Possible for removed tailgate to trigger ETC warning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dm123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my 2021 1500 Laramie in Jan 2021 - love it and all has worked perfectly in it, until this past weekend.

We have a 33ft 6000lbs travel trailer and have towed in a few dozen times with the Ram. Just got a golf cart for the camp sites and wanted to bring it along.

Removed the tailgate and easily got the golf cart in the bed (barely) - I would not have been able to close the tailgate, and can't tow a trailer with the tailgate down.

Hooked up the trailer and noticed about 90 minutes into the drive that the ETC warning light was on. Noticed it shortly after filling up, but not certain when it actually came on.

Got to the campsite just fine - didn't seem to be any loss in power, control, speed, etc....only a decrease in MPG, which I attributed to towing + a 1400lbs golf cart in the bed.

Drove it about 2.5hrs on Saturday for an outing (no tailgate) and the ETC light was on the entire time. Concerned, I called the dealer and they said to bring it in, but I was 3hrs from home and the local dealership service dept had already closed for the weekend. Took it in this morning (Monday) and they ran the codes -- only thing that came up were comms errors for the tailgate camera. Packed up the campsite and took everything home - ETC light on the whole way. Put the tailgate back on when I got home and as soon as I started the truck, no ETC light. Waited a bit and restarted and drove in the driveway a bit, no ETC light.

Going to go for a ride tomorrow to check it out further, BUT, is it at all possible that the missing tailgate would have caused the ETC light to trigger? It makes no sense to me, but reading a lot on this forum and others, there have been some wacky diagnoses for ETC issues.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dm123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Drove around a bunch today, not ETC light.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca