as a back when i'm in Baja but it take a while for 35s
Any pictures? I like that idea just not sure what to use as a mount. Thought about buying a JK mount and modifying but....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956