POS electronic tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bermuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Earlier this week, i was checking out the current value of my, 2500,( just out of curiosity), and came across a factory recall for the auto tailgate. The problem was that it would open on it's own while driving, so obviously there is a real issue with it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Earlier this week, i was checking out the current value of my, 2500,( just out of curiosity), and came across a factory recall for the auto tailgate. The problem was that it would open on it's own while driving, so obviously there is a real issue with it.
That was for the 2015-2018 trucks, when it came out. Not know if issue now. The clip inside the gate locking mechanism's were worn, breaking, and the TSB to fix was a better clip.

OP
OP
B

blakeensing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem on mine, but MY 19 is an early 2018 build and a Bighorn, no fancy buttons on FOB or in Truck to release, just switch on gate itself. I have found though that you have to close the gate securely, not slam but close Firmly to get the tailgate ajar alarm to turn off. But I also have a full tonneau cover so of course have to open cover before open gate, though I doubt that means ne thing.

ADDED: I do not like not having a keyed access on tailgate, but as far as Security issue, it is a good idea. I also have a tailgate lock on the gate itself to prevent gate taking a walk, if I had to leave open somewhere. Lots of fast take things are receiving the 5 Finger Discount: Like tail gates, bumper pull trailers, gas in your gas tank and Catalytic Converters. I still have to install security wiring on the CAT yet to stop/slow down that issue.
It’s a sad world we live in. Luckily we don’t get a ton of that in my direct town, but the **** is getting awfully close by. My truck must be an early build bighorn as well. My tailgate open light just has a mind if it’s own too. I’ve tried a lot of things; pushing in before opening, slamming it shut harder, shutting it like a women. It just gives me fits all the time. I was hoping the 22 hybrid tundra would be out by now. I do have a tonneau cover on mine, but that was added after the continuing issues. But my tonneau opens from inside, so now if my gate won’t open I can’t even access my bed at all.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
It is a VERY easy task to do . I actually did it on my 19 Classic because I feel it is STUPID that the tailgate locks and unlocks every time i trigger the doors. PLUS if it fails I will have to cut my tonneau cover as well. I did a small write up on it a few years back also.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a VERY easy task to do . I actually did it on my 19 Classic because I feel it is STUPID that the tailgate locks and unlocks every time i trigger the doors. PLUS if it fails I will have to cut my tonneau cover as well. I did a small write up on it a few years back also.

That works for 5th gens as well?

I've never had to mess with any of my 4th/5th gen tail gates before but I know things have changed for the newer generation.

MoParts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HD
Just tossing this in as something relatively easy to try -- My locks were acting up and I decided to try resetting the BCM(among other things).

1. Disconnect both batteries
2. Short positive and negative terminals together for 15 minutes
3. Reconnect batteries

Putting on my "Captain Obvious" hat:
- Be careful when messing with battery terminals. Things can go sideways quick if you're not paying attention.
- I understand that there seems to be a mechanical component to the problem but this may help the "no click" behavior.

MoParts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HD
... I feel it is STUPID that the tailgate locks and unlocks every time i trigger the doors...
Given the craziness/lawlessness these days I have my locks set so the fob will unlock only the driver's door, I can press the button twice to unlock everything or use the inside button.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Given the craziness/lawlessness these days I have my locks set so the fob will unlock only the driver's door, I can press the button twice to unlock everything or use the inside button.
I have mine set the same way. However the tailgate ONLY unlocks when I want it unlocked or locked.
That works for 5th gens as well?

I've never had to mess with any of my 4th/5th gen tail gates before but I know things have changed for the newer generation.
I have not had a 5th gen apart so I don't know for 100% but the logic should be the same.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I might be worse. I don't even pull my fob out of my pocket. My driver's door unlocks when I touch it. Then I unlock the rest of the doors using the button on the door panel arm rest.

Maddamnmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m sick of my POS tailgate never opening when I need it to. Does anyone know if the classic style tailgate will fit on my 2019 1500 none classic truck? The dealer “replaced” the button, “greased” the mechanisms and it still is a pile of dog s***…so, again. Has anyone put the classic tailgate on their truck to eliminate the electronic button? I asked my dealer about it and they just play dumb like it’s not their problem that it takes me 20 min to get into my truck bed when I use the tailgate daily. I told them today I may just take the tailgate off and leave it off and they just laugh like I’m joking!
Zero issues my last two Rams. Sorry you’re having this issue. Take care.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Unless i read all this wrong
It sounds like the 5th Gen Rams have 2 different tailgates

One has a tailgate handle release mechanism & the other does Not ?

1645158113547.png

1645158166884.png

1645158193629.png

1645158528545.png

1645158560078.png

1645158601823.png

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe you are correct, they offer the traditional and the multi-functional tailgates. On my 2022 I ordered the multi-functional tailgate, it has touchpads for releasing either the drop-down or the barn door and it also unlocks the tailgate (if locked) if the FOB is sensed. I don't know if this is standard on all trims but this is how the multi-functional operates on a 2022 Longhorn.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would seem to me that even if it's out of warranty, the fact they didn't fix it in all the times you had it there for the same thing, it would be a continuation type thing. And as for the cvs and differential replacement, they would be reimbursed from the factory for the work. Try contacting RamCares and get a case started on it.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might be worse. I don't even pull my fob out of my pocket. My driver's door unlocks when I touch it. Then I unlock the rest of the doors using the button on the door panel arm rest.
There are little disc's inside the FOB that make the connection when you push the button. They can come loose and slide out of place, and when that happens, it only takes a very light touch to unlock the doors. My Fob on my 2011 Sport became very sensitive like that. I opened it up and reglued the disc's and solved the problem. Amazon and eBay both have sellers for the FOBs if you decide to replace yours and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like at the dealer. If you go that route, take both of them apart and put you board in the new one so you don't have to re-program the FOB.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

One has a tailgate handle release mechanism & the other does Not ?

View attachment 486180

View attachment 486181

View attachment 486182

View attachment 486183

View attachment 486184

View attachment 486185

You are correct and wrong LOL. You're correct that there are two different types of tailgates. The traditional and the multi-function tailgates. But both use electronic buttons to release, and there is no mechanical release mechanism in either version. The reason for the two different handles is the MFT version needs two different release buttons, while the traditional tailgate only has one button.

There are little disc's inside the FOB that make the connection when you push the button. They can come loose and slide out of place, and when that happens, it only takes a very light touch to unlock the doors. My Fob on my 2011 Sport became very sensitive like that. I opened it up and reglued the disc's and solved the problem. Amazon and eBay both have sellers for the FOBs if you decide to replace yours and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like at the dealer. If you go that route, take both of them apart and put you board in the new one so you don't have to re-program the FOB.
Thanks for the tip, but there's nothing wrong with my fobs. My truck has proximity keyless entry, and unlocks when I touch either front door handle as long as I am in possession of the fob. Same with the tailgate, it unlocks when touched as long as the fob is in range.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
And to think that I've gone for weeks with the fob laying in the counsol of the truck
Glad I life where I do and not where some of you seem to.
:)

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Your tailgate problem sounds similar to my Rambox problem. About 4 months ago I started to notice that it was open. The first time or two I thought that I had not closed it thoroughly but finally figured out it was just inadvertently opening on its own. It also started to become difficult to open. Pressing the button did nothing and then sometimes pressing the button would result in hearing it activate 10-20 times rapidly. I took it in to the dealer and there was a recall of the wiring harness. They replaced it and it was still not fixed. So they installed another harness and it still didn’t remedy the problem. They then determined that it needed a new switch (button). That took another 3 weeks to get. They finally installed that and so far so good but I’m still going to wait a while before I put anything of value back in the Rambox. Also, I have difficulty closing my tailgate if I use the fob to open it? That said, I still like my RAM much better than my Silverado with the crappy GM transmission!