Possible starter relay going out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an ‘07 Ram with the 5.7 and I’m wanting to know if the starter is run through a relay, if so where might it be?
The truck wouldn’t start Thursday shortly after getting home. It would only click under the hood. I tried again this morning (Saturday) and no start. My meter showed 12.4 volts. Jumped it off, meter showed 14.2 volts then. Killed the truck tried restarting and got the clicking noise again and then it started.
To me this sounds like maybe the relay is weak. Am I correct? If so, I ask again where the relay is?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change the battery. A weak battery when the starter tries to engage will draw to much power and you’ll just get the relay clicking. The battery needs to be load tested. Not just with a meter as that doesn’t tell you how many cranking amps the battery has left.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll get the battery tested as soon as I can. It has been starting fine for several times now.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Clean your terminals,and check all the grounds you can. Probably battery is going away.