Tailgate stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dsmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a LED tailgate light bar on my 2019 1500. In the process I removed my tailgate. When I put the tailgate back on, I closed it before I could connect the power to it and now it’s stuck closed. Any ideas? Without going to dealership?

Attachments

• IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 39

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With Gen 4 Rams,
take the tailgate inspection plate off
simply slip the two plastic clips off the rods & then move the 2 rods to the side a bit & the tailgate will open

this video shows enough for you to figure it out

Last edited:

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just curious, did you cover the hole that lowers your spare? I did, but I mounted my bar on earth magnets so I can remove it without damaging it.

OP
OP
D

Dsmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried doing the manual opening but that didn’t work. I’m probably going to have to take it to the dealership and have them figure it out.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This has been a concern since I got this truck. It has an electronic lock only - no key - so if something happened while it was in the locked position there is no way for me to unlock it. I asked the dealer if there was a swap I could make to one with either both a key and electronic lock, or just a keyed lock, and he said they don't have anything like that for the 2023 2500.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tried doing the manual opening but that didn’t work. I’m probably going to have to take it to the dealership and have them figure it out.
What, exactly, didn’t work? You weren’t able to manually flip the latches open on each side? You might have to wiggle the tailgate in and out to relieve tension from the latches.
Also, just to be sure, the video in post 2 is incorrect for your truck. The video in post 3 is correct.

OP
OP
D

Dsmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What, exactly, didn’t work? You weren’t able to manually flip the latches open on each side? You might have to wiggle the tailgate in and out to relieve tension from the latches.
Also, just to be sure, the video in post 2 is incorrect for your truck. The video in post 3 is correct.
The manual flipping didn’t work and I snapped one off trying to flip it

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Isn't there an access panel on the inside of the tailgate, take the screws out and open it up and you can more than likely find a way to unlock it.

CRNARAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve done the same. Crawl under the bumper and plug your tailgate in while it’s in the closed position.

OP
OP
D

Dsmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve done the same. Crawl under the bumper and plug your tailgate in while it’s in the closed position.
I can’t. The power supply from
The tailgate is stuck between the tailgate and bed so there’s no way they can reach