Potentially Looking at a 2016 Ram Few Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am Potentially Looking at a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 tomorrow has there been any known common problems with this year that I should know about ? it has 70k on has some what i consider minor body damage so price is right.

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
8spd or 6? Hopefully the 8. Aside from checking for usual fluid leaks and maybe water leaks in the cabin, test the parking brake and check for parking brake cable sag which is a tell tale of stuck p brake parts.

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
I am Potentially Looking at a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 tomorrow has there been any known common problems with this year that I should know about ? it has 70k on has some what i consider minor body damage so price is right.
Cam and lifters go around 100k
I overheated mine but I am to blame for that

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing specific about that year vs. other years, the last significant mechanical change was for '13 when the power steering became electric, traction control changed, the 4.7 and 3.7 went away and the 8 speed became available.

There's nothing wrong with the 6 speed transmission, it's just kinda at its limits with the Hemi so if you start building power your transmission won't last real long. If you have the knob for gear selection you have the 8 speed.

Like before there are two different 4wd transfer cases and 3 different axle gear ratios and the rear differential could have a clutch limited slip, or not. The limited slip is always desirable but the transfer case type and axle ratio are going to be better or worse for you depending on your intended use for the vehicle.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing specific about that year vs. other years, the last significant mechanical change was for '13 when the power steering became electric, traction control changed, the 4.7 and 3.7 went away and the 8 speed became available.

There's nothing wrong with the 6 speed transmission, it's just kinda at its limits with the Hemi so if you start building power your transmission won't last real long. If you have the knob for gear selection you have the 8 speed.

Like before there are two different 4wd transfer cases and 3 different axle gear ratios and the rear differential could have a clutch limited slip, or not. The limited slip is always desirable but the transfer case type and axle ratio are going to be better or worse for you depending on your intended use for the vehicle.

yea it has the knob its a 8 speed just waiting to hear back from the guy im aware of the normal hemi issues cause I have a few just wanted to make sure nothing crazy for 2016 never had one this new ahaha.

Thanks,.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yea it has the knob its a 8 speed just waiting to hear back from the guy im aware of the normal hemi issues cause I have a few just wanted to make sure nothing crazy for 2016 never had one this new ahaha.

Thanks,.

have had my 2016 for 18 months, 34k when I bought it, 53k now and has had zero issues.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cam and lifters go around 100k
I overheated mine but I am to blame for that

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
I read somewhere in this forum that the cam / lifter failure rate is 5% of hemis. Most common on vehicles that have a lot of idle time. You can check idle versus drivetime in evic.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp they left out that it was 2wd so close deal was done til I found that out who the hell wants a 2wd lol on to the next one I have a 2011 ram currently with over 200k on it every once ina while a good deal comes up on a newer one with less miles.

Last edited: