Power Folding Mirror Fix / Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLE86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the middle of fixing my power folding mirrors now. I'm new to the forum I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie, Neither mirrors are currently working I came across this video just thought I'd share. Shows how to get the mirror apart. I'll keep you updated as I go.

RLE86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if any others are having the issue with the power folding mirrors but mine both broke and I was looking at a $1200 repair bill.

Its all due to a plastic gear in there which breaks and its not hard to fix it.

GruvenParts makes the replacement metal gears for this unit. So when its off warranty you can just replace the plastic gear in there with a metal 1. Heres a link, hope it helps some others to save $$, these mirrors are really expensive.

https://www.gruvenparts.com/ram-power-folding-mirror-gears-and-motors/

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just so everyone knows, and I know its been asked - the 4th gen and 5th gen mirrors are not the same internals.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have any ideas why my passenger mirror will not tilt in reverse yet I can use the switch and move it in all directions? I added these mirrors to my truck from a 2018 2500 and they are both memory mirrors. It tilted a couple of times but for the most part won’t do anything now when I put the truck in reverse. No issues at all with the drivers side.

Pdurdon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was curious if anyone was successful with this repair. I was able to get mine disassembled to this point but can’t get into the motor where the are pivots Any help would be appreciated C1116397-1FA3-42DF-8327-A9BC4DD3C78C.jpeg

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I was curious if anyone was successful with this repair. I was able to get mine disassembled to this point but can’t get into the motor where the are pivots Any help would be appreciated View attachment 469255
I know this is an older thread but did you ever figure this out? I might be trying to do this.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ran across this post as my 20177 Laramie passenger side mirror is intermittent in folding. As I was reading through the Gruven website information on the replacement gear, it has this caveat posted in the DIY section for folks just wanting to replace the gear vice replacing the entire motor unit:

"** You Must Use the GruvenParts.com replacement motors when using this brass gear. This
is because the OEM motor sends current through the motor case, which isn’t an issue with
the plastic spur gear. However, when using the brass spur gear, the current path could
proceed to ground. Our motors do not use the motor case for the ground and therefore must
be used with the brass spur gear"

Just thought I would through this out there in case folks might be inclined to use the replacement brass gear in the OEM system.... YMMV...